PDA

View Full Version : How did you find your career/job/school interest?

300havoc
08-29-2011, 01:05 PM
So, I know I'm a little new here and don't post very often if at all, but I figured Id ask you guys a question that has been bugging me for a while.

This forum definitely has a different range of people when it comes to the careers/jobs and also a huge different range when it comes to general life experience. At this point, I'm still pretty young, only 22 and I'm doing Tech Support in a call center. The problem is that the only education I really have is an unfinished Diploma in Music Performance from Mt. Royal, which when finished would give me a diploma that doesn't really get me anywhere. I didn't finish it because I wanted to step back and evaluate my life a little to see if that's where I really wanted to take my life, and I just started working full time.

I've traveled a little bit around Europe to try and gain a little life experience and loved every minute of it. I've worked in a kitchen for 5 years but didn't like that environment, taught guitar for 2 years but that wasn't paying the bills, and now I'm in my current role and not really enjoying my days.

I'm thinking about going back to school but the issue is I'm not sure what I'd like to take. I've tossed around thoughts of a Teaching degree or a Business degree, or a trade of some sort but I can't find something that really sparks my interest.

I guess the long and short of it all is:

If you are in a career that you enjoy, or in school for something you enjoy, how did you find yourself in that field? What was it that set it apart from the rest of the options that you may have had, and how did you get there?

A790
08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I was broke. I needed money really bad. I made and sold a website for a few hundred dollars. Then a friend of mine told me that if the website I sold received traffic/sales that it'd be worth more, so I started doing that.

Then I realized that with enough traffic the revenue can be pretty substantial... so I made internet marketing my full time focus.

Then I had some life changes and now am in a hybrid role, where I do sales coaching/internet marketing. It's awesome.

rage2
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 300havoc
If you are in a career that you enjoy, or in school for something you enjoy, how did you find yourself in that field? What was it that set it apart from the rest of the options that you may have had, and how did you get there?
You'll never find one thing that you'll be happy with for the rest of your life, since you'll always be looking for new challenges. Find a job that you enjoy doing, and a company that allows you to grow and try new things.

I've been working at the same company for 13.5 years now. They've allowed me to try new things, grow my expertise, and handle new challenges. I've had around 12 different job titles over the years.

cet
08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
It took me forever to figure out what I wated to do. I started in University in science with the full intention of becoming an optometrist. After one semester figured that wasn't for me and decided on business. I went the economics route and stuck with it until I had finished 3rd year. I hated it so took a year off and worked.
I still had no idea what I wanted to do and whilst on a break one day, was reading the paper. In the papre there was a story about people writing their final exams and the accompanying picture was of a guy writing a final for one of the Civil Engineering Tech. classes at SAIT. I realized thats what I was supposed to be doing. I registered, graduated got a job and love it.

Type_S1
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I would step back and take a look at what skills you have to be honest.

Look at your personality...are you a people person/smooth talker, negotiator, good with the numbers, mechanically inclined, someone with great ideas etc etc etc.

Now what do you think you like doing? Working hands on and doing the hard work, working in an office environment, want to travel around working?

Look at what you are already really good at...I know this is hard for some people because they don't feel like they are good at anything but look at something you consider above average at and enjoy doing and play every angle trying to see if you can make money from it.

That's just one suggestion because I think there is a lot of ways to find a career for yourself, I chose my path in school based on my personal attributes and the $$ involved when I finished. I have recently decided that even though I am finishing my BCOMM and could have a great career ahead of me that I think I would rather enjoy Law and have been studying for my LSAT in October. The reason I'm saying this is because just because you choose one path in school doesn't mean it is where you will be the rest of your life, even 4 years from now. I would suggest going to school and starting down the path because you can change it however many times you want within your first two years (especially in a business degree) with minimal cost. If you don't like doing what your doing now you are too young not to make the change immediately.

masoncgy
08-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Long story short, you have to look at your interests and find work that will allow you to apply your knowledge & skills, based on those interests.

