PDA

View Full Version : Questions About EI Eligibility

sexualbanana
08-30-2011, 02:07 PM
At the end of January I was let go from my job. In August, I started up a new job. So I've been collecting EI since February.

The thing is, this new job I have is 100% commission. And it takes a while for any new clients to come through the sales funnel. In that time I get $x as a car and fuel allowance that comes directly from the company but technically no pay, which comes the payroll company.

I haven't given my SIN to our Business Manager yet because, when I offered, she said that I don't have to give her that SIN and other info until I book my first commission.

It's the end of the month and my bills are killing me. So the question I have is, am I still technically eligible for EI since there's been no paperwork to say the contrary?

For the record, I'm not trying to work the system. Just the pressure of the bills is really starting to hurt.

Type_S1
08-30-2011, 02:22 PM
You have a job, no matter what the job is and how much your getting ripped off by complete commission with no client base, it is a job. EI is for individuals without jobs is what I always thought? So my answer would be no, but technically if no pay is reported to the government then yes you can get EI

masoncgy
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Isn't your employer going to forward your actual start date of Revenue Canada anyway? You don't want to be in a situation where they pay you full benefits and then they find out you have had a job for a period of time... they'll ask for everything back.

There's really no way around it. As soon as you are hired for a job, the EI ends or becomes substantially reduced, based on the income earned during the period.

Your best bet is to contact the EI office directly and ask for assistance.

Boat
08-30-2011, 02:29 PM
100% comission?

Please dont say you got a "job" with World financial group.

Mibz
08-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Your best bet is to contact the EI office directly and ask for assistance.

sexualbanana
08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Boat
100% comission?

Please dont say you got a "job" with World financial group.

Ha. No. Advertsing.

sexualbanana
08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Also, the EI toll-free line is painful to call. Everytime I've tried calling their at high-capacity and won't even put me on hold. It just cycles back to the menu system

Jason Lange
08-31-2011, 08:37 AM
EI, EI, EI, UH, OH...

CompletelyNumb
08-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Just keep filling in your reports. When you make a sale, you fill in the "Income which will be paid later" section. Once you get income, go off EI.

Scammers get caught when their payroll pays into EI contributions while they're still claiming EI. Since you have no income in your name/sin, it isn't "illegal" and you won't get red flagged for it.

Kobe
08-31-2011, 09:01 AM
While your on EI you can still make X amount/week and recieve EI, if you go to your Service Canada website it will tell you how much you can still earn a week and qualify to still earn EI

Keep filing your EI reports until you do go over the amount you can earn a week.

I think when I was on EI a few years back I could earn around $80? $90?/week and still qualify for EI

hurrdurr
08-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
EI, EI, EI, UH, OH...

What's poppin tonight?