PDA

View Full Version : Albertans like their cars blue – at least compared to other provinces

Markham
08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey guys

My 280Z is 1969 Camaro Dover white with a black racing stripe...still my all-time favourite colour scheme.

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/08/albertans-like-their-cars-blue-at-least-compared-to-other-provinces/

Anybody got a favourite colour for their ride?

Markham

A790
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Gotta be black, white, or red.

revelations
:facepalm: at OP

Oh well, at least hes trying.....

Kardon
Originally posted by revelations
:facepalm:

Sorath
08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
it used to be "must be white"

but for some reason i have 2 blue cars right now

Tik-Tok
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Any colour... so long as it's not black.

I swear my mr2 is the last black car I'll own, while living in the prairies. So tired of trying to keep it clean. It doesn't help that my alley is unpaved though. So even after I wash it, it gets covered in dust, just driving into my garage.

Sentry
08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

You still have that skyrine?

nismodrifter
08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
We just got a blue car as well. Weird.

Gibson
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,

My car is black but I wanted a blue one.

Gibson

beyond_ban
08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
In order of preference; white, red, charcoal and maybe black, but it depends on the car.

ekguy
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver teg and very VERY dark green legend.

Had mostly red cars and i don't like red.

leftwing
08-29-2011, 07:21 PM
My Cobra is black and my Blazer is black as well. Nothing beats a clean black ride. But the challenge is keeping them clean.

Euro_Trash
08-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

Me too - I like white cars better than any other color, both my of my current vehicles are blue

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I like red.

SKR
08-29-2011, 07:28 PM
My truck is black. I don't know if I'll have anything but black.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks so, but black is no harder to keep clean than any other color. If there was even a little bit of dust on my old silver truck, I knew it. If the paint isn't shiny, that means that it's dirty.

It's not like black paint attracts dust more than any other color. Dusty black looks shitty, and so does everything else.

bituerbo
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Fucking

By Beacon staff

According to a new poll by Ford Motor Company, Albertans like blue cars and if the tone is dark blue that could indicate they are more traditional.

What do car colour choices say about other Canadians? According to a new study by Leger Marketing and commissioned by Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited, Canadians are loyal to traditional colours.

· Albertans have the highest preference for blue cars in the country (16%), followed closely by Quebecers (15.4%).

· Drivers in Quebec are also most likely to choose an unconventional colour, one not listed in the top eight (12.8%).

· Residents of Atlantic Canada have a surprisingly high amount of gold-coloured cars (8.4%) and also have the country’s highest instances of red cars (18.4%).

· Ontarians have the greatest percentage of black cars in the country (17.1%) and are least likely to covet a blue one (12.9%).

· Though drivers in British Columbia have an above average love of green coloured cars (8.3%), residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan are the ‘greenest’ (9.9%). Residents of Manitoba and Saskatchewan also have the highest preference for white (14.2%).

When it comes to current cars, silver/grey (22.3%) is by far the most popular, with black (14.1%), blue (13.6%) then red (11.6%) well behind. Possibly due to our messy winter weather conditions, the colour white, often a top warm-climate pick, is a distant fifth choice (6.9%). Rounding out the choices are green (6.0%), gold (3.8%) and orange (0.4%). Eleven per cent of Canadians surveyed chose a colour other than those listed.

“People form an emotional connection with colour and there is something very personal to buyers about the hue of their cars,” says Susan Swek, Ford Motor Company’s chief designer, Colour and Materials. “Our internal research shows up to 40 per cent of car buyers say they would walk out of a dealership if they couldn’t buy a car in the colour they wanted.”

An informal survey of Calgarians shows no particular preference for blue cars – or any colour. Local residents say they bought cars for features or value and took the car the dealership happened to have on the lot.

Leanne Melathopolous says she chose silver “because I needed the car now – and it helps it stay looking clean.”

According to Laura Corcoran, she chose a white car because there wasn’t a blue, black or green one available. “Now I actually like white,” she says. “My next car can be white, pearl white blue or blackberry.”

Swek provides some specific attributes associated to the top five colour choices in Canada, and shares insight as to what that communicates about the car, and, by extension, the driver inside:

Silver – “Since silver and grey are technical colours, they communicate a sense of aspiration and at times, an embrace of futurism.”

Black – “Overall black communicates strength, aspiration and a respect for the classic and the elegant.”

Blue – “Darker blue is perceived as more traditional. However, a bright or light blue is the opposite and is seen as the least ‘classic’ of the other colour groups.”

Red – “A colour which screams sporty and energetic but in certain shades can also be associated with distinction.”

White – “White is clean and modern. Premium specialty whites (also known as ‘tri-coat whites’) are also associated with luxury and ‘premium-ness’.”

Comedian Derek Sweet was looking for one colour, but fell in love with another. ”I just bought a greenish car. Was fully planning to get black but I saw this specific green and I just liked it,” he said.

Though we tend to think of the younger generation as the risk-takers, the propensity to choose an unconventional colour (one outside of the top eight listed) actually increases with age (20% for 65+ versus 5% for 18-34).

Moreover, the likelihood of choosing red steadily increases while the likelihood of choosing black steadily decreases as the population gets older. Men are much more likely to choose black (20.4% versus 12.9%), while women are much more likely to choose red (13.8% versus 8.9%). Canadians making $80K+ per year (19%) are more likely to select black, when compared to those making less than $40K per year (11%). Single individuals are also more likely to choose black (27% versus 13% among those who are married).

“Colour is a simple way to allow people to add a personal touch to their lives,” explains Swek. “It’s something that speaks to them and expresses a little bit of their personality.” While overall Canadians play it safe, each region demonstrates specific preferences that stand out from the crowd.

According to a global Ford poll, silver is also the most popular vehicle colour around the globe. When looking at individual nations, Ford learned that nearly half of all vehicles sold in Turkey are white. French and Italian motorists like cream-coloured vehicles. Black is the colour of choice for most drivers in Norway, Portugal, Germany and Russia. Only one country in Europe has a top colour other than white, black or silver: The Czech Republic chooses blue.

Maybelater
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Conservative blue baby http://i.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/livestock~01-05-04-emotcowboy.gif

K3RMiTdot
08-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Mines white, but I'd get my cars in blue foo shooo

JordanAndrew
08-30-2011, 03:44 AM
I had 2 black and 2 white cars, but for some odd reason I also have a blue car at the moment. haha!

theken
08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Black,green,purple,orange.

BensonTT
08-30-2011, 10:57 AM
White = PIMP OG :)

All other colors = :thumbsdow ;)

Tomaz
08-30-2011, 11:11 AM
White w/ black trim all the way!

I never figured out why I pick white with black. I guess i like my cars looking like tuxedos, or pianos...

I must own a orange car in the future though.

taemo
08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I was set on a WRB WRX but them I saw it in DGM and was :love: at first sight

jonnycat
08-30-2011, 11:23 AM
WRB :love:

and Red truck

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
WRB here as well, but I am doing a Matte White wrap next summer on it.

freshprince1
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Colours of cars I've had...

Black
White
Red
Black
Black
Silver
White
Silver
Grey
Grey
White

I like classy colours....none of this fairy colourful shit.