I've been in a few different career paths myself, but the last few years I have been working in various roles within the construction/renovation industry because it's what I enjoy doing. I'm a painter by trade, but I have spent countless hours renovating my own houses over the last several years and never seem to tire of it, even though sometimes I'm physically tired... lol.

I can't see myself working in any other industry at this point. It's what I know best. I love it. Just need to get into another section of the business where I can make more money! :)

Feruk
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Always liked the Maths so decided to go into engineering straight out of school. Finished the degree 4 years ago and work in the patch.

Don't be a teacher; too hard to keep a job in Alberta.

max_boost
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Autonomy. Mastery. Purpose.

That's the science of motivation. Whatever job it is, you have to constantly grow personally and professionally.

You never really know where you are going to end up. Some people go to school, get a degree in a certain field and end up doing something nowhere related.

max_boost
08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Be a teacher, just not an English one. Go learn French.

300havoc
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks all you guys so far, It's good to hear the different experiences, and definitely keep them coming.

A790 - Did you have any experience building websites before that? Or was it a one off thing that you had never done before? Did you have formal training or was it all personal experience?

Rage - I do realize that I wouldn't find that one golden thing that I'll be happy with for life. In those 13.5 years and 12 job titles, was it all related or were they completely random positions that had no relation to each other? Just out of curiosity really.

Type_S1 and Masoncgy I think were touching on the same thing, finding what I'm good at and running with it. Makes sense. Maybe I should find some books to read to help me pinpoint those skills figure out those skills. I've always been good at music, but the issue is I don't want to turn a hobby that i love into work that I don't enjoy. I found that when I went to school for music it turned it into something I didn't have fun with, so I didn't want to loose that enjoyment.

Be a teacher, just not an English one. Go learn French.

Funny you should say this, I speak enough French that I have survived in France after taking 11 years of French Immersion. Not saying I'm any good at it though haha.

I appreciate all the answers so far, Keep em coming :)

revelations
08-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Also consider that your ideal career might not exist for 5 years, I know mine wasnt around when I graduated high school.

What are you "wired" to do? Help people? Technical? Conceptual? Mathematical? Hands on or theory?

300havoc
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Also consider that your ideal career might not exist for 5 years, I know mine wasnt around when I graduated high school.

What are you "wired" to do? Help people? Technical? Conceptual? Mathematical? Hands on or theory?

The tough thing is figuring out what I'm really wired to do. I'd like to say that i'm pretty well rounded, but I'm sure that a lot of people say that when they don't really know. Maybe I'm better at building rapport with people then anything else for example, but there has to be a way to determine something like that through some test right? It wouldn't surprise me, but I find it difficult looking at myself to try and find what I really excel at.

revelations
08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
You can start with things you KNOW you cant or dont do well..

For eg.

- Sales?
- Law enforcement?
- sit in an office 8hrs/day (constant routine)
- high tech, eg. IT world?
- hate driving?

Once you get the list down, you can perhaps look at job shadowing.

bitteeinbit
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as you havoc and recently did a thread about it ("fear of careers"). I think my "fear" comes from not knowing 100% what I want to do. Most people are the same way but they try different things until it fits, and the really stubborn people stay with a job they hate for 20+years making them the most bitter and sad people you've ever seen. You're still young though so time is on your side.

revelations
08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Quitting school might have been the best thing, or the worst thing.

I was at a stage in my technical diploma program - ready to quit after 6 months (why am I doing this?) But I stuck it through and now I have a job thats, although not directly in the field, is a very good fit for me - because of the schooling I have.

Only time will tell OP - but dont do this more than once in your life (quit school) otherwise it becomes too easy to quit when you go through tough times at work and in the real world.

Sometime you have to push.

rage2
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 300havoc
Rage - I do realize that I wouldn't find that one golden thing that I'll be happy with for life. In those 13.5 years and 12 job titles, was it all related or were they completely random positions that had no relation to each other? Just out of curiosity really.
Hrm let see. It's been a long time. Here are some of the progressions I made along the way.

