PDA

View Full Version : Best Front-wheel Drive Sports Cars for Cdn Winter?

TVChick
09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Hoping Beyond experts can help me out.. I'm looking for a new car; I want a 2-door sports car that's front wheel drive, so I can get through winter in YYC.
I currently drive an 03 Hyundai Tiburon and it's great. Sadly Hyundai's new sports coupe, the Genesis is RWD, or I'd get that. Looking to spend under 40k.
Thoughts? Advice? Expertise?
many thanks...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Just a question, why no RWD or AWD?

Darell_n
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Regardless of cost, FWD is the worst choice for winter driving, period. RWD with winter tires / weight over rear wheels or AWD are much, much safer.

TVChick
09-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Well.. this may be where I need the help.. I've always been told RWD is bad in the snow... I'm open to AWD too.. I just don't know any sports cars that have it. Educate me!

thanks!!!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
How about a new WRX? Under $40000, AWD, 265HP Turbo.

Kardon
09-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Regardless of cost, FWD is the worst choice for winter driving, period. RWD with winter tires / weight over rear wheels or AWD are much, much safer.

Most drivers will agree with you but the majority of the public that just relocate themselves through the use of vehicle MUCH prefer understeer to oversteer.

Hakkola
09-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Fwd sucks.
Wrong forum...
Genesis has bad build quality from what I've read, poor reliability so don't go that route regardless of fwd/rwd debate.

Kloubek
09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it OP.... RWD can be tricky because oversteer can be a bitch. But if you can handle that ok (if not, go into an empty mall parking lot and practice) then it should be fine. Tires are by far your biggest help. Driving style, and understanding the limitations of the car are pretty essential.

I would probably not get a turbo car unless you're fine with driving completely conservative. Once the turbo spools up, it changes the power dramatically and can cause the tires to break loose if you aren't careful.

But overall, I would not be concerned about RWD. In fact, I prefer it. Keep in mind that in the 70's and earlier, *every* car was RWD... and people got around just fine.

Now, with all this said, obviously AWD would be your best choice entirely. You really should state the kind of price range you're looking for - since that is pretty important to what people might suggest. In the 20k range, I would suggest an S4 or STI. In the 10k range maybe a TT or WRX. 5-6k range maybe a Stealth or Talon.

schocker
09-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
How about a new WRX? Under $40000, AWD, 265HP Turbo.
:werd:
I have been looking into them and for the money, they are a great car.

TVChick
09-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, if the consensus is RWD handles just fine on wintry YYC streets (would love more feedback pls..I've never driven a RWD), then I can learn how to operate one well too. And that opens up a whole new world of sportscar possibilities.. Nissan 370Z...?

syritis
09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
having driven my RX7 for a couple winters (with studded winters) you will notice that your total traction is lower, due to RWD cars are neutrally balanced compared to FWD that have a heavy bias to the front.

as for predictability and control RWD is far greater for winter. I'd opt for manual transmission, it easier to feel and manipulate the rear tires especially on very low traction surfaces as opposed to automatic that would just break the tires loose once the rpm engages the toque converter.

Sasuke_Kensai
09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
What? Did the consensus suddenly change from FWD -> RWD being better in winter????

Mind you, I haven't driven a RWD car - I just swear the RWD champions used to be in the minority, now everyone seems to be pushing for RWD.

gpomp
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
What? Did the consensus suddenly change from FWD -> RWD being better in winter????

Mind you, I haven't driven a RWD car - I just swear the RWD champions used to be in the minority, now everyone seems to be pushing for RWD. welcome to beyond

Kloubek
09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
It all depends on the driver. Myself, and many on here, could probably fare better with a RWD because we know how to drive them. If you can predict and control rear end slide, it can actually be easier. With a FWD you don't get that slide and possible total spin-out, but you get front-end plow... which is almost impossible to control for *any* driver.

OP: You are new to RWD driving, so I would be careful about getting one. And if you do, make sure you practice like I said before - since it handles entirely differently on ice/snow. But like driving a standard, once you get the hang of it, it generally provides you with more control.

