PDA

View Full Version : Caliper Paint

nine8civicSi
01-22-2004, 12:54 PM
i wanted to paint my calipers on my car....now i know i should use the hihg temp auto paint or whatev....but i was looking for something to brush on instead of spray :) any sugggestions on brands?

also, how should i prepthem? just sand em? or what...thanks for the help in advance

C_CRX
01-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Canadian Tire sold actual "Caliper Paint" the last time I was there. It was a spray tho.

I think one of those ricer brans sells a brush on type with all the fixings like prep/cleaner. Don't remember what brand but it's fairly expensive compared to the spray! HTH

VWhooligan
01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
the brand is called foliatech and its a really good kit. comes with a spray on dirt-remover, paint and a hardener to mix with the paint. the can of paint coems with more than enough to do 8 calipers, so if you have a friend you two can share it

i did this on my car a year ago and its still looking fresh

maximus
01-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
the brand is called foliatech and its a really good kit. comes with a spray on dirt-remover, paint and a hardener to mix with the paint. the can of paint coems with more than enough to do 8 calipers, so if you have a friend you two can share it

i did this on my car a year ago and its still looking fresh

I also suggest this one. Its only around $40 and like he said there is way more than enough. I mixed it all together and ended up throwing the rest away. I had probably more than half left after doing 3 coats per caliper. Nobody wanted the rest. Just mix half the hardener and paint or find a friend and split the cost.

BTW the cleaner is just brake clean. So if you decide on using spray instead of the foliatech kit use brake clean before painting.

edit: you asked about prepping.....just coarse wire brush and brake clean. Don't sand. I almost left mine alone after I prepped them the brush/clean works soo good.

nine8civicSi
01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
^^ what u mean by brake clean? like on the caliper itslef?

also where can i get the folia tec stuff?

buh_buh
01-22-2004, 02:29 PM
You can get the Folia Tec stuff at Tunerworks.
The Folia Tec stuff comes with a brush and brake cleaner too.

nine8civicSi
01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
You can get the Folia Tec stuff at Tunerworks.
The Folia Tec stuff comes with a brush and brake cleaner too.

Khyron
01-22-2004, 02:37 PM
http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/chimera-brocks6.jpg

I'm happy with the Foliatec kit. As mentioned, divide all the stuff in half before you mix.

If you want to go cheaper, high temp barbeque paint works as well. Just mask everything really well.

Khyron

3g4me
01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Barbeqe paint? Like for cooking? Sorry ive never heard of this, whats it for?:dunno:

djfob
01-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
Barbeqe paint? Like for cooking? Sorry ive never heard of this, whats it for?:dunno:

Comes in a spray can that withstands high heat. Can be bought at wal mart but forgot how much.

Khyron
01-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me

For painting Barbeques.

Khyron

maximus
01-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by nine8civicSi
^^ what u mean by brake clean? like on the caliper itslef?

also where can i get the folia tec stuff?

Ya if you don't go with the foliatech kit and decide to spray pick up some brake clean spray can at any parts store. Works awesome on the caliper if you also use a wire brush and it evaporates so no wiping.
:thumbsup:

CLiVE
01-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Ford engine enamel works well also. High heat engine paint. Can be bought at Canadian tire for a few bucks.

Comes in a dizzying array of colours.....

ZorroAMG
01-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Foliatech @ Tunerworks.
http://www.nemonis.net/Ghanime/Caliper.JPG