PDA

View Full Version : TD Drivers Reward VISA

flipstah
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdvisa/drivers_rewards.jsp

Anybody has this card? Seems to be a very interesting concept and I think it's new because it's my first time seeing it.

You get 2% on gas for first $700 for each month, 1.25% on automotive services and parts and other purchase 1%.
No annual fee and you can redeem this points after $25 rebate on any car related purchase (vehicle and parts).

I'm thinking of switching my Emerald for this card.

J-hop
09-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Yea I have it, it is new because it used to be the VISA GM card until things went south. Before you could put the money towards buying or leasing a GM vehicle, I was up to 1800 when they dropped it.

Thanks for posting that link because honestly the letter they sent me when it changed didn't explain much and I had no clue what the benefits were until now.

However after hearing my friends experiences with other cards I am tempted to switch to a travel rewards type card, they seem to offer better benefits.

flipstah
09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Yea I have it, it is new because it used to be the VISA GM card until things went south. Before you could put the money towards buying or leasing a GM vehicle, I was up to 1800 when they dropped it.

Thanks for posting that link because honestly the letter they sent me when it changed didn't explain much and I had no clue what the benefits were until now.

However after hearing my friends experiences with other cards I am tempted to switch to a travel rewards type card, they seem to offer better benefits.

Travel rewards is a great thing to have! Highly recommend it!

I have an AMEX Blue Sky which is covering that need quite nicely. I wanted to switch it to a Gold charge card but why would you go for an annual fee when the Blue Sky is free?

This may cover my car fix as I am looking to get a new car in the future... Tempting. :drool:

Ven
09-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I had the TD GM card since I was 18, I'm now 37. At the time Macleans rated it as the best reward value card in Canada. I saved up over 3k and put that towards a new Z71 truck. I had saved up another $1900 when they decided to revamp the rewards structure that ended up totally crippling the program and saw my rewards money evaporate to below $400 because my usage rates didn't meet their guildlines. Macleans rated it the worst rewards card in Canada. Now they tanked it all together for a new rewards model, along with my remaining rewards that "converted" to a lesser value with this new Drivers Rewards card. I essentially stopped using the card altogether during the first restructure since I got totally burnt on it. I keep it only because it's a tangible credit link for almost 20 years without a single missed or late payment.

Starwood Travel Rewards just did the same thing to me after Mastercard told them fuck off. They used to be the best rated rewards card available from multiple sources and consumer reviews. Now I have an AMEX Starwood card that costs me $150 a year to use and pays worse rewards. Fortunately all my rewards transferred over the same and the wife and I enjoy Starwood properties. But I'm about done with reward cards, they change the game however and whenever they want, and no matter how slick the new propaganda is the consumer never really wins.

Don't get me started on Perto-Pass. My eleventybillion points now gets me a 6-pack of overpriced water, on the old program it was enough for 3 tanks of diesel.

Fuck rewards cards.

DJ_NAV
09-05-2011, 11:24 PM
^ You might be better off with the cards that straight up give you 1% cash back. Can't go wrong with cash!

Cooked Rice
09-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Tempting but I already have quite a few cards, which I stopped using all of except one. And I hear I should never just straight out cancel a CC? :dunno:

flipstah
09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Tempting but I already have quite a few cards, which I stopped using all of except one. And I hear I should never just straight out cancel a CC? :dunno:

If you cancel your oldest card, then it cuts off a part of your credit history, which MAY affect you in the long run.

That's why I'm still keeping my MBNA one. It's a good card though. SmartCash FTW.

Would you consider this card or a cashback/travel card instead?

Remember that the driving one has no annual fee (same as a cashback) but not the travel rewards card.

Sugarphreak
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Xtrema
09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

+1

Rewards cards always have the potential to be revamped and converted at the owners will wiping out any long term effort to build it up, there is nothing like cold hard cash.

Or something you can spend right the way.

My PC Mastercard just got upgraded and now I get 2% back on Superstore purchases instead 1%. Still 1% for everything else.