PDA

View Full Version : Shock Absorbing Padding

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a sheet (1 foot x 1 foot x 1/4" or 3/8" is all I need) of some sort of impact absorbing material, like a gel material or something along those lines?

I've seen some stuff that figure skaters use for practicing with, but I can't seem to find a place to buy them.

Kennyredline
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I've used this stuff under the bass drum pedal of my drum kit, works pretty well, I've seen it at Home Depot.

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/images/kids/SoftFloorsStudying.jpg

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
That stuff looks pretty good but does it bend and fold easily? The reason I asked for gel padding is because I need it to be maneuverable.

adidas
08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Princess auto

Guillermo
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
another option might be a thermarest seat. it's air-filled and can puncture though, not sure exactly what you're trying to use this for?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/media.cascadedesigns.com/images/category/medium/Camp__Comfort_Seating.jpg

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm wanting to sew it into my snow pants to avoid the destruction of my tailbone this season lol. And yes, I know they have those impact shorts, but they are too bulky. I figure a thin gel layer right on the tail bone area will protect me enough for my needs, hence why I referenced the ice skater protective gel pads.

90_Shelby
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Buy a pair of biking shorts.

schocker
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I assume something like this would work better than crafting it yourself :rofl:
http://store.thinkempire.com/en/item.php?catid=65&subcatid=153&pos=1&id=69228&options[color]=BLACK+%28001%29

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I assume something like this would work better than crafting it yourself :rofl:
http://store.thinkempire.com/en/item.php?catid=65&subcatid=153&pos=1&id=69228&options[color]=BLACK+%28001%29
Nah, as I mentioned above I think those are too bulky and retard you a lot.

I was thinking something like this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEL-PAD-Ice-Skating-Fall-Impact-Injury-Protection-/290604973924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a967ff64

mazdavirgin
08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I'm wanting to sew it into my snow pants to avoid the destruction of my tailbone this season lol. And yes, I know they have those impact shorts, but they are too bulky. I figure a thin gel layer right on the tail bone area will protect me enough for my needs, hence why I referenced the ice skater protective gel pads.

Foam won't save your tailbone if you land on a rail. The impact shorts are bulky for a reason. If you are just worried about landing on your ass too often just put a pillow in your pants. You shouldn't be falling that often if you acquire any measure of skill so you probably won't want it after a couple more times out.

schocker
08-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Nah, as I mentioned above I think those are too bulky and retard you a lot.

Sorry, read impact shorts and was like wtf is that, I will suggest these :rofl:

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Foam won't save your tailbone if you land on a rail. The impact shorts are bulky for a reason. If you are just worried about landing on your ass too often just put a pillow in your pants. You shouldn't be falling that often if you acquire any measure of skill so you probably won't want it after a couple more times out.
Hahaha I thought this would be a weird suggestion hence why my first post was pretty vague. I'm falling lots because I am going off of kickers and such as much as possible. I'm not landing on rails, I'm landing on packed snow usually, but when it happens 10 times a day for a whole season, it starts to hurt. The way I see it, if I'm not falling I'm not trying hard enough.

mazdavirgin
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Hahaha I thought this would be a weird suggestion hence why my first post was pretty vague. I'm falling lots because I am going off of kickers and such as much as possible. I'm not landing on rails, I'm landing on packed snow usually, but when it happens 10 times a day for a whole season, it starts to hurt. The way I see it, if I'm not falling I'm not trying hard enough.

If you are going off kickers and landing on your ass you are doing something wrong... I have broken bones bailing off jumps but I have never found that I kept landing on my ass. Just put your board/skis down.

DENZILDON
08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
My burton back pack has saved my ass a couple of times. I just put in an extra shirt and an extra sweater in it.

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Ohhhh so that's what I'm doing wrong. I'm supposed to land ON my board....

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions?

Edit:

Originally posted by DENZILDON
My burton back pack has saved my ass a couple of times. I just put in an extra shirt and an extra sweater in it.
lol that must be one low backpack

Guillermo
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
wear some football pants or something, they have good tailbone protection

http://www.youthfootballpants.org/images/youth-football-pants.jpg

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 01:16 PM
For anyone looking in the future, I am going to order these as they seem to fit the bill and be made for this purpose:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waxel-3-4-Thick-LARGE-Tailbone-Pad-GREAT-PROTECTION-/230656771987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b4370793

SOAB
08-31-2011, 01:16 PM
They have a solution for you at www.manupandgrowaset.com

DENZILDON
08-31-2011, 01:20 PM

lol that must be one low backpack

Yup! and it has the belt clip too so it pretty secure specially right on my tailbone! lol!!!

dansmith11
08-31-2011, 01:27 PM
have you heard of d3o?

http://www.d3o.com/

shits pretty crazy. looks like theres way more stuff they are selling these days. a few years ago i bought a suit from them, its like a base layer but with d3o pads on the tailbone/knees/hips/eblows/shoulders . shits pretty crazy. very light, but awesome protection.

they have videos of dudes getting smacked in the head with a shovel while wearing a d3o hat and not feeling it.

i havent tested it that much, but i do know you can lay it on the ground and punch the ground as hard as you can and not hurt your hand. lol and ive used it snowboarding a bunch. taken lots of spills on my knees, elbows, tailbone and walked away with no bruises or anything. it definitely does the job. kinda pricey, but awesome stuff.

you used to be able to buy it in sheets as well and then cut and sew it any which way you want.

