PDA

View Full Version : Get free laptop with Optik TV

Kloubek
09-05-2011, 08:58 AM
So we were in Chinook yesterday, and there was a large Telus display close to the theater side. I went there wanting answers to a cell phone question, but left with a decision to make.

What I was offered was virtually the same entertainment package (Medium combo with all the regular channels.... but no extra movie channels, etc) as I currently get with Shaw, along with internet and home phone. But then, there are extras:
Free Centre Ice for a year (and many know what a Canucks fan I am)
Free G6 HP Laptop - worth $500-600
Free rental of a PVR and regular box. (We have 3 TVs we want outfitted, so I'd have to pay $5/month for a third. We currently only have regular boxes with Shaw, so PVR might be nice)
4 cents/minute long distance (will work out to about $5/month with how much we call)
Free installation
Free sports themed channels for 6 months
Free Superchannel for 3 months

All this for $105/month for the first 6 months, and $136 for the 2.5 years following. (Contract-based) $136 is about what I pay with Shaw right now anyway.

Plus since it is a contract, they cannot raise rates during that time like Shaw did recently to me.

Any reason I should *not* for go for this? Is Telus internet on par with Shaw now, or are there outages still?

Edit: Just found a thead (should have looked before) about Optik. Seems people are pretty happy with it. I really don't see why I shouldn't take this deal.

Anyone want a brand new $600 laptop for $500? We don't really need it.... :)

HuMz
09-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I've had optik for a year now (signed the contract for the xbox) and the internet has yet to go out or cause me problems.

I like the setup and recording options for anywhere else in the house better than Shaw. Although the PVR can be a little picky sometimes. For example, ill turn it on to try and view my recordings and it won't show any until I wait a few minutes or restart the PVR. Outside of that though and I'm happy I made the switch from Shaw.

cde1966
09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Telus beats Shaw hands down now! I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. However I did get my laptop and it didn't work. I called the number, they e-mailed me a lable (postage paid), sent the laptop back last Thursday. Got an e-mail today saying they've sent my new one... So the service is great, too bad the laptop didn't work.
Otherwise the internet speeds I'm getting are double what I was getting from Shaw, and the TV is awesome! Watching a show on one TV, pausing it and going to another TV to pick up where you left off is the best, or to put it another way; watching TV, pausing it while the wife yaps, then resuming it when she's done seems to make her very happy. I just stopped everything for two minutes to listen to her and BAM! I'm out of the dog house...
I don't have the telus phone, but my friends tell me that the caller ID comes up on the TV! I don't have a Telus phone, but they did give me a phone number to the house? so maybe I get a phone? We'll see...

Tik-Tok
09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I really don't see why I shouldn't take this deal.

This is just a personal choice, but I don't like 3 year contracts... wayyyy too long for me.

See how much it will cost you to cancel the contract early, before diving in. If you end up not liking the service, or shaw turns around and has even better options for cheaper a year from now, you might want to change.

Cos
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=337208&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Big thread on Optik, i have a few posts in there and a couple in the Fuck you Shaw thread. I dont really like 3 year contracts but I am considering getting the 3 year just because of the laptop. The biggest reason why I am thinking on going 3 years is also to save the $15.00 a month that I am saving on the PVR. Free laptop + $15.00 a month less? That isnt too bad actually.

If I dont switch for 3 years and dont sign a contract, that is $1090 I dont save ($15x36, $500 laptop, $50.00 off xbox connect).

Anyone actually SEE the laptop? Is it okay?

Originally posted by Kloubek

Plus since it is a contract, they cannot raise rates during that time like Shaw did recently to me.

Are you sure about that? I thought the contract was susceptible to whatever plan changes they make.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

This is just a personal choice, but I don't like 3 year contracts... wayyyy too long for me.

See how much it will cost you to cancel the contract early, before diving in. If you end up not liking the service, or shaw turns around and has even better options for cheaper a year from now, you might want to change.

So my understanding is that you can change your services at any time with telus while you are on the contract. It is a service agreement. You agree to have them serve you for 3 years. What I want clarified is what Kloubek was talking about, that they cannot modify your service. I was under the impression if they change the plans you have to figure out what you want. If that isnt the case that is amazing!

Also when I worked out canceling it worked out to $10.00 a month for TV (PVR rental is more than that anyways, $15.00) and $10.00 for the internet (laptop). So it should work out to $25.00 a month.

Type_S1
09-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Telus can still raise prices even though it is a contract...don't be fooled. Look at their cellphones they can raise prices whenever the hell they want lol.

I heard Optik is great though and the offer seems good. I would call shaw and tell them you are leaving and the reasons why before you call telus again...they will do things to keep you...call telus and I am sure they will give you a better deal as well then originally quoted as well.

dirtsniffer
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
just fyi i have a motorola pvr and a motorola hd unit, and they communicate with each other, ie record something in the living room and watch it in the bedroom

Kloubek
09-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Strange that you guys are saying that they can raise prices. They have never done so in my decade of having a cell phone, and the guy there told me they couldn't with the Optik contract. Who knows if that is true though... I've been told some pretty grand things for someone to make a sale.

Yes, being tied down for 3 years is a bit of a pisser, but it isn't like I'm going to decide to stop having entertainment services - so as long as it is a good service (which it appears it is), it doesn't really worry me.

Cos: The laptop is sold elsewhere... just look for the HP G6. It is hardly a gaming computer, but looks quite adequate for basic use.