One more thing people have not mentioned is getting stuck in snow banks. I've found FWD can get you out of such situations easier, since RWD tends to use some of your power to move the rear end sideways. This may or may not be an issue for you and where you park at home/work, but it is something to consider.

Benny
09-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Mind you, I haven't driven a RWD car - I just swear the RWD champions used to be in the minority, now everyone seems to be pushing for RWD.

It's not that they're better, just the consensus of most of the car enthusiasts here is that a RWD car is easier to control if you happen to start sliding. FWD just steers you straight at whatever you're sliding towards and no matter of counter-steering or application of throttle can change that.

In my opinion for winter, FWD is easy to hook up from a dead stop because of the weight over the drive wheels. AWD is controllable and fun, probably the best in winter. RWD is also fun and controllable but can be a pain in the ass to get going on because there's no weight on the drive wheels and without proper tires and significant skill it's easy to just spin. That's the thing though, with proper tires and skill any configuration is drivable. I'm tempted to drive my Mustang through winter but she's too pretty so I think I'm going to pick up some beater 4x4 SUV :thumbsup:

Aleks
09-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
welcome to beyond

No doubt.

Girl asks what FWD car to get and all she gets is get the RWD instead.

90% of population will hate driving a RWD in snow and ice regardless of how great the snow tires are period.

OP, some FWD cars to look into that are fun: VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Mazda 3, Mazdaspeed3, Ford Focus. A new WRX would be an AWD option that's under 35k new. Mitsubishi Ralliart would be a bit more but still under your $40k limit.

bart
09-05-2011, 03:46 PM

unless you are japanese driftmaster, fwd is better for people who don't know what drift means

Sentry
09-05-2011, 03:50 PM
By definition, there is no such thing as a FWD sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car. A Civic Si is not.

max_boost
09-05-2011, 03:51 PM
VW GTI. Awesome car.

ddduke
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM

You may be right but I would much sooner put my old lady in a fwd then a rwd. Most drivers can't handle rwd vehicles in the winter.

A3GTiVR6SC
09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
By definition, there is no such thing as a FWD sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car. A Civic Si is not.

:clap: :clap:

Props to you sir! Especially since you have a fwd honda which is faster than the average...

Sentry
09-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I just hate seeing stuff like this listed in kijiji as "sports cars".

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Toyota-Celica-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ310535241

RickDaTuner
09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Hey TVchick

I think in your situation, you are a looking for something with a little pep, looks great and isn't to much of a dog in winter to get around in.

With those factors, I believe that an AWD car would be your best bet.
Do you like to camp, or need lots of space to haul things around?
I like the Subaru Impreza WRX, as it is a great performer, looks OK, and handles fantastically well in the winter, but consider also a Subaru Forester, they have the same AWD drive-train as the WRX, but also include huge space in the rear to do life's adventurous stuff

FWD is a safe choice, there is also less head ache when it comes to maintenance and operating costs, but if you want to venture over to performance driving aspects of owning a car, FWD will leave you short handed. Technology has come a long way, and there have been vast improvements in the geometry of FWD car, but they always leave much to be desired

RWD as other are mentioning can give you a great deal of joy through the driving experience, but its much like learning to play an instrument, as it takes time to develop the skills and feel to make the most of its setup.

So here is a quick run down of some cars that you may be interested in for each catagory

FWD

Honda Civic SI
VW Golf GTI
Honda Accord
BMW Mini
Scion Tc
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan Altima

RWD (most ones are over 40K)

Nissan 370 Z
Mazda Miata

AWD

Subaru Impreza WRX
Subaru Forester XT
Ford Taurus
Ford Fusion

There are way, way more. These are just the ones off the top of my head.

Abeo
09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Alright, I'm going to put something based on fact rather than opinion:

Generally, RWD will reach a speed where it is dynamically unstable, where no matter what steering input is entered (ie zero steering input), the car will increase its yaw rate (ie spin out). The factors going into this include surface traction, weight distribution and roll resistance spring rate.

FWD will reach a state where you get zero return for a given steering input, known as push or understeer. With understeer, you have to reduce your steering and brake or throttle inputs to regain traction.

