PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Lexus SC 430...good car? 185,000km!

Canucks3322
09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Would you buy if it was real cheap?? I've never really looked into this car cuz it's always been way out of my price range but I've seen a 2002 with 185,000km...black, convertible soft top with god awful ugly dark orangy red interior? It's being sold at a Toyota dealership so I assume mechanically, it's up to their standards...

Canucks3322
09-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Nevermind, seems like a real shitty car lol

Neil4Speed
09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Hahha, to each their own. Personally, with an obvious bias, the SC430 always struck me as somewhat of a chick car. To say its a "Shitty car" not fair to say if you are looking for that kind of car.

That "god awful ugly dark orangy" leather is also called Saddle, and pretty saught after. I think it looks super nice, and contrasts really nicely with the interior. The one your looking at has a black exterior. Black on saddle is probably one of the best color combos for this car.

Its also a "hard top" convertable, not a soft top. It is pretty nice and generally quite reliable, unlike the Mercedes alternative.

Are you looking for a nice, reliable, covertable cruiser. If so, you can't do wrong with a a SC430. Its fast enough, and the fit and finish is impeccable. Its a great driver, not sporty, but enjoyable. The interior is one of the best imo. The car was designed to compete with the SL500 at almost half the price.

Would I buy it if it was "real cheap", no probably not, I don't really like covertibles and not sold on the styling. I would for my mom/sister though.

Canucks3322
09-03-2011, 12:10 PM
^ Hmmm, ya after a bit of research, it seems as if Lexus designed this car for rich housewives...although in black with some decent rims it might look quite nice :thumbsup:...and it will hold it's resale value as I'm looking for something to drive for a year then sell before I apply for a mortgage (can't really say that about a 350z or G35)....do you think $16,000 is a fair price for 185,000km??

Kloubek
09-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Neil pretty much hit it on the head. They are nice cars, but not really very sporty. And I too like the interior colour you mentioned, but obviously, coloured interiors are up to individual tastes.

16g is a good deal for Canada - but I'd be hesitant to pay that kind of money for any car with almost 200k on the odo....

BensonTT
09-03-2011, 01:07 PM
those sc430 looks pretty dope with a bodykit! i like lol

Kardon
09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.iputinwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/vlene_01_l.jpg
http://www.iputinwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jobdesign_06.jpg
If I were to buy a SC430/Soarer I'd definitely wait until I had enough cash so I could put in a set of coilovers/bags and wheels before anybody got to see it.

Tik-Tok
09-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
It's being sold at a Toyota dealership so I assume mechanically, it's up to their standards...

Lol, new to dealing with stealerships, are we?

Canucks3322
09-04-2011, 01:04 PM
^ well for used cars, you're USUALLY safe buying one off a new car lot...most new car dealers, when they take in a trade-in (which is where they get their used car inventory from)...they check it out, and if it's not up to snuff (ie. too old, too many km, bad history, etc.) they sell it off to a wholesaler or directly to an independent used car lot, or like a certain American brand dealer in this city, which I will not mention by name, one of their separate used car lots that they own....so basically, in most cases, if you're buying a used car off a new car dealer's lot, it's most likely been thru their checks to make sure it's good enough to sell on their lot, they also have a reputation to uphold so they want to make sure they aren't selling lemons.....that's the way I understand how it works, someone can correct me if I'm wrong......

Mibz
09-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
^ well for used cars, you're USUALLY safe buying one off a new car lot...most new car dealers, when they take in a trade-in (which is where they get their used car inventory from)...they check it out, and if it's not up to snuff (ie. too old, too many km, bad history, etc.) they sell it off to a wholesaler or directly to an independent used car lot, or like a certain American brand dealer in this city, which I will not mention by name, one of their separate used car lots that they own....so basically, in most cases, if you're buying a used car off a new car dealer's lot, it's most likely been thru their checks to make sure it's good enough to sell on their lot, they also have a reputation to uphold so they want to make sure they aren't selling lemons.....that's the way I understand how it works, someone can correct me if I'm wrong...... Unless problems are going to be immediately visible on a test drive they have no motivation to sink money into fixing them. Spend as little money as possible getting the car to a sellable state and then sell it for as much money as possible.

If a customer comes back 31 days later with problems it just means they're actually getting paid for service.