Tech Support --> Sales Engineer --> Professional Services --> Support Manager

Development --> IS Developer (ended here, I'm a hacker, not a coder)

IT Tech --> IT Manager --> IT/IS Director --> SaaS Director

So the only relation is that they're all tech related?

Darkane
08-29-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't know what I want to be, but what I do know is I want money!

So I did Power engineering and now make a killing.

I'll do this till I can establish myself (plan to be mortgage free with a 500k+ house by 33 years old, with no debt) and then later on my in late 30's Decide what to do that I WANT to do.

Maybe open up a coffee shop, a gym, a Parts store.

Anything I can go to when I want, have staff run it and it Interests me.

Then I could care less how much I make.

Owning a NAPA would be pretty sweet :)

wintonyk
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
The one common thing everyone has said is about growth and I couldn't agree more. I took my degree (in nutrition) and loved it the entire way through. I have been working as a private consultant for 2 1/2 years and have been ready to leave for the last 6 months. For me its that I am not growing at all anymore, I have peaked within my organization. So now i am studying for the GMAT.

I love the idea behind what I do but I want to do something bigger, and my company is far too small (maybe 50 people nationally). I am looking at getting into a management role with a large food company like frito-lay or saputo or better yet inbev.

Unfortunately as of right now, I am not where i see myself for a long time.

max_boost
08-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by revelations
You can start with things you KNOW you cant or dont do well..

haha I love this video

wNYHoI47fw0

300havoc, be open minded and don't fear the unknown. There are opportunities everywhere. Just keep at it. In your situation you are really going to have to get out there and find it. Just ask yourself, what's the worst that could happen? exactly, just go do it.

CompletelyNumb
08-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Well, I knew what I wanted to do was just travel. Maybe get my skydiving license. Enjoy life. So I chased the money so tat by the time I was 30 I wouldn't have to worry about it. Worked for me?

Oil Patch for Life :guns:

bitteeinbit
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Well, I knew what I wanted to do was just travel. Maybe get my skydiving license. Enjoy life. So I chased the money so tat by the time I was 30 I wouldn't have to worry about it. Worked for me?

Haha, kinda what I'm thinking about. Get in the oilpatch for a few years, invest all the money then move on.

max_boost
08-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

I had that attitude for most of my 20's. Just focus on work and chasing money. It's too bad I ended up blowing half of it away on shit I didn't need. :rofl: :facepalm: So if any advice, make the money but be responsible with it.

Disoblige
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

So if any advice, make the money but be responsible with it.
Best advice ever, so it should be at least in the back of the minds of people. Lots of people I know in their early 20s make decent coin but aren't wise with it at all.

I hope I am responsible because when you're young, it is difficult sometimes :angel:

CompletelyNumb
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
I blew every cent I made my first 5 years in the patch. Looking back, I wouldn't change it for the world :)

HiTempguy1
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
I think an important thing you also have to do is take everyone's advice with a big grain of salt.

I don't believe in "luck", but I do believe in randomness. Sometimes, randomness plays in your favour, sometimes it does not. I've been in the right place at the right time, and the wrong place at the wrong time.

Suffice it to say, there are a LOT of things outside of your control. Can you tip the odds in your favour? Absolutely. But for every engineer (example) that is making $150k a year, there are hundreds that haven't even crested $100k/year after a decade of work.

I went into a technology diploma with the goal of learning something interesting that suited my skillset. I also craved a steady work schedule Monday through Friday. I have it now, and only have to bust my balls a couple of days a month (but get a nice bonus of overtime when I do). So while my pay is low, next year I will get 27 days of vacation (5 weeks and 2 days considering I get weekends off), plus a week off paid at Christmas PLUS all stats off (and paid for). So while I only currently earn $50k per year, I can do whatever the hell I want, whenever I want.

