PDA

View Full Version : Where/if to get 3M installed in Calgary?

BigYellowMonkey
08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I just bought a 2012 Elantra, and decided to decline all the extra "protection", not just because I'm sure it's absurdly overpriced, I think most of it was unnecessary.

Especially since the car is black, and this is Calgary, I'm thinking I should at least consider getting 3M installed on the front end. Any recommendations on where to get this done, and what I should expect to pay?

I don't really know what the different options are in terms of how much of the front end is covered, I think the dealer option was the front 36" of the hood or something like that.

Thanks in advance!

AllGoNoShow
08-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Refine Auto Salon, Thompson Graphics or Shadow Tint will do it for you. Not sure exact cost but except $400-1000+ depending on what options you go with, go check them out.

NewLextasy
08-28-2011, 07:31 PM
+1 for Refine.

BigYellowMonkey
08-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Perfect, thanks guys. That's super close to my office so that's even better.

INITIALD
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Check PM

turbotrip
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Partial-threadjack: Has anybody tried installing it themselves? and if so where can you buy just the film cheapest

nobb
08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
There's a few "imitation" brands on eBay, but they dont heatshrink as well as the brand name which is an important consideration if you have lots of curves.

Havent found any local sources that sell this stuff in bulk for cheap. Expect to pay ~$100 to get enough material to do the front end. Would be interested if anyone knows of a cheap local source that sells a decent quality material.

BigYellowMonkey
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I guess my other question is, is it worth it? I drive about 99% of my KM's in the city (Calgary), and I take Deerfoot in the morning from McKnight to Glenmore, but in a month I'm moving so Deerfoot should be eliminated from my commute.

I'm probably looking at owning the vehicle 5 years, and at this point I'm thinking more about the hood/front end condition for resale. That being said, I also don't want my car to look like shit with chips all over the front end. And I hate car bra's so that's not an option for me...

NewLextasy
08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Worth it 1000 times over again. My Gallardo has 75,000kms on it now and not one single scratch or rock chip.. I had the 3m put on it before I even drove it once... But I did 3m 75% of the car as well.

BigYellowMonkey
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I guess my question is, how does the cost compare to having the hood and/or front bumper repainted after 5 years? By a reputable shop I mean, I'm sure there are bargains to be had but I wouldn't skimp on a paint job.

NewLextasy
08-29-2011, 07:19 PM
So much can go wrong with repainting parts.. Color match, orange peel, over spray.. Etc ... If u 3m it is done and protected. Plus will probably cost less then half the price of getting hood, bumper and fenders painted... Main places u get rock chips.

Wakalimasu
08-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I got the 3m done at the dealership and I'm glad I did it. You can see where I should of gotten dents, and you can go a little rougher scrubbing the bug splats when you know its on the 3m.

I also got them to do my headlights and foglights. I had cracked foglights on my previous cars.

They also did a little in front of the rear tires where I guess if rocks get picked up from your front tire it will get flung out and curve back into your car.