PDA

View Full Version : Technologists with their C.E.T.

funkytuqe
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I am writing my C.E.T exam in 2 weeks. Anyone have any words of advice? Is this test difficult? I have my study materials, what should i concentrate on?

Thanks

Cos
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Pretty easy. Hardest part is about the labour laws, which isnt that hard.

Honestly the CET is useless. I only suggest people get it to allow them to get their P.Tech or P.L. Eng which ARE useful.

funkytuqe
08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
I agree it is kinda useless. I have been in the industry for 12 years with no real need for it. My employer will pay for my Cert so i thought to my self why not?

Cos
08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by funkytuqe
I agree it is kinda useless. I have been in the industry for 12 years with no real need for it. My employer will pay for my Cert so i thought to my self why not?

Oh I agree, it doesnt hurt. I found my PMP to be much more useful then my CET. Like I said though ASET and APEGGA have you buy the balls, if you dont have CET you cant move forward.

The test isnt hard, my favorite question was (paraphrasing):

"If you knew what another competitor would bid on a project, and you wanted to use it to your advantage, what would you do"

- Use it to underbid
- Bid the same (with some other clause)
- Ignore the info
- Remove yourself from the bid because of conflict

I actually laughed out loud during that question. The hardest part is the specific labour laws that you can make your staff work (i.e. # of short term leave hours, hours before OT, etc) and they are specific on the hours so you have to know it.

Granted this was 4 years ago so since I wrote it so it may have changed. I just dont see the CET becoming hard. It is a money maker for ASET with no real responsibility so they have no reason to make it hard. I have heard the P.L. Eng and P.Tech tests are hard, which I think they should be.

Good luck.

codetrap
08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
The biggest use I've had for my CET is that it gives me better insurance rates than NAIT alumnai did for TD Meloche.

Tarrantula
08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I took the test on the 13th, it is now 50 true/false questions... it was RETARDED easy.. the only question I didnt know what "Aset was formed in 1963" - and i guessed true.

Honestly if you read through the workers comp and oh&s you will be fine.

I converted it to audio file and just listened to it the weekend before and I passed no problem. its 99% common sense.

The only thing that sucks is you now have to fill out CPD forms at least twice a year, read into it - kinda sucks. but whatever.

Cos
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

The only thing that sucks is you now have to fill out CPD forms at least twice a year, read into it - kinda sucks. but whatever.

I havent dont this and they keep taking my money.... haha

Nufy
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
I didn't do a test for mine...

It was about 15 years ago though and I transferred mine from NL.

funkytuqe
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys i appreciate the input.

PS "ASET was incorporated August 1, 1963." straight off the website.