PDA

View Full Version : Golds Gym Northgate

scboss
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
To start off I aboslutly loved working out at this gym except for the lack of maitenance sometimes. So as a few of you know on here I am a personal trainer at a different facility in calgary and I was looking to suspend my membership(contract is up). Time has been scarce latly and ive been able to only fit my workouts in between clients at my work.

I went in today, I was threatened with a $200 cancellation fee even tho my contract was up and my paperwork said otherwise. After asking why she said she would waive it this one time :rofl:. I know how gyms work and she was so full of shit. Then the unexpected I have to mail a letter in order to cancel WTF? Im not even on contract anymore. This place is a joke and I never realized it till today. If you guys ever decide to sign up there give no bank info and cash only.

Im not gonna say what gym I work at but when you cancel here you come in tell them why and they take care of it for you. Now im waiting 31 days hoping they dont withdrawl money after its cancelled.

To think I actually thought of switching there to be a trainer. Glad I didnt what a disorganized place

End OF Rant :nut:

GQBalla
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
yeah i have heard you have to send registered mail to get it cancelled.

G-ZUS
08-19-2011, 12:47 PM
So much :facepalm: at that gym

zipdoa
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
This has been discussed in depth already. I've been fucked over, along with many others.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288099/need-advice-for-cancelling-golds-membership/

JfuckinC
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
sighhhhhhh
sugh great equipment.. (those new racks in the back :drool: ) but it's true they just wanna fuck you.. i work out in chestermere now.. way smaller but no douchebags or fucked contracts :dunno:

-relk-
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
There are lots of horror stories out there with gyms... WHC, Golds etc...

My experience has been one of the rare ones. I was with WHC on a monthly basis as a Student. When I wanted to cancel, I gave them 30 days notice, signed a paper the clerk gave me, and I was not charged after that period. Just glad I was one of the lucky ones.

ddduke
08-19-2011, 04:38 PM
My brother spent 6 months trying to cancel after his 1 year was up. He works 4 on 4 off so on his days off he'd always stop by trying to cancel and no one would speak to him. after they said they cancelled his membership they still charged him so he went back again and they made him pay some cancellation fee (after they said it was done). Then they took him to collections and still didn't cancel it.

I used to work out at the Gold's on 130th but I knew the horror stories so i paid upfront.

My friend works at the juice bar at Gold's and they even took her to collections. They're absolutely fucked.

I'm so worried about gyms now that I pay month to month at the stupidly inflated rate just to not have this happen to me. At World health by mount royal they were charging me $90/month but then I dropped in at Goodlife in Richmond which is soooooo much better and they only charge $66.50/month.

scboss
08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I just don't understand how they can do this even tho my contract has been up for two years. Such bs. The gym I train at is 26 bi weekly for one year then when it's up it's 22 biweekly on month to month no cancellation.

Edit
I did some more research about this and apparently many of the peoples fees get withdrawn after the 30 days. I better keep an eye on my bank statements.

Teknix
08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Oh my god. I've been on a two year contract and I'm paying 80/month. Contract is up in october so I better be able to cancel it.

[Yu]
08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Teknix
Oh my god. I've been on a two year contract and I'm paying 80/month. Contract is up in october so I better be able to cancel it.

If it is up in October, I suggest going through with all the paper work to cancel now.

I wasn't with Gold's but I was with WHC, which is just as much as a hassle. The staff suggest you cancel your membership early so all the work is done before hand, and thus your last month is truly your last month.

npham
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Just signed up at WHC where you pay $19 bi weekly, no contract, $199 due at signup but you can only use 1 gym(wasn't an issue for me). Over a year, this is cheaper than their basic package, even if they wave the $199 fee.

Hallowed_point
11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Figured I'd bump this one rather then start a new thread.

Did a drop in at this place the other weekend with my gf.Probably the worst overall experience I've had at any gym EVER. I've had 5 or 6 gym memberships total.