Either of the two above are caused by driving too fast for the conditions.

Car manufacturers have been designing understeer into all cars since the 60's, but it is still possible to get yourself into an oversteer situation in any car (much much harder to do in a fwd, though). The surface also dictates a role in this; my truck has understeer in snow up to around 70 km/h, but on ice will oversteer while trying to maintain a speed of 50 km/h. It's easy to know when you are on snow, but its tough to tell when there is black ice.

One item to note, cars with stability control can detect a spin before you can, and can actually correct a spin before it starts. A RWD car with stability control may be good enough, but as someone else mentioned, you won't have the engine sitting over the drive wheels and won't have the forward traction of a FWD car.

RWD may be "more fun" in winter (completely subjective), but it does not offer more control and is not safer than FWD.

Sentry
09-05-2011, 04:40 PM
If weight distribution is the issue here, get a 911. :D

Shit, you can even get them AWD.

Wonder what a 996 Carrera 4s goes for these days.

Sentry
09-05-2011, 04:42 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ309120264

There ya go.

And a 911 most certainly IS a sports car. :)

gyu
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
By definition how do you guys define a sports car? Not trying to argue that I think my car is one because I don't think it is but just curious.

I'm guessing OP just wants a fun car to drive.
I'd definitely recommend a Civic Si and a GTI. They're both good on gas, the throttle response on the GTI is good and has a nice interior, Civic Si handles well and requires little maintenance. With good winter tires, I found the Civic Si handled winter driving very well (I have Michelin x-ice xi2 without studs). The Civic also has Vehicle Stability Assist which helps you regain control of the car when it detects your car slipping, also helpful in the winter.
I haven't driven the WRX before but that seems like a good choice since it's AWD and has 265hp.

Btw Nissan Altima is fwd, just thought I'd correct the person above in case OP is convinced to only look at RWD and AWD

Edit: here's a video on how Vehicle Stability Assist is supposed to work:
http://youtu.be/DBjHOiiMqKc
http://youtu.be/DBjHOiiMqKc

Sentry
09-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Corvette
Viper
RX7
Supra
MGB
Miata
Triumph TR7
etc.

Cars that place a priority on performance, instead of comprimising performance for economy or practicality.

They don't have to be FAST, the last 3 certainly aren't, but they emphasize performance over practicality. Or in the case of the MGB and TR7, reliability. :)

A3GTiVR6SC
09-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by gyu
By definition how do you guys define a sports car? Not trying to argue that I think my car is one because I don't think it is but just curious.

2dr w/ RWD or AWD. No exceptions.

Mid-engine RWD is the true definition IMO.

But as for OP, If they insist it must be FWD... GTi, CooperS, Mazdaspeed3, Cobalt SS to name just a few...

bigbadboss101
09-05-2011, 05:08 PM
People who have owned RWD and know how the car handle in the winter would say RWD is better than FWD. I have owned various FWD (Acura TL, Integra type R, Celica, Prelude) and have no problem in winter. Had lot of problem with my CTS-V even with WinterSport tires and 100 lbs of sandbags in trunk.

Subies are nice. Generally almost never get stuck. FWD dont really get stuck either when you have the proper tires. For the general public I would say stick with FWD, or AWD.

trieuth
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
X-Drive bmw, pick up a used one.

bituerbo
09-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Subaru SVX.

duaner
09-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
With a FWD you don't get that slide and possible total spin-out, but you get front-end plow... which is almost impossible to control for *any* driver.
It's called a handbrake, and it has helped me out more than once. But most of the time this comes down to Abeo's comment that one is driving too fast for the conditions.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
so here is a quick run down of some cars that you may be interested in for each catagory

FWD

Honda Civic SI
VW Golf GTI
Honda Accord
BMW Mini
Honda Accord
Scion Tc
Mitsubishi Eclipse

RWD (most ones are over 40K)

Nissan 370 Z
Nissan Altima

AWD

Subaru Impreza WRX
Subaru Forester XT
Ford Taurus
Ford Fusion

There are way, way more. These are just the ones off the top of my head.
Correction: Altima is FWD. (Just saw that this was corrected already).

