PDA

View Full Version : Towtruck recommendations from Hanna, AB to Calgary?

IRL
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Worst luck ever...2007 Corolla broke down in Hanna, AB and in desperate need of a tow or ideas on how to bring it back. I was quoted $750 to get it to Calgary, does anyone have ideas of know of a cheaper solution? Does anyone know of any solution apart from paying the regular tow truck ransom??

Any help would be appreciated!

spacerz
08-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Rent a dolly or trailer from uhaul.

redblack
08-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Get a CAA plus membership. It allows towing up to 160km per breakdown. You will have to pay extra above the 160km but I'm not sure how much it is. Probly be less than the 750 u were quoted

megavolt
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
$750 sounds about right for a tow from there. I paid $400 for a tow from Olds. Like spacerz said, if you have access to a truck rent a uhaul dolly. Maybe rent the truck too...

racerjim
08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
What happened to the corolla? You would probably be best to just get it fixed at a shop in hanna and save the tow money. You might pay a bit more but im sure there is a shop in town that can get it going for you again to drive to calgary.

Resurrected RA
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I second the AMA membership, I had a VW that had to be towed from Forestburg, AB. to the VW dealership in Red Deer. It would have been significantly more without the AMA membership.

IRL
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
The corolla broke down about 120km east of Hanna and I paid $350 to have it towed to GMC Hanna (that was the closest mechanic I could see/find). I left a note for them to repair the vehicle. They called me a day later and said since they don't have the proper scan tool to pull codes from my car, they were unable to repair and suggest I take it to Toyota.

They pushed it into the parking lot where it sits now. I will be renting a truck this weekend with a tow dolly and bring it back to the dealership in Calgary, that will run me approx $300 or so.

Mechanics now a days seem to rely to much on electronic equipment instead of the old vehicle knowledge to troubleshoot and repair.

Thanks for the help!

shynepho
08-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Edit: wrong post

VetteRacin
08-25-2011, 08:07 PM
with the amount of electronics in cars these days they almost have to rely on the scan tools, its not like anything from carb days when you can hear whats going on