-Walk in with my "free 2 day vip pass" chick at the desk did not want to let me in with it for some reason. I was with my gf who is a member of this gym. Chick at the desk was refusing to sign it and said that she was not authorized to do so :drama: Finally, after much arm twisting she reluctantly allowed me in but only this once?? Her reason had something to do with the fact that the consultant wasn't here although it didn't see anything about this on the card nor was this explained to my gf. Yes , I'm VERY likely to join your gym if this is how you welcome a prospective member :facepalm:

-The clientele. Oh boy..where to start!

*I've worked out at plenty of gyms , my current one being pro bodies in marda loop which is a "no frills" type gym not a yoga mom gym. As such, I'm no stranger to the odd steroid monkey etc. Doesn't bother me. Granted , this is a gym in the N.E. but what an eye opening experience! In my 1 hour workout I got the stare down from ex-con looking types more then once. I saw 2 steroid freak chicks. Lot's of usual juice monkeys and the chin strap lebanese wannabe gangster types curling 15 lbs with their "bros. " There was maybe 1 or 2 people who didn't look like they belong in a circus or wanted poster. That's including me.

-One of the steroid monkeys actually moved my water bottle off the counter in the change room (as I'm getting changed) presumably so that he could admire his shaved arm pits and practice his posing routine.

-Lot's of threatening signs printed and posted throughout the gym. MUCH more then usual.

Needless to say , I will not be joining this gym! Screw golds. The Arnold posters were pretty awesome though.

Modelexis
11-02-2012, 11:06 PM
A gym is what you make of it, as long as they have the equipment to suit your needs it's really up to you to make it the experience that you want.

Sounds like you had a bad experience at the counter and were in a pissy mood the entire workout.
The reason I say that is because I know the feeling, I know the mood, I know how things play out when you're irritated and waiting for someone in the gym to piss you off. I can speak from experience that this mood is 80% of the negative experience you were having.

You're there to work out, not be surrounded by guys that look act and think like you. You're not there to judge women who put in more effort in one workout than you will over the course of a year.

Stop gazing around at the guys and focus on your workout.

You didn't even mention the equipment.

How many hundreds of people are members at that gym at any given time, it's not really fair to judge an entire club on one employee and a handful of members present during the one hour you happen to be in the building.

Cheer up dude.

jdmXSI
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM
^^^ threatening signs?

Anyhow, I've had a fair positive experience with whc on 2 occasions. The first was when one of their reps attached someone else account to mine so I was getting charged twice a month. I didn't notice for a couple years and they reimbursed the full amount when it was brought to their attention. The second was when I cancelled after 8 years with WHC. I moved from the sw (Richmond club) to the nw (edgemont club) and didn't see the extra "value" in that specific club. Once I voiced I wanted to cancel, they were reluctant but cancelled without any issues. Currently I'm with good life and let's hope there's no issues at the beacon club.

Hallowed_point
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
A gym is what you make of it, as long as they have the equipment to suit your needs it's really up to you to make it the experience that you want.

Sounds like you had a bad experience at the counter and were in a pissy mood the entire workout.

You're there to work out, not be surrounded by guys that look act and think like you. Your're not there to judge women who put in more effort in workout than you will over the course of a year.

Stop gazing around at the guys and focus on your workout.

You didn't even mention the equipment.

How many hundreds of people are members at that gym at any given time, it's not really fair to judge an entire club on one employee and a handful of members present during the one hour you happen to be in the building.

Cheer up dude.

Your right, believe me I'm well aware of ignoring people and focusing on the task at hand. First impressions do make a big difference though, and it didn't get better from the get go.

This place was packed with these characters and it was busy as hell. Kinda hard to ignore them.

I would hardly call someone who wants to die by 50 of steroid and hgh abuse as someone to envy like these "women" heh.

The equipment, well lots of machines. Not much of a fan of machines prefer free weights and chin up bars.

Like I say, I'm no gym noob. I've been working out for 10+ years. It gave me the feeling of being in a prison yard, so I guess +1 for unique experience?? lol

Modelexis
11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
How many people have you heard of that have died from steroid use at age 50?

Ronnie Coleman is nearly 50 years old and he has taken enough steroids to kill 3 cows but still alive and well.

Hallowed_point
11-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
^^^ threatening signs?

