PDA

View Full Version : Resume - Short time at a job...

stealth
08-21-2011, 03:27 AM
So I am updating my resume, and the job I had previous to my current one, I only held for about 5 months.

Is it recommended to list it in my resume? Or should I leave it out... I have been told by a co-worker to leave it out, and to enter that I ended I my last job 5 months later...

Any opinions?

CompletelyNumb
08-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Depends on how necessary that job experience would be to your next employer.

I'd just use years on the resumes instead of full dates. That what I used to do.

eg:

2010 - 2011 ABC Company Calgary, AB

Even if you were only there for December and January.

Using this method you don't have to lie about your other previous job ending later than it did.

:dunno:

swak
08-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

I'd just use years on the resumes instead of full dates. That what I used to do.

eg:

Using this method you don't have to lie about your other previous job ending later than it did.

THIS!

haha.. did the exact same thing, and had jobs that only lasted a few months and they looked godly in that format (neve been questioned on them in my interviews too).

Mar
08-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Was it contract work? That you can list by the month, I have a few on my resume that are 5 months.

M.alex
08-21-2011, 12:00 PM
1 - use years; do people seriously know the exact length of time they've been at a company? if somebody asks I say 'I dunno, I started somewhere mid-05'

2 - if you don't want to put something down on your resume, don't. there's no law saying you must list every single thing you've ever done. Keep it short (2pages max + 1/2pg. cover letter) and to the point. If that job utilized your skills effectively, put it down. if it didn't, don't.

stealth
08-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

eg:

Yes the job is relevant.

Thanks guys for the info.

I guess I will list it like this?

ABC Company 2010-Present
XYZ Company 2010-2010? Or just 2010

gqmw
08-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Just 2010

stealth
08-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
Just 2010

Thanks.

jsn
08-23-2011, 01:46 AM
+1 for years. If you do decide to leave certain positions out, make sure you don't have huge gaps in you resume. They might wonder why you were "unemployed" at that time.

Thaco
08-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by jsn
+1 for years. If you do decide to leave certain positions out, make sure you don't have huge gaps in you resume. They might wonder why you were "unemployed" at that time. This

Void times are much more suspicious than short employments.

slick2404
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
On the topic of resumes, I've been out of school for a bit & have good work experience but am looking for help in putting it all together and presenting myself in a way that will get me more interviews. After the initial call I'm sure I can handle the rest myself.

Has anyone used a professional resume writing service before? If so any recommendations would be great. :hijack:

juwantme
09-02-2011, 07:34 PM
If you got let go by your previous employer during the probationary period, how do you explain this during an interview at a new job for why you left your last job?

If you say it was contract then its like why did you leave a secure job for a contract role?