PDA

View Full Version : Opma 317

gt2871r
08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
How difficult is OPMA 317? Are both lectures and tutorials basically mandatory if you are gunning for an A?

The reason I ask is because I am going into my second year of business at the U of C and have a tough upcoming semester.

I go from 11AM to 9:20PM with only 1 break on Tuesday/Thursday. If I could skip the OPMA lecture on Thursday it would be nice to be able to leave early. Or, if I can skip the tutorial on Wed, I would have no classes at all on Wednesday (I have no classes on Monday either). As much as skipping is "bad", the BSEN 291 lectures for example were far from useful.

I also have ACCT 317, MKTG 317, GLGY 209, and ANTH 203, so I'm a little worried about difficulty as well. I was debating dropping OPMA 317 and only sticking with four courses this semester because of the ACCT317 + MKTG317 combo. I'd really like to do 5 though, because I won't be working at all and would like to maintain my eligibility for commerce Dean's List.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

GT4rally
08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
OPMA 317 is not that hard, but the group project could put a wrench in your plans for an "A" if you don't have a good group. Exams are pretty straight forward, but make sure you get Janice if you can. I think I got a "B" and I missed quite a few classes.

Most of your time and frustration will be spent on MKTG... have fun with that!

euphoria
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
As said above, the class ain't too hard, its pretty straight forward. I'm sure most people will agree OPMA is the easiest 317 course out of the bunch. Most of the group assignments are pretty easy, you could do two out of three of them alone within a day easily and still get a 90%+. Brent Snider is also a good prof. If I remember correctly you rarely need to go to tutorials, unless that has changed. There are a few mandatory ones which include the midterm and a simulation, but the rest are just to get help on the group assignments.

Also just so you know, as a second year student your restricted to being only able to take two Core 317 courses (excluding ACCT 317) til you complete 20/40 courses. In other words if you take MKTG and OPMA, you won't be able to take any other 317 courses in the Winter semester. (Unless your really ahead and managed to become a third year student by Winter.)

GT4rally
08-26-2011, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by euphoria
I'm sure most people will agree OPMA is the easiest 317 course out of the bunch.

Second easiest... HROD 317 could be done well by a def mute.

gt2871r
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Originally posted by euphoria
As said above, the class ain't too hard, its pretty straight forward. I'm sure most people will agree OPMA is the easiest 317 course out of the bunch. Most of the group assignments are pretty easy, you could do two out of three of them alone within a day easily and still get a 90%+. Brent Snider is also a good prof. If I remember correctly you rarely need to go to tutorials, unless that has changed. There are a few mandatory ones which include the midterm and a simulation, but the rest are just to get help on the group assignments.

Also just so you know, as a second year student your restricted to being only able to take two Core 317 courses (excluding ACCT 317) til you complete 20/40 courses. In other words if you take MKTG and OPMA, you won't be able to take any other 317 courses in the Winter semester. (Unless your really ahead and managed to become a third year student by Winter.)

Yeah I waited way too long to make my schedule. I've managed to follow the recommended program sequence for direct entry students thus far, except that all of the COMS classes are full.

It sucks because there was an open spot in HROD that fits my schedule perfectly, but I can't get in. I wonder if they would make an exception?

Wkk
08-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Things might be changing this year in regards to the 'easiness' of OPMA, I'm pretty sure they are introducing a new course curriculum. Also Brent Snider is going to be on sabbatical for the Fall so he won't be available/

I'd suggest going to the first few classes to see whats up first, then you can decide afterwards if the rest of the OPMA lectures are necessary.

Btw which time slot for HROD are you looking at for the Winter semester?

gt2871r
09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Wkk
Things might be changing this year in regards to the 'easiness' of OPMA, I'm pretty sure they are introducing a new course curriculum. Also Brent Snider is going to be on sabbatical for the Fall so he won't be available/

I'd suggest going to the first few classes to see whats up first, then you can decide afterwards if the rest of the OPMA lectures are necessary.

Btw which time slot for HROD are you looking at for the Winter semester?

Yeah I think I'll do that. If my scheduele seems overwhemling I guess I could always drop a course without penalty if I do so early enough.

I'm not going to bother trying to take four 317 courses anymore this year. Just picked up MGST 391 in the Winter.

Cheers guys

jmintz
09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
OPMA 317 is pretty easy if you're competent with computers in the slightest. Second easiest 317 I've taken, next to HROD. Assignments are give-away marks. Just study and do well on the midterm and final and you should walkout with an A-.

Nakadah
09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Would you guys recommend taking OPMA 317 in a spring semester? From what I saw it seems to be an easy course and Brent Snider has been teaching it in spring and he has good reviews. I was thinking to pair it with either ECON 321 - The Global Trading System or ECON 341 - Money and Banking depending on the professor.

What do you guys think?

heinz256
09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
If you're going to take econ341, be sure to take it with Tracy, easy A.

gstar
09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I would hardly call that a hard schedule.

OPMA 317 is a joke. Just have a good group. I didn't go to classes all semester and still pulled a B+ in that class. (dropped from A- after the final).

ACCT 317 is a pure joke. I wish someone had told me that all you needed to do was keep on repeating the same questions they assign in the class for the textbook and read the chapters. I did neither and still pulled a B grade.

I'm in MKTG 317 this semester and yeah I've heard that it's rough and I expect it to be.

GEOG 209 is rocks for jocks and ANTH 203 is not bad either.

You have a GPA booster semester ahead of you which is easily do-able with (if you want like B grades) with average work ethic. If you study day in and day out....easy 4.0 semester.

I am going into 4th year and my semester is a nightmare of epic proportions:

- ACCT 341 - Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCT 421 - Taxation
- MKTG 317 - Marketing
- MGST 493/495
- GEOG 381

Now that is a hard ******* semster. I'm ready to get f*****....but hopefully I'll have a job by the time recruiting is over so the grades in these courses will hardly matter.

Good Luck!

gt2871r
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by gstar
I would hardly call that a hard schedule.

OPMA 317 is a joke. Just have a good group. I didn't go to classes all semester and still pulled a B+ in that class. (dropped from A- after the final).

ACCT 317 is a pure joke. I wish someone had told me that all you needed to do was keep on repeating the same questions they assign in the class for the textbook and read the chapters. I did neither and still pulled a B grade.

I'm in MKTG 317 this semester and yeah I've heard that it's rough and I expect it to be.

GEOG 209 is rocks for jocks and ANTH 203 is not bad either.

You have a GPA booster semester ahead of you which is easily do-able with (if you want like B grades) with average work ethic. If you study day in and day out....easy 4.0 semester.

I am going into 4th year and my semester is a nightmare of epic proportions:

- ACCT 341 - Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCT 421 - Taxation
- MKTG 317 - Marketing
- MGST 493/495
- GEOG 381

Now that is a hard ******* semster. I'm ready to get f*****....but hopefully I'll have a job by the time recruiting is over so the grades in these courses will hardly matter.

Good Luck!

No offense at all, but I had to chuckle at what you said about ACCT 317. You wish you had someone tell you that all you needed to do was repeat the practice questions they give you and read the chapters? Isn't that what you do to prepare for exams in pretty much every class?

I study a lot, and have school 3 days a week. Maybe this semester will be a breeze in the end. My second semester is easier than than the first too, so hopefully I'll have lots of den time after all!

Just curious, have you been able to find summer employment in accounting? If so, what resources have you used to aid you? I was looking at listings on the career centre, and it appears that most firms are looking for people entering their third year. I'm hoping there are some options available for second year students as well.

Good luck to you as well.