PDA

View Full Version : BC mans car accedently crushed in impound

sevewone
08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110823/bc_story_towing_110823/20110823?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

The best part:

"Busters is offering to pay him the black book value for a '92 Tercel, which is $800.

But Gray says his car was worth about $6,000 and he has the bills to prove it. " :rofl:

jdmXSI
08-23-2011, 05:44 PM
In all fairness, he shouldnt have been drinking and driving... He's lucky thats all that happened and they're paying him anything. I have no sympathy for him.

nissanK
08-23-2011, 07:27 PM
^^I'm with you. If he didn't drink and drive, he'd obviously still be driving. It's actually kind of funny universal justice if you think about :nut:

Isaiah
08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sevewone
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110823/bc_story_towing_110823/20110823?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

The best part:

"Busters is offering to pay him the black book value for a '92 Tercel, which is $800.

But Gray says his car was worth about $6,000 and he has the bills to prove it. " :rofl:
I would argue that the best part is:

"To have your car accidentally crushed has got to be a real bummer," said ICBC spokesperson Mark Jan Vrem.

sevewone
08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

I would argue that the best part is:

LOL oh wow missed that one :rofl:

spikerS
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
well of note, he was drinking and driving, but if i understand it correctly, he blew yellow. A guy his size that probably took 2 or 3 beers.

having your car towed and crushed is a pretty big fuck up. If ICBC is only offering less than $1300, and yet that one repair bill alone is over $3k, I would be pretty insulted as well. If he has all those receipts, it tells me that he maintained the car pretty well...

Resurrected RA
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I agree he shouldn't have been drinking and driving, however, why should the consequences of his actions be more then anyone else? A 72 hour impound was sufficient for his crime, not the loss of his transportation. Buster's should make amends for their mistake.

ICBC shouldn't have anything to do with this, unless they plan to recoup from Buster's at a later date.

Modelexis
08-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I have sympathy for the guy.

It's one thing to break the law and pay the price for the unlawful action, but it's quite another thing for a private contractor with no involvement in your case to destroy your property in error.

I understand the majority of beyond would like to bring in the death penalty for drinking and driving, but we should try to think rationally about these things.

Plus, from what I got from the video, he's a middle aged construction worker that maybe had one too many one night, not a 16 year old girl that passes out after 2 beer.

I bet he has been around road chemicals far more damaging on the brain and driven home in a far less state of alertness.
I'm not defending the action, I think drinking in driving is a selfish and cowardly and dangerous thing to do.

Kennyredline
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I think everyone that drinks and drives should have their car crushed.

Modelexis
08-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
I think everyone that drinks and drives should have their car crushed.

I think everyone that drinks and drives should have to spend 3 hours a day for 3 months with someone who has been a victim of drinking and driving.
Not by force, but it would be set up by the private insurance companies as a voluntary option, and if you chose to not agree to the punishment you would see a 70% higher insurance rate than the rest of the drivers.

I guess we have our own views on a perfect world.

But the difference is, you advocate lose/lose property destruction as a short term solution and I advocate a long term win/win practical solution.

spikerS
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I am surprised that ICBC is involved in this as well. unless he had 2 way coverage, or maybe they are able to claim it under a vandalism clause? No idea how insurance works in BC, I just know it works a lot different in AB.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2011, 10:48 PM
so he blew a yellow?
as far as i know, if your car is written off you can get 50% of all repairs back within 1-2 years

J-hop
08-23-2011, 10:49 PM
It's nice to know that every once in a while douche bags get what is coming to them, even if it is just by mistake.

Modelexis
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
so he blew a yellow?

Correct, he got a warn. 0.05% to 0.07999999999999% if I remember right.
Which is why he had his car impounded and the police called him a cab.

If he blew over the criminal legal limit (.08%) he would have been taken to jail.

SlickA70
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Fucking drunk driver, good thing he got his shit crushed :facepalm: .

71car2
08-26-2011, 06:30 AM
What? That guy wants $6000 for his car? Come on, the Tercel ain't a Porsche for pete's sakes and being it a '92 model ... forget it! The guy deserve it for being an idiot to drink and drive.

The ICBC was being nice ... far too generous to offer $1300 to him. :rofl:

dirtsniffer
08-28-2011, 03:25 PM
you guys are stunned, he wasnt drunk, he blew a warning and probably received a 24 driving ban. if they crushed my shit i would be making them pay for a rental till i found the right car to purchase or they forked over the casht ot cover atleast half the repairs. in alberta he probably wouldnt have received any penalty, but he deserved to have his car crushed:facepalm:

J-hop
08-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
you guys are stunned, he wasnt drunk, he blew a warning and probably received a 24 driving ban. if they crushed my shit i would be making them pay for a rental till i found the right car to purchase or they forked over the casht ot cover atleast half the repairs. in alberta he probably wouldnt have received any penalty, but he deserved to have his car crushed:facepalm:

Albertas drunk driving laws are pretty lax. If you are stupid enough to blow a warning like that you deserve whatever comes your way.

Notice the fact that his car was towed.... Doesn't that suggest to you that he was deemed unfit to drive??? Just because the law allowed him to sneak through without losing his license doesn't make it right does it??

dirtsniffer
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
haa sneak through, if he had a friend there they could have driven it. does the fact his car was crushed for no reason not bother you? he was never given an official test, just a road side one if he blew a warning, he wasn't even charged. why not just make it illegal for pubs to have parking lots if everyone thinks having a beer then driving is bad enough to have your car crushed. I'm done with this thread:banghead:

95EagleAWD
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Sounds like nobody here has ever had a couple beers and driven home... Jesus...

rb_tuner
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Sounds like nobody here has ever had a couple beers and driven home... Jesus...

Most in this thread would be passed out in their vomit after a few beers.