Originally posted by Abeo
Generally, RWD will reach a speed where it is dynamically unstable, where no matter what steering input is entered (ie zero steering input), the car will increase its yaw rate (ie spin out). The factors going into this include surface traction, weight distribution and roll resistance spring rate.

FWD will reach a state where you get zero return for a given steering input, known as push or understeer. With understeer, you have to reduce your steering and brake or throttle inputs to regain traction.

Either of the two above are caused by driving too fast for the conditions.
Best thing said so far.

bourge73
09-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Surprised you havent offered her your car yet? :dunno:

wintonyk
09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC

2dr w/ RWD or AWD. No exceptions.

Mid-engine RWD is the true definition IMO.

But as for OP, If they insist it must be FWD... GTi, CooperS, Mazdaspeed3, Cobalt SS to name just a few...

an MR can be a sports car for sure. But does anyone really want to handle one of these in the winter. You get in a slide and they are terrible to handle. Power oversteer on ice haha

A3GTiVR6SC
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I was just answering gyu. I can imagine how shitty an MR2 can be in winter. lol

Toyota Racing
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Just by a van get tires from Pick n Pull and ur set in the winter vans are heavy so unless your tires are bald they should be fine...

Benny
09-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Toyota Racing
Just by a van get tires from Pick n Pull and ur set in the winter vans are heavy so unless your tires are bald they should be fine...

Sports Cars

"Buy a van" :facepalm:

Tik-Tok
09-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

No doubt.

Girl asks what FWD car to get and all she gets is get the RWD instead.

Every thread started, asking about what kind of car to buy, always ends up reminding me of that xtranormal video

WWnAdB-vkXo

Benny
09-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Well, in fairness she did say that she needs help with her decision and to "Educate" her on what might be best. Though I agree with you that most "Which car should I buy?" threads on here are a big fanboy argument.

Originally posted by TVChick
Well.. this may be where I need the help.. I've always been told RWD is bad in the snow... I'm open to AWD too.. I just don't know any sports cars that have it. Educate me!

thanks!!!

Cooked Rice
09-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Well Sentra Spec V's had the option of a LSD for starters... If I went back to a FWD vehicle I'd want something with a LSD. But honestly a good set of winter tires will get you through the most of winter here, other than the days we get dumped on, although there's always exceptions.

Idiot Stick
09-06-2011, 05:05 AM
I drive a 7th gen (00-05) Celica GT-S for winter. With a good set of winter tires, it is fine. And I don't just drive from my house to my office...I travel all over new brunswick and PEI for work, and can't stop for snow storms.

EDIT: Not saying its a sports car. But its a FWD nice looking car.

Its not so much the car (Well unless its a pinto or something), but the tires and the driver. I can buy a 2011 BMW x-drive and still crash the damn thing if I am not cautious and take the conditions into consideration, or if I am still rockin' summer tires.

Get whatever FWD car you like to drive, and a ballin set of winter tires, and take it easy when the white stuff falls.

ercchry
09-06-2011, 08:15 AM
mustang GT would be my pick for a sports car under $40k! the days when we actually have snow coverage are few and far between, good winter tires paired with a manual transmission + the standard traction and stability control and it will be cake to drive in the winter. nothing comes close to the mustang for the price. hell even the v6 is a great car and you can pick one up for under $25k all in! save your money, and still be faster than most cars on the road

V6-BoI
09-06-2011, 08:18 AM
For AWD I would suggest a Ralliart Lancer. I think they are a pretty good bang for the buck.

As far as FWD goes even though it's not a sports car, I suggest a Civic Si. My brother has one and I think they are pretty fun to drive.

Sugarphreak
09-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Disoblige
09-06-2011, 09:43 AM
271 HP Accord.

turbotrip
09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
LOL @ the sudden attack of RWD in this thread.
please dont listen to the people saying RWD is better in the winter; most people will have troubles/wont enjoy it, it just so happens that the minority that can drive/enjoy it happen to be on beyond

Mitsu3000gt
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Why not buy a Infinity G35? Best bang for the buck sports sedan (top 3 at least), and they are nearly impossible to fishtail with their stability control systems. RWD or AWD options. Buy a 1-2 year old one and it will be well under $40k.

