PDA

View Full Version : Help me set amp for best bass

RNB11
08-24-2011, 03:18 AM
I have an alpine type s 12 inch sub sealed an 800 watt premier pioneer amp, I am trying to set the gain and lpf right but having troubles haha. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, please move if not.

I'm just looking on a ball park on where to set the gain and lpf for clear and hard pounding bass.

03ozwhip
08-24-2011, 08:16 AM
its all trial and error. turn it all the way up if you want sloppy, drown your music out bass. for best results so somewhere arond the halfway mark. again, its trial and error, keep playing with it until youre happy.

spikerS
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
its all trial and error. turn it all the way up if you want sloppy, drown your music out bass. for best results so somewhere arond the halfway mark. again, its trial and error, keep playing with it until youre happy.

QFT

each car will have different settings due to size of cabin, placement of subs ect, as well as what type of music you will be listening to.

What I do, is dial everything to zero, and start bringing up the dials one at a time at a normal listening volume. That way I don't have the bass overpowering the music, and the bass is a proper filler and beat to compliment the music.

another thing to remember, is that bass waves take time to form, and penetrate most things easily. a good tip is to have them upward or forward firing, so that the bass waves have time to form in the cabin so you can hear and feel them. most people don't realize this, and thus have to compensate with a ton of gain and/or volume. you should be able to have great bass without rattling the crap out of the car next to you at a set of stop lights.

TE4MFaint
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Set your LPF between the 80-100 mark, you'll hear where it sounds best.

Start with your gain all the way down, slowly dial it up until you hear one of the following:

1) distortion
2) clipping

when either of these happen, just dial the gain back a little off that point.

leave your bass boost off, all that does is add distortion.

J-hop
08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by spikers

another thing to remember, is that bass waves take time to form, and penetrate most things easily. a good tip is to have them upward or forward firing, so that the bass waves have time to form in the cabin so you can hear and feel them. most people don't realize this, and thus have to compensate with a ton of gain and/or volume. you should be able to have great bass without rattling the crap out of the car next to you at a set of stop lights.

This is very interesting to me. Is it fact that in a small space like a car that a human can actually notice the difference in velocity between say a 60 hz wave and a 200hz wave???

Bass waves don't take time to build they rather propagate at different velocities then treble waves due to the dispersion relation. I don't understand a heck of a lot about the theories but I suspect the effects you are referring to would be negligible in such a small space.

Op also consider your enclosure size and type will drastically effect your tuning frequency. No use tuning your amp for 30 hz if you're running a small sealed enclosure