Yeah just condescending printer paper signage everywhere I looked. Do this, do that, don't do this. All gyms have this to a certain degree, but they went overboard imo. It just came across as hostile and unwelcoming.

Hallowed_point
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
How many people have you heard of that have died from steroid use at age 50?

Ronnie Coleman is nearly 50 years old and he has taken enough steroids to kill 3 cows but still alive and well.

Well this is opening a whole different can o' worms but a good portion of the WWE wrestlers from the 80's , 90's have died well before 50. Of course, there are other factors at play such as the grueling schedule, recreational drugs etc. But the heart enlargement/failure does point the finger in that direction.

Ronnie Coleman is also not a fair comparison to a woman who probably has a clit the size of my thumb from juicing :eek: Ronnie Coleman has the money and influence to have specialized medical attention just like Arnold and Sly. These are not realistic comparisons to the average person ordering juice from Thailand and shooting up in the bathroom.

jdmXSI
11-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Yeah just condescending printer paper signage everywhere I looked. Do this, do that, don't do this. All gyms have this to a certain degree, but they went overboard imo. It just came across as hostile and unwelcoming.

Gotcha. Kinda like good life and their Patch says this and patch said that... Just a we bit too much propaganda if you ask me.

bigbadboss101
11-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Well you can check out Strive which is right behind that mall where the Gold's is. Not many machines, lot of olympic weights and racks. The clientele at WHC Sunridge is pretty decent too.

rizfarmer
11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Figured I'd bump this one rather then start a new thread.

Did a drop in at this place the other weekend with my gf.Probably the worst overall experience I've had at any gym EVER. I've had 5 or 6 gym memberships total.

-Walk in with my "free 2 day vip pass" chick at the desk did not want to let me in with it for some reason. I was with my gf who is a member of this gym. Chick at the desk was refusing to sign it and said that she was not authorized to do so :drama: Finally, after much arm twisting she reluctantly allowed me in but only this once?? Her reason had something to do with the fact that the consultant wasn't here although it didn't see anything about this on the card nor was this explained to my gf. Yes , I'm VERY likely to join your gym if this is how you welcome a prospective member :facepalm:

-The clientele. Oh boy..where to start!

*I've worked out at plenty of gyms , my current one being pro bodies in marda loop which is a "no frills" type gym not a yoga mom gym. As such, I'm no stranger to the odd steroid monkey etc. Doesn't bother me. Granted , this is a gym in the N.E. but what an eye opening experience! In my 1 hour workout I got the stare down from ex-con looking types more then once. I saw 2 steroid freak chicks. Lot's of usual juice monkeys and the chin strap lebanese wannabe gangster types curling 15 lbs with their "bros. " There was maybe 1 or 2 people who didn't look like they belong in a circus or wanted poster. That's including me.

-One of the steroid monkeys actually moved my water bottle off the counter in the change room (as I'm getting changed) presumably so that he could admire his shaved arm pits and practice his posing routine.

-Lot's of threatening signs printed and posted throughout the gym. MUCH more then usual.

Needless to say , I will not be joining this gym! Screw golds. The Arnold posters were pretty awesome though.

:rofl: Jesus what time did u go? If you've had half a dozen gym memberships and have been working out for 10+ years you had to have had some kind of idea of what you were walking into? While I mostly agree with your experience , ie 'juice monkeys and the chin strap lebanese wannabe gangster types curling 15 lbs with their "bros"' (you forgot the scent of b.o./axe wafting from their direction) it really sounds like you were on your period this day.

C'mone, they're people working at a gym... what can you really expect from them in so far a competency and common courtesy? You're asking too much. I admit I had to force my self to go to the place since a job change made it more convenient to work out there about a year ago, but compared to any other gym I've been to golds NE has a significantly more impressive selection of weights/machines.

For those of you wondering what a 'threatening' sign is, this is my fav posted up in the locker room (paraphrasing),"You won't have a mess to complain about if you don't leave one". Seriously? This what you tell your kids which justifies leaving your house in constant animal farm status? Go mop the floors once in a while:rolleyes: