PDA

View Full Version : Where to start in IT

citydude22
08-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I would like to get eventually break into IT, but I just have no experience or anything. What would be a good start to break into IT?

Vagabond142
08-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Look into what kind of field you're interested in (deskside support, vendor support, etc) and look at what, if any, certifications are suggested for that field. I'm not saying you MUST have certifications, but they do give you a good overlook as to what you'll need to know for the field.

Some certs are worth it, because they do carry industrywide recognition, things such as the CCNA, CompTIA A+, MSCE <product here>, etc.

citydude22
08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm interested in fields like software development or networking, but I've got an open mind. How do you start if you have no skills or experience?

adam c
08-26-2011, 06:58 PM
those are 2 completely different fields, software development isn't IT

MyMan23
08-26-2011, 07:09 PM
You could try the free version of Visual Studio, gcc, objective C, python or some sort of development on your own. You could also try installing Linux and experimenting with that.

Do the kids get any programming courses anymore, even VBA for Excel or setting up thier own webpage in HTML? I remember back in the eighties, grade nine, everyone had to do some programming on the old Commadore PET (yeah I'm not kidding) with the basic interpreter.

God I'm a dinosaur.

citydude22
08-26-2011, 07:24 PM
So I could get experience doing my own development, should I try going for education along with any certs?

Recca168
08-26-2011, 09:13 PM
You should get a bit of experience on your on to find out if you like softwre development. If you do enjoy it then pursue and education in the field

Grogador
08-26-2011, 10:59 PM
There's many different ways to "get into" IT and I think your best choice will depend on your age and skills. If you're still kinda young or took computers/programming in Jr High or High School, you could teach yourself web development stuff, dive straight into a programming language with a textbook, or boot into Linux and figure things out. I don't really see the point of this approach: nobody will hire you based on a Geocities-lookin' website, a handful of "Hello, world!" proggies or cuz you managed to compile your own kernel.

I think your best bet is to get a job that will let you touch a computer. You can get helpdesk or software testing jobs with no experience, just make sure you get the fuck out of there within 1-2yrs or you risk becoming a lifer. Ask questions, poke at things you shouldn't be touching, take on crazy projects... it will help you figure out what you enjoy and what you're good at.

CompTIA certs are very general and should be combined with demonstrated skill and work experience to be worth much on a resume. Vendor certs are great but can limit your industry/employer choices, but they'll also give you a good base to learn other vendors' gear. Just be sure to pick vendors who aren't stingy with the parties and expenses :)

Originally posted by MyMan23
Do the kids get any programming courses anymore,

No, nowadays they take "How to Gleek" and "Reality TV Douchebaggery". Back in my day, (the 90s, gramps!) being the computer lab assistant in Jr High and taking every Programming credit (C/C++) available was the best/dorkiest thing I ever did ;)

citydude22
08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Is work experience usually more important to employers than education?

snoop101
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by citydude22
Is work experience usually more important to employers than education?

This really depends.

Having one year work experience, but no extensive knowledge before that wont be enough.

There is really two different types of IT people. People who have worked with computer since 386 days or before and have a passion for it and people who are young and took computers in school.

My first computer was a vic 20 that I programmed on.. lol.. and been working with computers since. When I go for an interview they look at my experience and ignore my lack of class room education. On the flip side people who have no experience going into a interview will have their class room education looked at.

In a nut shell you need one of the two.

On a side note your starting at good time. 2-3 years ago I would say dont even try cause people were fighting over jobs, but things are changing this year and its hard to get god people. Making the lower end jobs open to new people.

I forgot to mention, use your past experience as an asset. If you have education in oil&gas you can use that when looking for a IT job at a similar company.