Somedays, the job sucks, but that is why it is a job. Somebody would have to offer me over $80k per year to make me leave here, and that is simply because I want to be debt free. I could currently race cars to my little hearts content and have a mortgage on my current income if I had no other debt!

03ozwhip
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
im 31, i own a house, 2 cars, married and have a kid and i STILL dont know what i want to do.

im with the right company, like Rage i plan on moving around until i find something that fits me, the job im at now is exactly what OP does, ive been doing it for almost 4 years and make pretty good money.

i have no intention on leaving the company, just the position im in. i think thats what you need to do OP is find a company you know is going to take you somewhere.

you always have to start at the bottom(ish) regardless so its always going to suck in the beginning. i dont have much advice since im old and in the same boat, but the company is what you want to look at.

maybe its the company youre already with?

mastercool12
09-01-2011, 09:08 PM
[i]Somebody would have to offer me over $80k per year to make me leave here, and that is simply because I want to be debt free. I could currently race cars to my little hearts content and have a mortgage on my current income if I had no other debt! [/B]

You could make that much. Just go work in Fort Mac.

Instrument techs are making over 200k+ once you factor in all the overtime and retention pay/bonuses.

Sacrifice 5-10 years of your life making that cash and your set for life.

HiTempguy1
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by mastercool12

You could make that much. Just go work in Fort Mac.

Instrument techs are making over 200k+ once you factor in all the overtime and retention pay/bonuses.

Sacrifice 5-10 years of your life making that cash and your set for life.

I have worked/do work in Fort Mac... and no, not really they don't. If you are offering me said job, have an in at said job, or can point me in the direction of said job, by all means, show me the money/

I'm not saying you CAN'T earn money, but I am saying that most people won't. Out of school, Syncrude offered people $40/h to work there. That's $80k per year gross not including overtime. Could you earn more? I guess. But I've never saw anything remotely close to $200k, OT, retention, bonus etc all in.

Plus, rather than sacrifice the best years of my life, I'll just live as a bachelor in a rented place and do whatever I want while paying off my little debt.

mastercool12
09-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I have worked/do work in Fort Mac... and no, not really they don't. If you are offering me said job, have an in at said job, or can point me in the direction of said job, by all means, show me the money/

I'm not saying you CAN'T earn money, but I am saying that most people won't. Out of school, Syncrude offered people $40/h to work there. That's $80k per year gross not including overtime. Could you earn more? I guess. But I've never saw anything remotely close to $200k, OT, retention, bonus etc all in.

Plus, rather than sacrifice the best years of my life, I'll just live as a bachelor in a rented place and do whatever I want while paying off my little debt.

I know someone who is a journeyman inst tech who works for Shell in Fort Mac. Just asked for his pay package. This is what he told me:

"I currently work for Shell Canada Ltd. and my salary is $120k (105 + 15 shift differential) not including bonuses or overtime. This is with Red Seal qualifications (journeyman ticket) and my technologist diploma. Overtime is 2x the hourly rate ($52.50/hr) and a standard personal bonus is 8-12k, and retention bonus is 15-20k. I work 7 days on, 7 days off, for 12 hour days with minimum 2 hours traveling time each day. I should also inform you that this is one of the premium companies to work for in Fort McMurray."

Type_S1
09-02-2011, 08:03 AM
...People overstate what you make in fort mac. I have friends that moved there for the money after highschool and hated the life, it is the worst life/job in the world they said, and they pay wasn't that great. The only reason they make any decent coin is because all of the overtime :dunno:

I would spend a few years at school to get into the office side(geologist, engineer, land, marketing etc.) of the oil industry if you want to be in the industry and you will make far more then any oil patch guy would dream of in the end with bigger bonus's, a mon-fri work schedule and a decent lifestyle IMO.

