PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting vs hybrid

scboss
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
How do you guys train and why? Currently im doing a olympic lifting program and loving it. Losing a bit of size tho.

scboss
08-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Im curious to why alot of you guys train. It seem alot of my clients either train for looks or health.

I try to train all aspects to give me great core strength and endurance

Darkane
08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
When I started training I trained to be strong.

Now I hybrid. I add the strength portion base, followed by hypertrophy.

Olympic lifts are added in succession.

I basically follow Thibaudeau's Work T-Nation.

wintonyk
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Like Darkane i started with strength and size. I used to weigh 135. I managed to get up to 190. But i wasn't comfortable there nor did i find it highly functional for myself.

I work in the health industry so part of my reasons for working out is to maintain my health. But i also work in another job where I must maintain my body. Although it does have to be slim and ripped.

I have taken the summer away from the gym (only going 1x week) and just hiking (1-2x 6 hours/week), hockey (2-3x), and running (2x 10k)

A790
08-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm trying my first-ever specialization routine. Of course, hitting the arms.

Running 3 x 8 in all my core lifts to maintain what I built there, then higher rep schemes for accessories (3 x 10 or 4 x 6).

Promising so far.

KRyn
08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I gave up training for size, my genetics just don't allow me to get jacked. I don't mind putting all the curl/bench guys that look strong to shame with my 12" guns.

cet
08-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I was training for both size and strength as well, but not at the same time. I would do a stength routine for a while then a hypertorphy routine.

Starting next week i'm going to try Layne Norton's Power/Hypertrophy routine to see if I like it and the results.

scboss
08-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I gave up training for size, my genetics just don't allow me to get jacked. I don't mind putting all the curl/bench guys that look strong to shame with my 12" guns.

Same I was at 220 for a while but I started to feel nasty as shit. (I'm 6'2)
I try to hit a bit of everything each workout making it a hybrid.
For example
Core (warmup)
2 power exercises
1 hypertrophy finisher
1 accessory lift
timed met con
I find by doing this I'm making gains in all aspects plus it is improving my conditioning big time when it comes to sparring and sports.
Since switching I am now between 195-200

Darkane
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Hmm.. Lets dig into this a bit deeper.

Besides the obvious: How much do you eat? What do you eat? WHEN do you eat it?

Lets dig deeper, Have you had any blood panels done? Even a basic yearly?

Lots of info can be learned.

Don't give up hope yet if you feel your genetic calling card isn't size

Darkane
08-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Anybody here Familiar with the Prowler?

Use it? I'm going to be adding it into my routine as soon as I can get some damned Olympic plates for it!

I'll even take rusty ones, I don't care. Paying 1$/lb is so expensive new lol.

KRyn
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Yah last year I organized a beyond prowler push and sled drag day. It was torture! It was so brutal no one ever showed up again. If you want to buy a sled Darkane let me know, the price will be right. Also it was made by a fellow Beyonder!

digi355
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Anybody here Familiar with the Prowler?

Use it? I'm going to be adding it into my routine as soon as I can get some damned Olympic plates for it!

I'll even take rusty ones, I don't care. Paying 1$/lb is so expensive new lol.

I run mine regularly. I love / hate it. What do you want to know about it?

digi355
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Yah last year I organized a beyond prowler push and sled drag day. It was torture! It was so brutal no one ever showed up again. If you want to buy a sled Darkane let me know, the price will be right. Also it was made by a fellow Beyonder!

haha - yeah sorry I was at the first meet then I moved closer to the bike path and never had the motivation to drive anywhere further than that..

The guy that made his own was OzWhip or something like that, he's a regular on here.

davidI
08-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Hybrid I guess. I change up my routines to keep me interested. Lately I've been doing a routine from T-Nation - I'll have to find it sometime (site blocked at work).

Basically, I got up to 175-180 which is a comfortable weight for me (I'm 5'9") and am now training for a combination of power and looks haha. I do cardio for health. I'd love to cut out all of my partying and shitty eating and become a RIPPED (~5-7% BF) 175, but honestly, I've been having way too much fun traveling, drinking, and eating nice meals on the company expense account.

Darkane
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I have an econo prowler clone.

Just curious if you guys are using it as PART of the routine.

Attaching a pair of Blast straps, or TRX handles and using the prowler as Eccentricless movements.

Also using it as replacement Leg days:

Crouched Backward pull (quads)
Forward drag or push (Hams/all leg)
Pull throughs for reps/distance.

I'm going to use the sled a lot for conditioning as well (on it's own day).

But two a day workouts, one being sled based Should help a lot with recovery.

You guys been reading a lot of Christian Thibaudeas work lately? Very good stuff, people are blowing up following his protocols.

scboss
08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
yeah im gonna grab a prowler soon. LMK if you guys do a beyond meet id be down. Now 1 question: How easy is it to transport these?

Darkane
08-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
yeah im gonna grab a prowler soon. LMK if you guys do a beyond meet id be down. Now 1 question: How easy is it to transport these?

Depends if you have or know someone with a pickup truck ;)

The bottom Ski's might scratch the box too, the shittier the truck the better.

