PDA

View Full Version : Buying a high mileage vehicle

schurchill39
09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on buying a newer vehicle (2007 +) with more than 150,000km on it.

The reason I ask is because I am looking at buying a newer truck and there are lots of 2008\2009 with 170-220km on it.

I've always been a stickler on the km's of a vehicle and usually wont settle for anything with over 80,000km on it but now I'm not so sure what to think.

Thoughts?

corsvette
09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I would still rather buy a higher mileage highway driven vehicle than a low miler that never left the city, find out where he drove it mostly. All in all cars and trucks last alot longer and 200 plus km is really nothing at all if its been maintained properly.

schurchill39
09-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I work for a larger oil service company and I am very familiar with the maintenance schedule on the trucks so that is a bit comforting but I'm still not sure about the fact that they have 280+km

ReasonOne
09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't be all that concerned about buying a higher mileage vehicle PROVIDED the seller has enough paperwork to establish a solid history of regular maintenance.

Paperwork matters because it helps a potential buyer work out how much money they may need to pour into it if they buy it. It also provides an idea as to the cost of a vehicle's long-term maintenance.

I've seen vehicles with 500,000+ kms accompanied with a complete service history in a huge binder that I would happily buy over a low mileage "cream puff" with no records.

For me if there's no paperwork to prove that a vehicle is being regularly maintained, then the price has to drop to offset what it will need to ensure long-term reliability.

Just my two cents.

muse017
09-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by ReasonOne
I wouldn't be all that concerned about buying a higher mileage vehicle PROVIDED the seller has enough paperwork to establish a solid history of regular maintenance.

Paperwork matters because it helps a potential buyer work out how much money they may need to pour into it if they buy it. It also provides an idea as to the cost of a vehicle's long-term maintenance.

I've seen vehicles with 500,000+ kms accompanied with a complete service history in a huge binder that I would happily buy over a low mileage "cream puff" with no records.

For me if there's no paperwork to prove that a vehicle is being regularly maintained, then the price has to drop to offset what it will need to ensure long-term reliability.

Just my two cents.

This

My old man's 2009 Sequia right now has about 200k(bought new), and it's been dealer serviced since day 1 and never missed a single schedule. Just did major service done(2~3,000) about a month ago and it still runs like a new on highway. Interior still looks new since he's the only one drive it(no passengers btw).
If I am a buyer looking for Sequia? I'd definitely buy one with all the service records.