PDA

View Full Version : Shipping engine to the states

LUDELVR
08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Well, I've tried calling DHL and I keep getting tossed in circles. I get a number saying they ship but nothing over 150 pounds, then they give me a number that can ship what I need to ship but no personal items.

Who has shipped an entire engine to the states as a personal item and not having it kill the bank account? I've never shipped an engine out before so I really don't know what's involved.

Any insight would be fantastic!

Maxt
08-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Your best bet is UPS cargo, its a separate division ups, its up near the airport. Its actually pretty reasonable , 500 to ship transmission to Japan.

milesmcewing
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Make sure you have your EPA clearance letters in place BEFORE you ship. Otherwise you will have a pile of grief.

It is not a customs requirement, but the EPA requires all engines to have this in order to import the engine.

I can't remember his first name but the EPA guy is ? St. Croix, he is the one who issues the paperwork in order to move the piece back and forth.

Now that we have the clearance, it is a lot easier.

For background info - we ship our race engines back and forth to have work done on them, so I speak from direct experience -not from what I think you need.

Cheers
Miles

Cheeba
09-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I used http://www.freightquote.com/ and got a rate lower than I could find just calling the usual shippers and getting a freight rate. Make sure you spend the time/effort to crate the engine properly!

JZS_147
09-08-2011, 03:08 AM
typically I've found Day & Ross to be the cheapest. I've shipped full engines to Texas for $230.

heavyD
09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
typically I've found Day & Ross to be the cheapest. I've shipped full engines to Texas for $230.

Yeah you have to go with a real freight company not courier for items like engines.

bourge73
09-08-2011, 08:09 AM
^^ Yup. Call around to trucking companies that ship transborder and "LTL" (less than truckload) An engine is not all that big or heavy, it should be pretty easy.

LUDELVR
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I've been looking around for a few days but keeping getting companies asking for my company details and what not. A lot that I've found don't do personal items so I guess I'm looking in the wrong places. I'll give that day and ross company a go. :thumbsup:

Cheeba
09-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Seriously, just make up a company name to get in the door :) I think the point is that they don't want to piss around with people that don't know what they're doing. That's where I found the Freightquote guys helpful –_they pretty much held my hand through the whole process by letting me know exactly all the things I had to have in order to be able to ship freight.

Maxt
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Thats not going to work ^... You will need an import/export business number for the custom docs if you use a company name...

71car2
09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I've been told that the cheapest rates for freight items to be shipped are found online in the internet. There are some sites to let people put in their info and details about their item in need of shipping. Shippers often would input their bid quotes to the person depending on what their item by size, weight and measures.

I've used twice myself and it was at very good prices! Unfortunately, most freight websites tend to focus within the States what I've seen online. I had to go to the states to pick up my stuff but still cheap compare to what they charge me to bring over into Canada.

On the other side - I had shipped entire engines in my van myself to the states and to other places the same time I go for my vacation trip. Saved me money and use it for my gas on the trip. No biggie deal as long it's not way off my route between point A to point B.

Cheeba
09-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Thats not going to work ^... You will need an import/export business number for the custom docs if you use a company name...

Not if you get the buyer, or Freightquote, to arrange a broker ;)

Maxt
09-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Then you have to answer the phone as Vandelay Industries for a month , till its delivered... :rofl:
And hope to god nobody at Customs Canada does a search for your company.. Lying on shit going cross border just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Try Canadian Freightways, people have shipped engines to me and parts from all over the place from non company , residential addresses using them.
Also, they are going to ask how the buyer is going to unload it, they will probably insist on using a power tailgate, and they charge extra for that service to.

71car2
09-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Also, they are going to ask how the buyer is going to unload it, they will probably insist on using a power tailgate, and they charge extra for that service to.

Yeah, that be a good idea if you know someone who have a power tailgate. Or if you have a buddy who have an engine crane in a truck - that will be nice.

Good luck with your search on shipping.