TVChick
09-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone for taking so much time and interest in my question. This gives me lots to think about--and I definitely appreciate the suggestions.

CapnCrunch
09-06-2011, 12:01 PM

This place is full of idiots. A FWD car with winters will destroy a RWD with winters.

ercchry
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

This place is full of idiots. A FWD car with winters will destroy a RWD with winters.

stop generalizing. a modern rwd luxury car will DESTROY a basic fwd car in all conditions, period.

jsn
09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Honestly, judging by your post it sounds like you've never driven RWD. Just stick to a FWD or preferably AWD. Yes you can get by with RWD just fine, but if you've never driven one, FWD and AWD is probably easier if your main concern is winter safety.

z06power
09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Depends on how you drive, Calgary gets a fair amount of snow so not sure how much performance driving you will do. AWD is awesome in the winter and a FWD car with moderate power/torque should be fine. Above all get winter tires regardless of platform, they make a huge difference in traction and grip.

max_boost
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM

And AWD car with winters will destroy both FWD and RWD!

What are we talking about again? :rofl:

Tik-Tok
09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

What are we talking about again? :rofl:

Obviously we're bragging to a girl, all about how awesome we are at winter driving with RWD cars, derrr.

Originally posted by ercchry

stop generalizing. a modern rwd luxury car will DESTROY a basic fwd car in all conditions, period.

Not really. Luxury RWD = 3800lbs+ (typically)
Basic FWD = 2800lbs+

Both with snow/ice tires, same driver, I'd put money on the FWD for normal Calgary post-storm, improperly plowed roads, or evening freeze-up after a chinook.

Ukyo8
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM

My rusty old 240sx with winter tires and 2 way diff was way better in winter than my RSX with winters :dunno:

Abeo
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8

My rusty old 240sx with winter tires and 2 way diff was way better in winter than my RSX with winters :dunno:

My A2 jetta with winters was way better than my 240sx with winters and VLSD :dunno:

Best winter car I ever owned was a 3400 lb fwd beast. It only got stuck when it ran out of ground clearance, and I never felt it would end up in a ditch.

jsn
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM

that's comparing two completely different things. If you're comparing a high end luxury rwd car with advanced traction control to very basic/cheap fwd car yea the rwd might handle better. If we're comparing two similarly optioned cars, the fwd would probably be easier to drive for the AVERAGE driver. Not everyone is a "mad tyte" drifter.

Put it this way, if I let my mom drive a powerful RWD car, I'm fairly sure she would get in an accident. She doesn't even know what the word countersteer means.

Toilet_D
09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
you guys are so fuckin' retarded. i took the front tire of my gsxr, chained the rear, and kicked the ever loving shit out of any awd, fwd, or rwd.
that, and since i was wheelie'ing everywhere, i looked FABULOUS riding it in the winter. 1wd for the win, losa's.

CapnCrunch
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM

READ the original post, then respond.

msommers
09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Every thread started, asking about what kind of car to buy, always ends up reminding me of that xtranormal video

WWnAdB-vkXo

Holy hell that video is awesome!

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Why not buy a Infinity G35? Best bang for the buck sports sedan (top 3 at least), and they are nearly impossible to fishtail with their stability control systems. RWD or AWD options. Buy a 1-2 year old one and it will be well under $40k.

Their stability control is annoying as fuck in the winter and you end up turning it off. The car isn't terrible with winters and a bit of weight but I've driven RWD for awhile now. Even still, with some streets not plowed it gets stuck if stopped. I remember I got stuck in my alley a couple times. I would never recommend that kind of car to anyone just learning RWD. Not lashing out Mark, even though it might sound like it :) I just drove mine last winter and it was frustrating at times and I would wager I have an edge over her in terms of RWD experience.

