PDA

View Full Version : suspension pillowball top mounts

2000impreza
01-22-2004, 01:49 PM
wondering if anyone has experience running pillowball top mounts on coilovers for street driving? i'm thinking about getting a set to finish off my suspension setup but i heard they create a lot more road noise and vibrations. i don't track my car very often so curious to know if its a worthy investment.

schlong8
01-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Hey R,
i'm most likely doing the same for my current suspension set up as i need to dial in the alignment for autoX days etc. As for the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) u will get a definate increase with the top mounts, usually because they'll contain less rubber in the design that won't act as an absorber.

i'm currently looking at Noltec or MRT adjustable camber/castor plates. STI mounts are a good choice as they are a little stiffer, but will not be that much an improvement over stock in terms of adjusting alignment.

what setup do u have right now and what are u thinking of getting?'

c

bmeier
01-23-2004, 03:17 AM
If you like comfort and low noise then dont do it.

Most pillowball mounts use no rubber insulators, which A increase noise vibration and stiffness. And B can actually crack your strut housing. Unless you plan on tracking your car regularly i would say save your money

2000impreza
01-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by schlong8
Hey R,
i'm most likely doing the same for my current suspension set up as i need to dial in the alignment for autoX days etc. As for the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) u will get a definate increase with the top mounts, usually because they'll contain less rubber in the design that won't act as an absorber.

i'm currently looking at Noltec or MRT adjustable camber/castor plates. STI mounts are a good choice as they are a little stiffer, but will not be that much an improvement over stock in terms of adjusting alignment.

what setup do u have right now and what are u thinking of getting?'

c

chris, recently picked up a set of coilovers. probably won't be installing them till sometime in the spring.

i've looked into the noltec and mrt top strut mounts. i think the mrt ones are made by dms. tein makes decent ones too. the sti units are just marginally stiffer material so not really worth it. i guess some extra noise/harshness is expected but i don't want a extremely rough ride because this is my daily driver. from what i've read most of these top mounts are made for hight ajustable suspension. running on struts/spring setup like yours might raise the ridehight of the car a bit.

schlong8
01-23-2004, 09:03 PM
What brand of coilovers were u able to pick up?

Did u find any places where i could pick up some MRT plates? The one place that i know have Noltec's are Oakes Automotive in the states. I might buy some spine lug nuts from them too.

The slight rise in ride height is fine w/ me since the car is so low already!:D

c

2000impreza
01-24-2004, 08:16 PM
picked up a set of apex coilovers. haven't looked too much into sources for mrt plates. any of the dealers on the mrt site can probably get them. if i do go with plates it will probably be noltec's. its best bang for buck and offer a wide range of ajustability. i looked into cusco ones too. they are a bit more expensive with similar features.

if your after maximum ajustability you should look into the pde front plates and match it to noltec rear ones. its a bit hardcore for me tho :rofl: here's the link: http://www.pde-usa.com/SUBARU%20PRODUCTS%20WRX%20CAMBER%20-%20CASTER%20ADJUSTERS.htm

schlong8
01-24-2004, 11:41 PM
Heh, i already checked out the PDE plates and the plates do not fit on our GC8's b/c our strut mounting bolts are clocked differently compared to the WRX. I checked w/ SpeedAbsolute who went to PDE.

Cusco ones were only camber adjustable (well, the only ones that i found). I haven't done much research on the MRT's so don't know how much they are but they probably aren't cheap. The Noltec's are probably my best bet too. Gotta decide if i wanna do Noltecs all the way around or just for the front's.

ttyl,
chris

CRXguy
01-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by schlong8

Did u find any places where i could pick up some MRT plates? The one place that i know have Noltec's are Oakes Automotive in the states. I might buy some spine lug nuts from them too.

c

I talked to them a while back. They don't ship outside of the U.S. anymore. :(