PDA

View Full Version : Scam warning: fake ebay protection for forum sales

googe
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
A user has (unsuccessfully, as far as I know) been attempting to scam others in the marketplace.

A search of this user's previous posts also turned up him creating a fairly pathetic fake review for his own business.

I'm not going to name the individual/business yet, because I'm waiting for a little more info, but I can say how the scam works.

The scammer was attempting to sell a playbook. It is known that he was updating his thread from Calgary. When an interested buyer contact him, he sent this message:

I'm in Hamilton, ON now (relocated for work) but overnight shipping is included in the price, UPS or FedEx, and insurance/tracking is also included.

If you use eBay I'd like to do it that way, so we're both protected and can exchange feedback later. You will be covered by $2000 buyer protection
and get 90 days money back guarantee...I did over 70,000 transactions with them

I just need your name and eBay ID, once I set it up with eBay they'll confirm it with you and then we're good to go, even if you don't use eBay now I can set it up.

It will be set up for WU payment which is instant so I can ship same day. My sister works for them and gets the fee back so I will cover the fee.

Just go to www.westernunion.com and find their agent close to you

Let me know when you do that and I can send you all details and instructions

Here he is offering some kind of protection through ebay for a forum sale. Ebay does not offer this service. They actually have a page about this scam (usually used for cars), stating that they do not do transactions outside of ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/protecting-against-scams.html

The reason that he asked for the ebay ID is because he was going to send a fake email, personalized with the guys user ID, that appeared to be from ebay and would say that this transaction is registered and protected, so it is ok to wire your money via western union (ebay does not even allow western union payments because they are all scams).

The fake message looks similar to this, although there are different versions, and some look more real than others.

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/motors2/images/IMGfraud_chat_moneygram_email.jpg

Do not deal with someone who suggests a Western Union payment, or who suggests that they can set it up so that ebay protects the transaction.