PDA

View Full Version : Review: Famoso Neapolitan Pizzaria

JfuckinC
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Famoso Neapolitan Pizzaria

2303 4 Street Southwest, Calgary, AB T2S 2S7
(403) 455-3839

http://maps.google.ca/maps/placeq=famoso&hl=en&cid=14299825540387440754

So i went over to my sisters before going to the bar last week and her friend had bought over a pizza from famoso for them to eat. I had a piece and loved. So i work on 4th, and she lives on 2nd and we wanted to have dinner last night, she suggested famoso so i could try it for real this time.

Ambience: 8/10

It's nothing fancy, honestly sort of like a cafeteria haha. But it's cute, fits the bill if you wanna take a girl somewhere different/interesting, or if you wanna have a quick dinner with your sister like me haha

Service: 7/10

Now it only got a 7 because you have to go up to the front to order! Then they bring you everything and take care of you after that. The girls were polite, prompt and gave you enough time between app's/main to eat, and didn't rush you out with the bill at the end even though there were some people waiting.

Food: 9/10

Small menu, but it was soo good. We shared a large Napoli Salad to start. Ordered a bottle of Malbec, because it was wine wednesdays there was wine tasting and 2 free dips with any bottle of wine ordered so we got bruschetta for our dips. The Dip's and salad were delicious! We didn't finish the salad, it was a very good size for 2, and my sister didn't finish her dip(but i did haha) so the poritons were good here.

For pizza we ordered a Conforto to share. Once again, verrry good, everything seemed fresh, the meat was tastey and the crust seemed just right. The past week my sisters friend had brought over a Vesuvio and i loved it but it was a little too spicy for me (i'm a bitch for spicy food) but i think i'd try it again anyways because it was good.

Pricing: 9/10

I thought it was a fair price at $65 incl tip? Maybe some would think other wise, but i was content and not hungry till later that night after the gym, and i'm a big guy/eater..

Overall: 9/10

I'd suggest it to anyone looking for a nice pizza place to take a date. It's different and the foods good, that's why it stood out to me. So I'll definitely be back for more!

JRSC00LUDE
09-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I, like you, want to have a quick dinner with your sister so thank you for the advice. ;)

JfuckinC
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I, like you, want to have a quick dinner with your sister so thank you for the advice. ;)

it says "your" not "my" jackass hahaha :poosie:

hurrdurr
09-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Drive by this place everyday on my way home from work, Always wonder if it's any good

Guillermo
09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I've been a few times. The pizza is good IMO, but I can't say I'm a fan of this recent pseudo-Nepolitan craze. I mean it's a good style, but why do we need 5 restaurants jumping on this bandwagon when we could instead have them diversifying the YYC pizza scene, and offering top-notch pies from other genres like NYC, real deep dish, Chicago-style thin crust, etc. etc. etc. But then again, that would require some sort of love for the art of pizza making. These pseudo-Neopolitan shops, on the other hand, are out to make a quick buck off the current hot trend. I understand some people like making money, but supporting the trend makes me feel like a marketing victim.

I would be surprised to see any of these new pseudo-Neopolitan shops open in 5-10 years. this is a passing fad, and will soon go the way of tapas and sliders. :dunno:

1barA4
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
I prefer this place to Pulcinella's any day

Yes Pulcinella's is more authentic for you Itie's but I hate canned mushrooms, crappy service and snooty clientele, so Famoso's is the only neopolitan place for me

Xtrema
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I only find it ok last time I was there. Nothing really stands out about it.

flipstah
09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it's great but their prices don't justify it.

shadowz
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 1barA4
I prefer this place to Pulcinella's any day

Yes Pulcinella's is more authentic for you Itie's but I hate canned mushrooms, crappy service and snooty clientele, so Famoso's is the only neopolitan place for me

that was the major let down for me as well, they used to use good fresh ingredients, now they're using off the shelf junk. I am going to give Without Papers a try to compare.

On Famosos I don't prefer how you have to pay/order as we would have to keep going back to order more

flipstah
09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

On Famosos I don't prefer how you have to pay/order as we would have to keep going back to order more

I found that weird too. Especially when the server recommends something and it sounds good:

"Great! Just order it over there" WTF.

shadowz
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I found that weird too. Especially when the server recommends something and it sounds good:

Ya it was quite frustrating especially when we were sitting in the basement

1barA4
09-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

That's....odd

Anything else I've ordered beyond the first order which has to be made at the front, the servers I've had didn't have a problem putting it in for me.

flipstah
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 1barA4

That's....odd

Anything else I've ordered beyond the first order which has to be made at the front, the servers I've had didn't have a problem putting it in for me.

Odd indeed... Perhaps it was a busy day for moi as my server was all over the place.

Either that, or you look like Brad Pitt. DAMN YOU! :guns:

msommers
09-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
I mean it's a good style, but why do we need 5 restaurants jumping on this bandwagon when we could instead have them diversifying the YYC pizza scene, and offering top-notch pies from other genres like NYC, real deep dish, Chicago-style thin crust, etc. etc. etc.

Because people hear pizza and think only the good stuff is from Italy. And then they go there and are disappointed it's nothing like they have at home because it's not loaded with toppings. I can't eat normal pizza here now. It's massive but mainly disgustingly greasy and the ingredients don't taste nearly as fresh. Maybe it had to do with Italian tomatoes. That or I think I'm cultured :rofl:

The best pizza I had in all of Italy was at a small bar in Ostia, south of Rome. Tomatoes, chicken, rosemary and spinach. Fuck it was good.

Mitsu3000gt
09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I thought this place was awesome. Not as good as Italy, but I enjoyed it.

We had to go to the counter and order for ourselves, too. Super weird - that part I didn't like.

JfuckinC
09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Honestly it was the only thing that bothered me!

bananaprobana
09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
This place was really good the first few times I went when it first opened. I returned a couple weeks ago and it didn't taste as good anymore. I prefer Una over Famosos.

[Yu]
09-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I still can't believe they allow a restaurant to be called WoP. But I didn't really like the Margarita at Famoso pizza, the sauce just doesn't do it for me. Every other part of the pizza was good, but the crust was a little too soft for me, it didn't really hold up well.

flipstah
09-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
I still can't believe they allow a restaurant to be called WoP. But I didn't really like the Margarita at Famoso pizza, the sauce just doesn't do it for me. Every other part of the pizza was good, but the crust was a little too soft for me, it didn't really hold up well.

A customer that sat beside us had the same complaint as well and their rationale was that the pizza was a 'saucy' kind and you shouldn't expect a crispy crust.

Ours was great!

A790
11-14-2013, 04:49 PM
My wife used to work here (for about six months) in the McKenzie Towne location.

I wouldn't eat there again if you paid me.

toshi45
11-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by A790
My wife used to work here (for about six months) in the McKenzie Towne location.

Why.....besides you had it too often?

JRSC00LUDE
11-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by A790

Two year bump deserves more information.

A790
11-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by toshi45

Why.....besides you had it too often?
We stopped ordering from there when every order, literally every one, was made wrong. Or was soggy.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Two year bump deserves more information.
lol. So it does.

I've lost faith in the kitchens ability to produce a meal reliably. Every time we ordered something for take out, or whenever she'd bring something home, it was wrong/a mistake/missing something, etc.

Every staff member I talked to there always seemed like they were eager to find a new job. That's pretty telling...