Get a Subaru WRX. Be happy and safe. Seriously.

ercchry
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jsn

that's comparing two completely different things. If you're comparing a high end luxury rwd car with advanced traction control to very basic/cheap fwd car yea the rwd might handle better. If we're comparing two similarly optioned cars, the fwd would probably be easier to drive for the AVERAGE driver. Not everyone is a "mad tyte" drifter.

Put it this way, if I let my mom drive a powerful RWD car, I'm fairly sure she would get in an accident. She doesn't even know what the word countersteer means.

hey, you generalized. not me, im just giving an example of when rwd>fwd in the snow

READ the original post, then respond.

FOLLOW the thread... this was obviously not in response to the original topic

:facepalm:

dimi
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I DDed my S2000 for 3 winters. There wasn't a day that I wouldn't take my FWD Huyndai over it. In my books FWD is much easier, safer, and less stressful to drive in the winter. In my S2000 I would be constantly on edge and ready to countersteer when the rear lost traction. It was ridiculous. Yes it can be done, but its just not worth it IMO.

You guys make it seem like when a FWD loses traction you are gonna understeer into a curb, while if its RWD, somehow you'll come up with enough traction to drift out of it. :rofl:

I would recommend a WRX/Ralliart.

Chantastic
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Both are fine, really. To be honest though, I've gotten so used to my 240 with winters and no abs/traction control that I'm a bit worried about taking an automatic Corolla out this winter, mainly because I won't be too familiar with it...but give it time and I'm sure I'll be fine, just like you should be in most cars.

It's all about tires and wits. If you don't have one, you better have the other.

asp integra
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
fwd is better in snow than rwd any day

i had a 2000 gti, it was very low, over 200 whp and with winter tires and it was amazing, and i drive to the mountains a few times a week

after having that i had a 2001 audi s4 with quattro which was amazing in the winter, and then i sold that to get my vw r32 with awd as well.

i would suggest awd, it performs amazingly in the summer and you will not get any better performance in the winter anywhere else.

if anything though, go fwd over rwd

artieg30
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
anybody have experience with the BMW 335i sedans? not to hi-jack the thread but what do you guys think of the FR 335i sedan for winters? I heard the DTC is amazing so the car actually behaves fairly well in the winter with winter tires, can anyone confirm this?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by artieg30
anybody have experience with the BMW 335i sedans? not to hi-jack the thread but what do you guys think of the FR 335i sedan for winters? I heard the DTC is amazing so the car actually behaves fairly well in the winter with winter tires, can anyone confirm this?

Have experience with a 135i and a E90 325i, both were very good in winter with winter tires, limited by ground clearance when the snows deeper and theres ice chunks.

Toyota Racing
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Sports Cars

"Buy a van" :facepalm:

Well... I don't really think a sports car should be used in the winter....

gpomp
09-07-2011, 12:23 AM
911, make sure to get the rwd version

BananaFob
09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
911, make sure to get the rwd version

Make sure it's from the 70's and to off gas while turning too, especially in snow.

max_boost
09-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Obviously we're bragging to a girl, all about how awesome we are at winter driving with RWD cars, derrr.

Not really. Luxury RWD = 3800lbs+ (typically)
Basic FWD = 2800lbs+

Both with snow/ice tires, same driver, I'd put money on the FWD for normal Calgary post-storm, improperly plowed roads, or evening freeze-up after a chinook.

BTW, you don't need winter tires either, take some winter defensive driving course instead. Proper tires gives you a false sense of security. :nut: :dunno:

jsn
09-07-2011, 01:02 AM
As much as I love AWD, I find it gives people a false sense of security. When I find myself talking to people who aren't car-minded, they seem to think they're invincible in their awd cars. Yes you don't get stuck as often, but when you hit ice, awd won't help you come to a stop any better than a RWD or FWD car.

Cooked Rice
09-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Screw it. Pack of huskies and a sled. Or a snowmobile. Take your pick.

mucat
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
The opinions are divided in the middle between FWD and RWD. Obviously, we require more information from the driver, import or domestic? how much hp looking for? 2 dr or 4 dr? hatchback? Picture of yourself?