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 02:04 PM
:love: that's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Oh wait, but you can't buy that stuff!! God damnit!

mazdavirgin
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
:dunno: Seriously why are you even worried about this? I don't know anyone who snowboards with this type of stuff. You should probably just take lessons so that you stop landing on your ass off jumps.

schocker
08-31-2011, 04:36 PM
:love: that's exactly what I am looking for. Thanks
Oh wait, but you can't buy that stuff!! God damnit!
Oh but take a look at the specs of the item I posted :rofl:

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
:dunno: Seriously why are you even worried about this? I don't know anyone who snowboards with this type of stuff. You should probably just take lessons so that you stop landing on your ass off jumps.
Listen man, I appreciate your awesome comments and great advice like "try to land on your board", as well as the truly world class advice you gave last year about whether or not people should wear helmets ( :facepalm: ), but can you please either answer my question or go do your awesome snowboarding on the hill and not worry about why I do or do not want a gel pad?

K thx

Edit: also, schocker, I did notice that after I read the d3o website (they had what you posted listed), but I find them too bulky and uncomfortable. I would prefer just the pad.

mazdavirgin
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
What can you do? Noobs will be noobs I guess. If ass padding was that important you would see all the guys in big air or pipe wearing them but eh no one wears that shit.

In either case my advice is still on par for the whole helmet business. A helmet doesn't help if you are going over a certain speed as was discussed in the studies I posted. The problem is that people buy helmets not realising they are not designed for impacts over a certain speed which is frightfully low. Especially the crappy helmets that are sold in bulk to your average consumer. Full face helmets/race helmets offer better protection but hardly anyone wears the things since they don't come with brims/cool colours and cost a fair bit...

Shealy et al conclude "...the findings are not particularly supportive of the notion that wearing helmets will significantly reduce the number of fatalities in winter snow sports". This was supported by a presentation at the last ISSS meeting by the Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Vermont, USA - Dr Paul L. Morrow. Dr Morrow was of the opinion that of 54 deaths at commercial ski areas in Vermont from 1979/80 to 1997/98, helmets would not have been of any particular value in saving any of the lives lost - as the degree of trauma simply overwhelmed any benefits that the helmet might convey in an impact. To quote Shealy et al again - a team of highly respected ski injury researchers - "On the basis of results to date, there is no clear evidence that helmets have been shown to be an effective means of reducing fatalities in alpine sports".

Its a sobering fact for example that more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents in 2008/09 at ski areas in the USA were wearing helmets at the time of the incident (Source - NSAA). As Shealy states "Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality."

To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at much higher speeds.

So yeah you should actually look into things before accepting the fact that the off the shelf helmets are safe. They are not designed for what people think they actually are, people think the helmet is somehow going to save them when they land on their heads or hit a tree...

Disoblige
08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
lol and here I thought this was some sort of friendly banter between mazdavirgin & arian_ma because they both went to the same Engg school.

My bad ;)

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 07:05 PM
[/B]
:dunno: it's better than nothing and there is nothing you can say that makes that false.

C_Dave45
08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Look for a used pair of Mens hockey pants. The better ones have padding with a built-in hard plastic plate to protect the tail bone. Take just that one pad out and sew it into your ski pants. You could probably find a pair of pants for $20 or $30 off kijiji or a used sports place. They can be in pretty rough shape and that pad will still be good.

I've bruised my tailbone badly before and it hurts like a mo-f0.

*edit*:

Here ya go. These ones have them: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-Mission-Hockey-Pants-W0QQAdIdZ310190107
Only $10!!

dirtsniffer
08-31-2011, 08:09 PM
i always had to shove a tail bone protector into my football shorts. maybe just the pad and shorts would work for you

C_Dave45
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Or you could just buy this:

http://www.snowboardsecrets.com/azzpadz.htm

http://www.snowboardsecrets.com/images/General/impact2.gif

http://www.snowboardsecrets.com/images/General/fit.jpg

BrknFngrs
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM

:dunno: it's better than nothing and there is nothing you can say that makes that false.

:werd: After I cracked a helmet on a rail I'd never consider riding without one again.

As for the padding; have you actually tried on any bicycle shorts from a place like MEC? The reason I ask is because I assumed that they were going to be uncomfortable/bulky but was very surprised when I tried them on (though I use them for long motorcycle rides as opposed to snowboarding)

If you're dead set on sewing something into your snow pants than Dave's idea seems pretty solid, but I suspect that would be way more noticeable than a boxer-brief type padded bike short.

arian_ma
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I'll update with pics once I find the best option for me. C_Dave that jockey pants idea is nice and cheap! And brknfngrs I actually just took at a few bike shorts online and you're right too!

msommers
08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Buy a pair of biking shorts.

I was going to suggest this! It works! I'm a terrible snowboarder and rock them everytime I go out.

Prelude_dude
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
i used to duct tape a volley ball knee pad to myself lol, worked like a charm