PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx

nguyen
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Hows the quality of these jackets? Are they comfortable? Has anyone bought this brand before? There's copious amounts of models and trims that it's just so overbearing to decide from anything or to even know where to look. I want something for the wintertime. Any opinions would be great. thanks.

BrknFngrs
08-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I've always been impressed with their gear but they demand a huge premium compared to similar quality brands.

arian_ma
08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
What kind of jacket?

mazdavirgin
08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Buy in the US... It's a Canadian company but they mark up all their stuff in Canada an obscene amount. Typically their gear costs a lot more than it is actually worth...

nguyen
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I was looking at the fission SV vs. AR. it`s online right now for approx $375 for the AR. so i`m just wondering if the SV is that drastic in difference or not. other than that i don`t really know what else to look at. i`m not willing to pay $700 for a jacket, but i know i can definately find it elsewhere for 50% of the price.

Mazda: Where in the u.s. would u say?

mazdavirgin
08-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by nguyen
I was looking at the fission SV vs. AR. it`s online right now for approx $375 for the AR. so i`m just wondering if the SV is that drastic in difference or not. other than that i don`t really know what else to look at. i`m not willing to pay $700 for a jacket, but i know i can definately find it elsewhere for 50% of the price.

Mazda: Where in the u.s. would u say?

Pretty much anywhere in the US it will be substantially cheaper. Granted they are not allowed to ship to Canada so you will have to use a remailer or pick it up in person.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/mens-jackets#search=%3Fpath%3Dcdepartmentofgoodsc11s20%2523%2523k%2523%252314l%26sortby%3Dtitle%26page%3D5

freshprince1
08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
It's good stuff, high quality and fits great, but it's not cheap.

sputnik
08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Beware of fakes.

They are all over the place.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Arc-apos-teryx-Fakes-how-to-spot-them-before-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000009673905

SIC1
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Arc'teryx as previously stated is premium priced. I would have never bought any of my gear unless I got it through a pro deal( if you work in retail you can get it at a substantial discount through 3point5.com)

AR vs SV

differences between AR vs SV are as follows:

Arc'teryx names their goods with the designation

SV -Severe weather - best features for storms, snow, ice etc, which include more insulation, 3ply gore-tex etc.
AR - All around (best of what you may need) -stow away hood, less insuration compared to SV
LT - light - If it doesn't need extra zippers, insulation, minimalist features
SL - Super light - minimalist features - the lightest in terms of weight and features

Others options:
MX - mixed conditions
SK - ski touring specific

With that said SV usually has more insulation (core-loft or primaloft) or thicker GORE-TEX than AR and more than the above stated.

I personally don't have the Fission as I like to layer my clothing as I tend to overheat and cool down quickly while ice climbing/ski touring/snowboarding.

What are you planning on using the Fission for? You can get away with a hardshell if you later it with a good mid-layer and base for less. Arc'teryx or another brand. will do the job. Spending over $300 usually gets you a great jacket. Any other questions, just ask.

The fission SV is beefer and is a lot warmer as it's outer layer is waterproof

nguyen
08-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by SIC1
Arc'teryx as previously stated is premium priced. I would have never bought any of my gear unless I got it through a pro deal( if you work in retail you can get it at a substantial discount through 3point5.com)

AR vs SV

differences between AR vs SV are as follows:

Arc'teryx names their goods with the designation

SV -Severe weather - best features for storms, snow, ice etc, which include more insulation, 3ply gore-tex etc.
AR - All around (best of what you may need) -stow away hood, less insuration compared to SV
LT - light - If it doesn't need extra zippers, insulation, minimalist features
SL - Super light - minimalist features - the lightest in terms of weight and features

Others options:
MX - mixed conditions
SK - ski touring specific

With that said SV usually has more insulation (core-loft or primaloft) or thicker GORE-TEX than AR and more than the above stated.

I personally don't have the Fission as I like to layer my clothing as I tend to overheat and cool down quickly while ice climbing/ski touring/snowboarding.

What are you planning on using the Fission for? You can get away with a hardshell if you later it with a good mid-layer and base for less. Arc'teryx or another brand. will do the job. Spending over $300 usually gets you a great jacket. Any other questions, just ask.

The fission SV is beefer and is a lot warmer as it's outer layer is waterproof

Hey thanks for the great response. I was planning to use the jacket during the winter season as an everyday jacket. I went into atmosphere the other day to check out the models, and i don't like how some of the jackets were stiff; feels like raw denim almost. I'm not sure if that's pure gore-tex material but it's not breathable; or doesn't feel like it anyways. i like to be able to move in my jackets but also wanna be warm at the same time. I'm not gonna take it snowboarding or anything as i have another specific jacket for that purpose.

ZeeZee
08-31-2011, 10:07 AM
It's good, but not as good as it used to be, and no longer worth the premium. It's becoming a status symbol, so quality is starting to diminish. When fewer and fewer customers are using it for touring, and more and more people are using it for street wear, you can see where the brand is heading when fakes start to show up. That being said, their stuff is still better than 90% of what's out there.

Best stuff I have bought for the backcountry is Norrona, it's expensive but you can sometimes get good pricing over the border. Stoic gear is good for the price.

nguyen
08-31-2011, 02:12 PM
it seems that those "stoic gear" products seem stiff as well. I wanted something like Northface where the material moves like the nylon or whatever material it is from sleeping bags...but a little bit more rigid. The stiffness isn't very appealing to me but that may be in all the jackets nowadays and i might just have to compensate. :dunno:

know1edge
08-31-2011, 03:34 PM
you could just be like everyone else and buy a canada goose jacket :dunno:
(which btw are awesome)

slick2404
09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
$900 and only 300 made. OVO

http://www.1loveto.com/wp-content/uploads/OCT_CG1.jpg

http://www.1loveto.com/2010/11/09/ovo-x-canada-goose/

nguyen
09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
drake's edition canada goose. haha those jackets are pretty cool though. there's a couple of them made from wolverine fur and shit. looks pretty sick

sputnik
09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
I just lost all respect for Canada Goose.

ExtraSlow
09-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I've owned two arc'teryx shell jackets, and I loved each of them. The first one I bought cost me more than my car at the time, but back in those days, I was skiing a lot, and come to think of it, my skis cost more than my car too.

These days, I have different priorities, when the jacket I bought in 2004 finally wore out this spring, I replaced it with a shell from MEC. I can no longer justify the price.

They have a factory outlet store in Burnaby where they sell factory seconds. Most of the defects are tiny visual imperfections, so function is not impaired at all. Substantial discount too.

kJUMP
09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
North face is having a sample sale weekend of sept 23 at their office in NE calgary. I would go spend my money there

Originally posted by nguyen
Hows the quality of these jackets? Are they comfortable? Has anyone bought this brand before? There's copious amounts of models and trims that it's just so overbearing to decide from anything or to even know where to look. I want something for the wintertime. Any opinions would be great. thanks.

Sugarphreak
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM