PDA

View Full Version : Mum the bear is eating me!!

C_Dave45
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
I don't know...this sounds an awful lot like a good Snopes urban legend...but I can't seem to find anything solid on it. Nothing but internet news clippings and every one of them has the exact same wording. Even a "RIP" facebook page and an obituary. What do you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/olga-moskalyova_n_930464.html

A Russian mother listened helplessly on a cellphone to her teenage daughter crying for help earlier this week as she was eaten alive by bears.

The horrified mother of Olga Moskalyova, a 19-year-old psychologist in training, heard her daughter's desperate pleas for help after receiving a call from her daughter on a mobile phone.

Tatiana Tsyganenkov listened in horror to the screams as her daughter was attacked by a brown bear and its three cubs Wednesday near Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in eastern Siberia.

According to The Daily Mail, Moskalyova screamed, "Mum, the bear is eating me! Mum, it's such agony. Mum, help!"

Tsyganenkov said she initially thought her daughter was joking but quickly realized there was a desperate struggle going on and that her daughter was fighting for her life.

"I heard the real horror and pain in Olga's voice and the sounds of a bear growling and chewing. I could have died then and there from shock," Tsyganenkov said, according to NineMSN.

Moskalyova and her stepfather, Igor Tsyganenkov, were camping near a river in Russia when the mother bear attacked him. It reportedly broke his neck and smashed his skull. Having witnessed the attack, Moskalyova attempted to flee but was able to run only about 70 yards before the powerful brown bear grabbed her leg and forced her to the ground.

During the struggle, the girl's calls to her mother were cut off at least three times. The girl somehow managed to call her mother back each time. A helpless Tsyganenkov could only listen in horror to her daughter's screams for mercy.

In a second call to her mother, Moskalyova said, "Mum, the bears are back. She came back and brought her three babies. They're... eating me," The Daily Mail reported.

When the call was disconnected, a panic-stricken Tatiana Tsyganenkov contacted police in the nearby village of Termalniy and begged them to rush to the river where the attack was taking place.

Moskalyova spoke with her mother one last time roughly an hour after she made the first call.

"Mum, it's not hurting anymore. I don't feel the pain. Forgive me for everything. I love you so much," she said.

When authorities later arrived on the scene, they found Igor Tsyganenkov's body. The mother bear was still devouring his remains when they came upon the scene, Dubai Media reported. Moskalyova's badly mauled body was found not far away. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Half a dozen hunters were later dispatched to kill the mother bear and her three cubs. Authorities have not yet commented on whether the hunt succeeded.

"My daughter was such fun. She was so cheerful, friendly, and warm," Tatiana Tsyganenkov said, her words spoken in a voice diminished by grief. "She had graduated from music school, and just days before the bear attack she got her driving license."

rb_tuner
08-27-2011, 07:06 PM
:rofl:

5fivespeed
08-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by rb_tuner
:rofl:

I think you should rethink that post.

Ray

5fivespeed
08-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed

I think you should rethink that post. RIP.

Ray

beyond_ban
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
When i first read it i thought it was a hoax too, but i couldn't find anything to discredit it so i am unsure as well... If it is a true story that is really, really tragic.

calgarydub
08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
It is pretty sad, and heart breaking, but what do you expect? Humans encroach on the bears natural habitat, they don't know any better, they see a free meal. I am not sure if I read in a different article that this wasn't the first bear encounter/attack.

Who do you blame in this case, the bears or the humans?

Squishy
08-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't say there is "blame" to human or bear.

Human in bear habitat, human is aware of surroundings and what could potentially happen... Bear doesn't know any better. It's life, tragic yes, but that's what happens sometimes and the reality of it is there's no "fault" here because it's nature.

taemo
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I read about this a while back, damn disturbing/tragic phone call to get as a parent.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/265455/Bear-s-eating-me-girl-told

ps: apparently this was her facebook account
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001752496891

oupzwrongthread
08-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by calgarydub
It is pretty sad, and heart breaking, but what do you expect? Humans encroach on the bears natural habitat, they don't know any better, they see a free meal. I am not sure if I read in a different article that this wasn't the first bear encounter/attack.

Who do you blame in this case, the bears or the humans?
:thumbsup:

LollerBrader
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed

I think you should rethink that post.

Ray

Agreed. It's disgusting to see people experiencing amusement at the misery of others.

Particularly smug, privileged beyonders sitting in their purty little cars.

rb_tuner
08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
Particularly smug, privileged beyonders sitting in their purty little cars.

You got me.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2011, 11:07 AM
By far the worst part of this story, IMO, is that they killed the bear afterwards. Obviously the death of that teenager was a tragedy, but it was also 100% avoidable (or a known risk), and the bear was just being a bear.

calgary403
08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
By far the worst part of this story, IMO, is that they killed the bear afterwards. Obviously the death of that teenager was a tragedy, but it was also 100% avoidable (or a known risk), and the bear was just being a bear.