Also needs to be able to carry lots of plates.

max_boost
08-29-2011, 11:20 PM
I've taken a break from all lifting. My new obsession is trying to learn how to swim. I've also lost about 15lbs since early July. I just feel much more comfortable at 150. I'm a short guy 5'5 so the extra weight is definitely noticeable lol

The prowler is awesome and totally kicks your ass. I have an econo prowler which weighs around 40lbs and I can remove the top handles. The real prowler that elite fts sells weighs 50kgs I think :eek: The econo version fits in to my GTI but have to be careful, it does scratch things up.

I started working out two years ago on advice from my buddy. I did it for strength gains and along with it came size. My goal was never to be super strong or super jacked, it was just to improve on where I was before and I met those goals.

max_boost
08-29-2011, 11:21 PM

Anyway, check out Tim Ferriss, he gained 34lbs in a month. Can you imagine how much food he ate? haha

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/front-2-wince.JPG http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/front-2b-wince.JPG

scboss
08-29-2011, 11:23 PM
natural i think not.

EDIT
Actually it could be, i didnt notice but the second pic is closer and way darker. Mix that with a bit of photo shop it may be possible. But there is no way he put on that much weight without some EXTRA help...... in one month anyways

stevieo
09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
I started working out this year in march or so just to lose weight, but as time went on I want to get stronger and stronger. I'm training strength at the moment but I wouldn't mind doing a bit of a hybrid later on once I hit certain goals etc.

its nice to be able to lift a lot (while doing the right form that is :)) for a smaller guy etc. I'm about 5'7 maybeee 5'8, beginning of my work out I was hovering in the 190s my max weight was 197lbs or so, and thats huge for a guy my size. i was so damn fat haha. could barely lift any weights. squatted 95lbs and my legs were on fire. I benched 95lbs which was pretty embarrassing..fast forward to today, I've lost a lot of weight. my weight hovers around 170-174lbs, i bench 180lbs, squat 200lbs, deadlift 250, military press 115lbs, i feel hella better about myself too. i'd like to be able to press more weight but that comes with time. gotta control my diet more to get these layers of fat off me still haha.

I am looking for a prowler/sled to help improve my cardio work though you guys are selling?? :clap:

keep lifting everyone!

KRyn
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
I am looking for a prowler/sled to help improve my cardio work though you guys are selling??

I have a prowler for sale, send me a PM if you are interested in pictures/buying it. The price will be good as another Beyond member made it for me and gave me a great price on it.

scboss
09-17-2011, 12:14 AM
What are some of the things you guys are working on now? I'm trying to work up to a one arm pushup with feet together and increasing my vert

joseph
09-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Right now I'm doing a schedule I made up to see how it works out.

Monday - Core/Power
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Strength
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Core/Power
Saturday - Screw around doing something active outside of the gym/track
Sunday - Couch potato

Going to try this for 4 weeks, go hard take a week off then switch my focus from power to strength for a month and do it again. I'm not trying to get big but I do notice I'm losing size. I'm 6'1 around 185-190 right now benching just under 250. Need a good strength base to build more power so thats my logic behind switching back in a month.

joseph
09-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Part of the reason am losing size though is I haven't been eating properly the last week or two. Gonna step that up seriously next week.:guns:

scboss
09-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by joseph
Right now I'm doing a schedule I made up to see how it works out.

Monday - Core/Power
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Strength
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Core/Power
Saturday - Screw around doing something active outside of the gym/track
Sunday - Couch potato

Going to try this for 4 weeks, go hard take a week off then switch my focus from power to strength for a month and do it again. I'm not trying to get big but I do notice I'm losing size. I'm 6'1 around 185-190 right now benching just under 250. Need a good strength base to build more power so thats my logic behind switching back in a month.

Doing a strength phase will not really build more power. You should start doing clean/jerk and snatch. Power IMO is alot more technique then anything.
BTW screw what your benching, What are your deadlifts and squats at right now?

joseph
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I was already doing clean/jerk and snatch. Doing more upper body right now unfortunately as I messed up my hamstring sprinting (overtrained). My squats and deadlifts right now are low weight for rehab until am capable of pushing out of starting blocks again. So no I'm not the big chested guy in the gym with the chicken legs you're probably thinking of:thumbsup:

scboss
09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I was already doing clean/jerk and snatch. Doing more upper body right now unfortunately as I messed up my hamstring sprinting (overtrained). My squats and deadlifts right now are low weight for rehab until am capable of pushing out of starting blocks again. So no I'm not the big chested guy in the gym with the chicken legs you're probably thinking of:thumbsup:

I was just curious. Its funny when people come up to me at work and brag about bench. Its like saying you slept with 10 chicks but they all had std's.

On a side note do glute ham raises to strengthen and rehab your hamstring

joseph
09-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely try that out this week.

scboss
10-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Tried this today

10x10 Pullups + 5x5 DB Row(85) + Battle Ropes = Filthy Good

This 10x10 shit is brutal but feels so so good after!

scboss
10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely try that out this week.

How did you like it? Hamstring problems are huge in alot of people.

When weight training it should be a ratio of 2:1 (hamstring:quad)