HiTempguy1
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM

I know someone who is a journeyman inst tech who works for Shell in Fort Mac. Just asked for his pay package. This is what he told me:

Yes, as he has demonstrated, he is not a junior by any stretch of the imagination. I am one year into the 4 years it will take for me to become a journeymen (I have my diploma and am a technologist). Also, being one of the premium companies in Fort Mac, means that EVERYONE applies to them. I know a lot of good, hard working people I would hire over myself due to their skillset. Among other things, lots of companies in the Fort will NOT hire someone unless they are a j.man.

As the poster above me stated, people blow their salaries out of proportion up there. I have an actual example of someone fresh out of school, full benefits, $40/h ($76,800 per year GROSS), a $30k moving bonus if you bought a place, etc etc. He has specifically told me he doesn't find it worth it. I can go load rail cars with Agrium in Fort Sask for that kind of money, while being 20 minutes from Edmonton and also taking whatever the hell time off I want. :dunno:

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I know this field. I work with plenty of technologists, know plenty of journeymen, and know what the score is.

01RedDX
09-02-2011, 10:23 AM

03ozwhip
09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Haha, co-sign.
OP when you see older guys like us feeling this way, you know you're doing just fine, much better than a lot of guys your age. Just remember, it's who you know, not what you know. So be kind to people, set goals, be positive and work hard at whatever you do, and things will be just fine. Its perfectly normal to feel this way.

^^^LOL you know nothing about me bro. i have NEVER had a co-signer on any of my 4 houses. dont jump to conclusions, i did very well in real estate and im good with my money so id think before you speak if i were you. i have a $400,000 house with a 1200 a month mortgage, what does that tell you?

HiTempguy1
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

i did very well in real estate

The protection biz as a gangbanger? :rofl: Sorry, kind of opened yourself up to that one from the other thread ;)

turbotrip
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM

^^^LOL you know nothing about me bro. i have NEVER had a co-signer on any of my 4 houses. dont jump to conclusions, i did very well in real estate and im good with my money so id think before you speak if i were you. i have a $400,000 house with a 1200 a month mortgage, what does that tell you?

LOL @ not catching what he meant by co-sign

01RedDX
09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Type_S1
09-02-2011, 10:47 AM

:facepalm: :facepalm:

03ozwhip
09-02-2011, 10:48 AM
LOL sorry man, i havent seen that one before.

mastercool12
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Yes, as he has demonstrated, he is not a junior by any stretch of the imagination. I am one year into the 4 years it will take for me to become a journeymen (I have my diploma and am a technologist). Also, being one of the premium companies in Fort Mac, means that EVERYONE applies to them. I know a lot of good, hard working people I would hire over myself due to their skillset. Among other things, lots of companies in the Fort will NOT hire someone unless they are a j.man.

As the poster above me stated, people blow their salaries out of proportion up there. I have an actual example of someone fresh out of school, full benefits, $40/h ($76,800 per year GROSS), a $30k moving bonus if you bought a place, etc etc. He has specifically told me he doesn't find it worth it. I can go load rail cars with Agrium in Fort Sask for that kind of money, while being 20 minutes from Edmonton and also taking whatever the hell time off I want. :dunno:

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I know this field. I work with plenty of technologists, know plenty of journeymen, and know what the score is.

May I ask what electrical techologists/inst start at usually IN the city then? (Assuming Calgary). Do these techs usually make the big bucks that they claim?

Reason why I ask is because I was talking to a kid I went to high school with who finished an electronics technology program (not quite the same, but close) and he expects to hit the 150k mark after 10-20 years of experience...

And I agree with you. I wouldn't sell my soul to work in Fort Mac for the life of me. At one point you have to consider personal preferences that can be way more important than just a massive pay check.

03ozwhip
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM

The protection biz as a gangbanger? :rofl: Sorry, kind of opened yourself up to that one from the other thread ;)

so what youre saying is, that people cant change for the better? fuck off. regardless OP, theres alot of good info in here, like 01reddx said, yourre doing better than alot of othe people your age.

dirtsniffer
09-02-2011, 11:59 AM

May I ask what electrical techologists/inst start at usually IN the city then? (Assuming Calgary). Do these techs usually make the big bucks that they claim?