:facepalm:

The girl and her father being killed and eaten alive was by far the worst part of the story.

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by calgary403

:facepalm:

The girl and her father being killed and eaten alive was by far the worst part of the story.

Agreed, a tragedy, but a completely avoidable one. The bear did not deserve to die for doing what came naturally to a wild animal. I also noticed they killed the cubs too. Anytime you venture into bear country you are taking a known risk.

For example, I enjoy mountain biking & hiking, often in bear country. I'm aware of the risks, and if I were ever killed by a bear, it would be my fault as it was 100% avoidable by not going into bear country. I would personally not want the bears killed if I was killed by a bear. Don't want to get eaten by a bear? Don't go into bear country, or if you do, travel in a larger group or something like that. Simple.

Please don't think I am happy those people died or anything, or that they deserved it - that's not what I mean. All I'm saying is that when you enter bear country you are accepting the risks associated with it. When a bear attacks a human because we're invading their territory, and then kill the bear BECAUSE we invaded it's territory and it reacted naturally, that seems backwards to me.

C_Dave45
08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
and the bear was just being a bear.
And the human was just being a human. Whats more important...a human life or an animals life? Obviously we don't know that particular area (Russia). Maybe it was just outside city limits, maybe it was 100 miles into the bush. (apparently cel coverage, so couldn't be very remote). If someone was attacked by a grizzly in fish creek, that is a problem bear and should be destroyed/removed. If a hiker was attacked deep within the Kananaskis area, probably nothing would be done. So it all depends on where an attack occurs. No one is to blame...it's just a tragic accident. Anything can be avoided. We could choose never to venture into the forests at all and make it illegal to enjoy our national parks, but we decide to take the risks. But if bears get too close to civilization...then it's time to take action.

Let's not forget, at one time, even downtown Calgary was "forest" and belonged to the animals. Humans inhabit the area and soon it is "our" area and not a place for wild animals. We ARE the top of the food chain.

1barA4
08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Agreed, a tragedy, but a completely avoidable one. The bear did not deserve to die for doing what came naturally to a wild animal. I also noticed they killed the cubs too. Anytime you venture into bear country you are taking a known risk.

For example, I enjoy mountain biking & hiking, often in bear country. I'm aware of the risks, and if I were ever killed by a bear, it would be my fault as it was 100% avoidable by not going into bear country. I would personally not want the bears killed if I was killed by a bear. Don't want to get eaten by a bear? Don't go into bear country, or if you do, travel in a larger group or something like that. Simple.

Please don't think I am happy those people died or anything, or that they deserved it - that's not what I mean. All I'm saying is that when you enter bear country you are accepting the risks associated with it. When a bear attacks a human because we're invading their territory, and then kill the bear BECAUSE we invaded it's territory and it reacted naturally, that seems backwards to me.

Agreed -- Bear was being a bear and her and her cubs get killed for it and that's the real tragedy, though that's not to say the humans didn't take precautions (because the article doesn't say one way or another).

in*10*se
08-29-2011, 02:18 PM
that would be an unbearable way to go....

rb_tuner
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
"Hi Mom, please bear with me as my leg is being gnawed off."

dirtsniffer
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
the bear was killed because it killed a human. I would assume once a bear attacks a human it would be more likely to do it again. thats why the cubs were killed too, because they would have learned humans are easy targets. better to be proactive in the situation.

how many people should a bear threaten or attack (or kill) before its killed?

Mitsu3000gt
08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
the bear was killed because it killed a human. I would assume once a bear attacks a human it would be more likely to do it again. thats why the cubs were killed too, because they would have learned humans are easy targets. better to be proactive in the situation.

how many people should a bear threaten or attack (or kill) before its killed?

Depends on where it happens, I guess.

If it happens in city limits or something, perhaps it's a problem bear. Even then, I think it should be tagged and relocated if it makes sense to do so. There is no need to destroy it if it could be flown a couple thousand miles into the wilderness and re-released there (assuming thats far enough). If they see that it's coming close again (GPS tags), simply relocate it again. Destroying the bear should be a last resort.

If it happens out in the wilderness somewhere to begin with, many miles from significant civilization, then I don't think anything needs to be done at all.

Very situation dependent, I suppose, and we don't have all the details. Nor do I know everything about how to relocate bears, haha. I just don't like hearing about them killed as a first reaction.

Jsen-DC2
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
would not of happend if they knew how to fight off a bear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etzvPYMUpeU

CHICHARITZHI
08-29-2011, 09:49 PM
KILLER BEAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MENKGCfQTc

01RedDX
08-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Maybelater
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
^LOL

Most wild animals know to stay away from humans, they have been conditioned this way from encounters with humans. So when one goes as far to kill a human not just out of defence, but for a meal then I think it is appropriate action to have the bear killed.

Kennyredline
08-30-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd want to eat her like an animal as well.....

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/Kennyredline/721448899ae3af13062ebd7e_1.jpg