HiTempguy1
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM

No, it really won't. If someone knows how to handle a fwd car, in bad conditions the fwd car will always be best.

Look at rallying and the revolution that was fwd vehicles when they became readily available in the 80's. FWD is, HANDS DOWN, better for bad weather driving conditions, no questions asked. Of course, you need to have the proper car control at your disposal so you don't just understeer into a ditch or curb, but that is up to the owner. In fact, most of this (which car is best) argument is completely useless, as 90% of the winter driving issue is with the capabilities of the driver.

Also, a RWD car with some sort of locking type of differential is not comparable to an open diff FWD car. 1wd is 1wd, on either end of a car.

So to the OP: if you can possibly find a FWD car with some sort of LSD (even a viscous one like the Sentra), it helps a lot. Of course, beyond your capabilities as a driver, the best tires will be the next thing you should spend your money on. The car is the third, lesser part of this equation. Driver and tires trump all.

ercchry
09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

No, it really won't. If someone knows how to handle a fwd car, in bad conditions the fwd car will always be best.
Also, a RWD car with some sort of locking type of differential is not comparable to an open diff FWD car. 1wd is 1wd, on either end of a car.

:rofl:

you just contradicted yourself.... a BASIC FWD car is going to be open diff no traction control, no stability... basic as in bare bones. the modern luxury RWD is going to have every single driver assist ever created... you missed the point of that post completely and comparing rally cars from the 80s is the stupidest argument yet :nut:

HiTempguy1
09-07-2011, 04:38 PM

comparing rally cars from the 80s is the stupidest argument yet :nut:

Um, I said the revolution that was. Fast forward to today, rwd rally cars are virtually non-existant, and for good reason as they are slow.

Traction is king in bad weather. Lots of luxury cars do not come with a limited slip type of device, even these days, so I disagree with you. They may come with a traction control device (edit- that mimics a lsd), but I also disagree with people thinking that stability control will save them in winter conditions, but that is their own opinion.

In fact, your counterargument is quite possibly the stupidest way to argue against mine :nut: Of course you are simply ignorant and probably only have your mad street cred to your name for your amazing driving skillz. It's ok, I won't hold it against you.

Chandler_Racing
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
People who argue a FWD car with narrow winter tires are worse than a RWD car with winters are crazy.

All things being equal (tire width, tread pattern, differential type, traction control, stability control, driver ability etc.) FWD is way better.

Naturally, a FWD car has the majority of their weight over the drives wheels - not to mention will typically have a less wide tire (think Civics, Intergas, etc).

It seems like the majority of people who disagree are drifters and 240SX owners. :rofl:

clem24
09-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
People who argue a FWD car with narrow winter tires are worse than a RWD car with winters are crazy.

All things being equal (tire width, tread pattern, differential type, traction control, stability control, driver ability etc.) FWD is way better.

Naturally, a FWD car has the majority of their weight over the drives wheels - not to mention will typically have a less wide tire (think Civics, Intergas, etc).

It seems like the majority of people who disagree are drifters and 240SX owners. :rofl:

+1

I think the majority of drivers just have no clue how to drive an FWD in the winter. If you're talking flogging and throwing the car around, FWD is actually easier and more controllable than RWD (which tends to spin if you're overzealous). As well for flogging, AWD systems like Subaru are probably the worst in terms of understeer. It's just too hard to predict what the car is going to do (i.e. which wheel(s) the car is going to send power to).

Why do you guys think there are so many FWD rally cars?..

If you're talking just general driving in the winter, AWD definitely cause of the increased traction on start up. But for flogging and drifting, a good FWD with great winter tires is really tough to beat... you can seriously do some crazy shit in a FWD car that you would never attempt in a RWD.

Redlined_8000
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Civic Si coupe

FWD - check
under 40,000 - check
Most sporty car from honda - check :(

haha

Ymerej472008
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I bomb around in my 4dr Si with winters and its nearly impossible to get stuck, you have to run out of clearance.
3000+ lbs, manual trans and LSD it works perfect.

Neil4Speed
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Scion TC? Well priced, I was impressed by that car.