08-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Is this legit?

f-y-x88hU9Y

TomcoPDR
08-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Seems like she's just British to me

nismodrifter
08-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Yes it is legit. Have yet to see any kinds of crazy neuro cases like this but I've always found these kinds of syndromes to be very interesting.....shows you how powerful the mind is.

spikerS
08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
it's funny. I have some friends from London and Austrailia / New Zealand, and when I get around them, I often catch myself starting to pick up their accents and mentally have to tell myself to stop it. they all think it is funny as shit.

One time though, it started happening when I was talking to the cashier at a blockbuster in Crowfoot. Guy was from the deep south and his accent was pretty thick, and before I knew it, I picked it up and had no clue until the guy got mad and looked like he was gonna jump the counter and beat me to a pulp when my ex said to stop it and he asked me quite angerly if I thought I was being funny...

jdmXSI
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by spikers
it's funny. I have some friends from London and Austrailia / New Zealand, and when I get around them, I often catch myself starting to pick up their accents and mentally have to tell myself to stop it. they all think it is funny as shit.

One time though, it started happening when I was talking to the cashier at a blockbuster in Crowfoot. Guy was from the deep south and his accent was pretty thick, and before I knew it, I picked it up and had no clue until the guy got mad and looked like he was gonna jump the counter and beat me to a pulp when my ex said to stop it and he asked me quite angerly if I thought I was being funny...

Haha i find myself quite often mimicking asian customers accents when i am with them and always think afterwards if they take offense to it. In a sincerity i am not intentionally being offensive and all i can wrap it up to, is trying to relate with them alittle bit.

V6-BoI
08-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by spikers

I remember talking to a person and she told me her boy friend (who's Canadian) went to Austrailia for a couple years and came back with an Austrailian accent. It's seems strange to me, because I figure if you've been speaking english like how we speak it in Canada all your life that it would just stay like that regardless of where you go.

spikerS
08-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Haha i find myself quite often mimicking asian customers accents when i am with them and always think afterwards if they take offense to it. In a sincerity i am not intentionally being offensive and all i can wrap it up to, is trying to relate with them alittle bit.

I thought the same thing. See, i don't do it intentionally, and I can slide right into their accent without even knowing it, and it will continue until i finally notice I am doing it and mentally check myself to stop it. Then all I think about is I must sound like a fool, because I am sure they notice when it happens, just too polite to say anything.

TYMSMNY
08-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't find her to have a chinese accent.....

seems like she can't talk properly and enunciate words... offended. lol.

lsc2g
08-19-2011, 11:01 AM
you do pick up accents after living places for a long time

i used to work in the southern US and we speak wayyy to fast for them to understand you.. restaurants pissed me off so bad.. i had to start speaking slower.. then next thing i know i'm saying yall

and i come home after 5 months and people are like whoa you have the southern accent now

revelations
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I seem to only pick up on accents if I like how they sound. (eg. Oz or Kiwi accents)

Southern U.S. accents are stupid and make one sound like an inbred... so I make a mental note to NOT sound like one everytime I hear that.

Power_Of_Rotary
08-21-2011, 10:46 AM
so people who are slower, stutters, cant move there jaw, and has time gaps between words = chinese accent

definitely offensive

03ozwhip
08-21-2011, 11:25 AM
^^dude really? come on, quit being a baby. when you watch the video you dont really hear much of it, when you listen to it without watching her though, you can definitely hear it.

clem24
08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^dude really? come on, quit being a baby. when you watch the video you dont really hear much of it, when you listen to it without watching her though, you can definitely hear it.

Yeah LOL she still obviously talks like any ordinary British person but when she says words like "Germany" and "people", yeah it's definitely got a strong Chinese accent to it hahaha.

Vagabond142
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
It's weird in that normally, I speak with a slightly Kiwi-tinged Canadian accent. However, whenever I'm in the company of Kiwi's for an extended period, my accent comes out full force. I literally have two accents o_O

jsn
08-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Not a true Chinese accent, but if you listen carefully it sorta sounds like a very slight one. Seems like it comes and goes though when she speaks. Only some words sounds like it has the accent.

xxviet
08-23-2011, 12:04 AM
chinese accent? where?? im half chinese so im half offended by her accent

Sentry
08-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Sounds like Jeff Bridges in Starman.

kevie88
08-23-2011, 06:53 AM
She sounds Italian half the time lol.

On a side note, I think people pick up accents because we have a deep desire to fit in to the society around us. My cousin moved to the UK about 5 years ago and definitely speaks with a partial Londoner accent. Her husband doesn't hear it but I certainly can!

D'z Nutz
08-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't hear any Chinese accent. This is what her speech reminds me of.

u2m6sHROA3U

clem24
08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I don't hear any Chinese accent.

I think because all we hear is a British accent. If you've ever heard a Chinese guy with a British accent (used to be quite common in HK), you'd totally hear it.

On an related note, funny how Canadians have an accent when we're in Britain, and how they find our accents really sexy, pretty much the same way we feel about their accents.

KKY
08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Weird stuff.... If anyone is interested, I found a couple examples showing how British English with a Chinese (Cantonese) accent sound like.

More British
I4q4rxbR6zU

More Chinese
XDA44JD7OEg

GQBalla
08-23-2011, 04:58 PM
am i the only one that can hear it?

shes fobby for sure.

spikerS
08-23-2011, 05:03 PM
i hear it too

Melinda
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah I can hear it too. Weird though. She kind of moves her mouth like someone who's had a stroke or is partially deaf. Her voice has a lilt of it too.