Reason why I ask is because I was talking to a kid I went to high school with who finished an electronics technology program (not quite the same, but close) and he expects to hit the 150k mark after 10-20 years of experience...

And I agree with you. I wouldn't sell my soul to work in Fort Mac for the life of me. At one point you have to consider personal preferences that can be way more important than just a massive pay check.

from what I know (not much) they start off at aroung 25/hour or 50/year. top salary is around 100k unless they are self employed or adept at climbing the ladder

300havoc
09-04-2011, 02:53 PM
You guys are awesome, I'm definitely finding this all helpful.

I think my general idea is to get back into school and take something actually useful, probably in the field of business. Now it's just going to come down to when, where, what concentration I want to focus on, and what direction that will put me in. Marketing came to my mind this weekend, when I was talking with my family about where my mom works. She was telling me about their failed use of adverts and social media because no one would focus on that where she works. I could think of a million ways for that to work in their favor off the top of my head, and if that came easily to me, then that should be a direction that I look into. I'm not sure if that is really considered marketing, or if it's considered something else, but this week i'm going to sit down and do a bunch of research for different schools and programs that might help me with that.

I think the issue isn't my company, my company probably has room to grow. The issue is that most, if not all of the higher up positions require that university degree/5 years of working experience which I just don't have. That, and the level that I'm at isn't at the capacity to be able to let me explore all of those options available because my job its self is way under staffed. I don't feel like I have that opportunity to even explore those options, but that would be something I'd have to bring up with my boss.

Again, thank you all for your input on here, and if anyone can think of anything else, by all means put it in here. It's interesting to see where people are in the world.

J.D.
09-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi Im unemployed again! yay except no moneys coming in so kinda well gay.

I like you have no fing clue what I wanna do and have been trying different jobs and schooling for about a two year span till I got to the top wage scale and am now looking at going back to school again and just taking different shyte that when I think of it I might enjoy or want to do.

As per the money, if you don't like what you do at all then I think the moneys irrelevant better to work as a low income employee and enjoy it than make top dollar. Plus its all how you make ur money work for you.

Good luck though and as others have said its good ur thinkin bout this already.

One thing I know for damn sure is I could never be a cop.

03ozwhip
09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by J.D.

One thing I know for damn sure is I could never be a cop.

i see what youre saying you fucker....lol i can read between the lines

J.D.
09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
^^^^ Written before we were talking LMFAO

Street_Soldier
09-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I started out wanting to do a trade at SAIT, then progressing to owning my own company when I got enough experience. Being asian my parents didnt want me to take this route and pretty much made me go to the U, which was kind of a problem since out of high school I didnt have the grades or even knew what I wanted to do. So i spent a year upgrading and trying to decide what was the best for me. I decided that I was going to go into business. After the year I had the grades but a few friends and I decided we would take computer science instead. At the time I had very little computer experience aside from msn, icq and browsing. Never programmed a thing in my life. Never even fixed my own computer when it crashes.

Fastforward to finishing school. Lined up a job out of school with an engineering company. Spent a few years there and learned as much as i could left and became a consultant.

Now i work from home or where ever i want, constant work and pretty happy with the way things turned out.

Sugarphreak
09-16-2011, 10:26 AM

brucebanner
09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
I myself spend a lot of time bouncing around. Spent time at an auto shop/savage yard (family business), stuccoing buildings, seismic, pipeline, and now I'm just about a journeyman pipe fitter. Once I become a Journeyman I plan starting my power engineering. I have goals of getting off of the tools and being more in the managerial roles with much more responsibilities and a lot more money too ;)

OP you just have to try things, you may do something that you'll love right away or maybe you'll have to try several things. You're young, there is lots of time and you will find something you enjoy more often then not.

For me personally, the money has to be there and the guys I work with either make it or break it for me.