PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work at ARC Resources?

visualk
08-19-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm currently looking for a new job and I've heard great things of this company and would love to join this company, does anyone have contacts there? I'm an accountant by trade. Other companies on my radar are:

Cenovus Energy
Conoco Philips
Pengrowth
StatOil

Any other companies that you guys would recommend checking out?

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 06:18 AM
ARC sounds like a good company to work for, but depending on the position, it can be very hard to get in. They focus on getting the "perfect" candidate, rather than just filling the vacancy with the best of the applicants. That means sometimes they leave positions unfilled for extended periods.

Come work at Devon, we're fun. Look up "best places to work" and Devon and do some reading. We also have a good reputation.

darthVWader
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
What’s important to you? Money, Culture, what kind of office you get, local decisions or foreign processes?

Cenovus - head office Calgary moving into the new Bow building

ConocoPhillips - head office Houston. In two locations in Calgary. BowValley and Gulf Canada. Bow Valley private offices Gulf is open landscape.

Pengrowth - head office Calgary

Statoil - head office Norway. New offices in Jamieson place. 90% private offices.

colinxx235
08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
ARC sounds like a good company to work for, but depending on the position, it can be very hard to get in. They focus on getting the "perfect" candidate, rather than just filling the vacancy with the best of the applicants. That means sometimes they leave positions unfilled for extended periods.

Come work at Devon, we're fun. Look up "best places to work" and Devon and do some reading. We also have a good reputation.

Devon seemed tough to get into at as a new grad without interning there.

I applied to the production engineering position in early October. Mid January they e-mailed a few of us, took us all to the Stadium Keg for a dinner the day before the interview. Told us >600 applied in 5 days, and we made it down to the final 14 kids or so. Stated three positions available (crowsnest, bonneville, fort st.johns).

Had an interview (wasn't my best, first time I was ever nervous, Devon is a good company and I really wanted the job). Post interview never heard a word, which was a little surprising to not be told a thing. But oh well, I'll be keeping my eye open in the future if a position opens up.

GQBalla
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I swear all of the girls that work at Devon are models.

R-Audi
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Unless you have a friend at ARC that can hand in your resume via Employee Refferal program, all application go through HR via the website. There are a few people on Beyond that work there, but Im not sure how often then check....

Great company to work for though... big on creating a great working environment and keeping everyone happy. They recently moved into Jamieson Place and their private amenities include a Fitness Centre, Friday Breakfasts, Games Lounge and TV lounges on every floor....

Mitsu3000gt
08-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a friend who works for Statoil (engineer).

Basically, they are a no-fun company. Not allowed to drink at lunch meetings, he has 1pm meetings ALL THE TIME, early morning meetings, etc. Good compensation and everything as far as I know, but a very strict company that probably isn't that fun to work for.

darthVWader
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
I know someone at Statoil.
It’s a very process driving company (36,000 employee’s world wide)
Norwegian expats fill most of the top positions for now.
400 employee’s in Calgary

The perks

• 2 TV lounges on every floor
• Pop, Juice, coffee, tea, fruit and snacks supplied
• In house masseuse
• Free use of Jamieson gym
• One set Friday off every month
• Babysitting program
• Private offices
• Trips to Norway
• Etc ect ect

Down side (or maybe a plus)

• No social club
• No united way campaign
• Strict alcohol policy
• Norwegians

austic
08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Devon is great, but its tough to get in. And where are all these models working?

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Devon has a few top notch gals, but I think the "models" are the exception and not the rule.

As for new grad positions, yeah, we get a shitton of applications, so it's tough to get those jobs. I doubt it's much worse at Devon than at any of the other places mentioned. The 597 new grads we didn't hire are all applying to Cenovus, Conoco etc right now, just like you.

That's not a Devon phenomenon, that's industry wide. There are a lot of new grads, and it takes time to integrate them into the industry. The good news is that the prospects for young employees is pretty bright because of the huge number of retirements coming over the next 10 years.

msommers
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
The good news is that the prospects for young employees is pretty bright because of the huge number of retirements coming over the next 10 years.

I've been hearing this for quite a few years and nothing really appears to have changed. Recession likely attributed to that and senior position holders are hanging on longer than expected but it's aggravating to hear such optimism and see nothing really change.

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
If the recession put everyone's retirement back 5 years, then yeah, this may have delayed the gratification that us "young" people will get, but it doesn't change the trend.

Those old guys might work till 60, 65 or 70, but they aren't working till 90.

Markov7
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have a friend who works for Statoil (engineer).

Basically, they are a no-fun company. Not allowed to drink at lunch meetings, he has 1pm meetings ALL THE TIME, early morning meetings, etc. Good compensation and everything as far as I know, but a very strict company that probably isn't that fun to work for.

I have no idea where you heard this, but I work at Statoil and the people in my team are amazingly fun. I do agree that there are a lot of meetings though...

EDIT: I guess I can't really say other departments are fun as well, i'm only an intern.

Aleks
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Didnt know you worked at Devon. What group?

cars5431
08-24-2011, 10:20 PM
ARC is a great company to work for, have been there for 5.5 years, It is breakfast on wednesdays haha.

we do have strict hiring criteria but i believe that is part of what makes the company what it is

ExtraSlow
08-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Didnt know you worked at Devon. What group? Drilling.