PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Looking for a Basement Developer

redevil
09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a trusted and experienced company that develops basements. I have a basement that needs to be fully developed approx. 420 sq ft. so not that large. But, I do not want to do the work myself and would like to find a decent company that will do great work and will stand behind their work and warranty it as well. I am looking to do a living room, bedroom and a full washroom (already roughed in).

Not looking for just a regular "Joe Blow-handyman" do everything contractor but rather a person/business that has experience and specializes in basement developments.

I have searched online, to see who does basement developments, but as we know there are a lot of contractors out there. Let me know who you or your friends have had experience with and what your thoughts and feedback with the job they did.

Oh, what would be the going rate per sq. ft. for a basement development now a days?

Thanks for your help and feedback!

:thumbsup:

msouther
09-06-2011, 09:18 PM
One company that I have seen finished product from is:

Calgary Renewals (http://calgaryrenewals.ca)

I have no affiliation with them and actually helped a buddy for a few days who owns a painting company. We painted a basement that he was general contractor for. Two houses that I saw were in West Hills ($800,000+) home and the other in Hidden Valley ($600,000+) home.

I would consider them in the quotation process when I develop the basement in my new house. If you do call, let me know what you think.

ragu
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Don't hire any guy who wouldn't do everything in writing. Don't deliver full payment before perfect completion of work! No matter how trusted the guy is, be careful!

triplep
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I got a flyer saying that Cardel does home reno's now... you might want to consider them.. NOT!!

Is there any specific reason as to why you don't want to do the reno's yourself? You could save some serious money by doing it yourself... or even partially doing it yourself. It might be a long shot, but couldn't you do the framing yourself? Maybe higher a trusted electrician/ plumber/ etc? I know its not a full on contractor, but at least that way, you know that the people are hopefully experienced in their specific trade, instead of having one guy do it all?

redevil
09-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by triplep
I got a flyer saying that Cardel does home reno's now... you might want to consider them.. NOT!!

Is there any specific reason as to why you don't want to do the reno's yourself? You could save some serious money by doing it yourself... or even partially doing it yourself. It might be a long shot, but couldn't you do the framing yourself? Maybe higher a trusted electrician/ plumber/ etc? I know its not a full on contractor, but at least that way, you know that the people are hopefully experienced in their specific trade, instead of having one guy do it all?

A 5 month old baby & time are the reasons why it is not worth it for me to do the renos myself. I would love to do most of the work but it is just not worth me missing out spending time with my baby girl. I thought of doing it stage by stage and hire out specific trades but once again that will take some time to coordinate and manage.

I'll be checking out the Calgary Home Show to see what home reno contrators are there.

90accord
09-08-2011, 08:52 PM
legacy kitchens does some good reno's for kitchen and full house! I am an electrician and do work for lots of guys but none of them i would reccomend for really good work other then them!

ExtraSlow
09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Renos has a great reputation. They also have a reputation for being expensive, but quality usually is. No idea if they are more expensive than other reputable folks.

redevil
10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
I am still searching for a basement developer. Have had a few quotes in around the $28K range for a basic basement around 420 sq. ft. Not sure if this is still a little high for such a small area :dunno: . So, I need to find other developers to get a few more quotes before deciding on one.

Keep the recommendations coming.

Thanks,

ecobuilder
11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Basic will start at $30/ sq. ft. and go up from there based on your specs for materials and design.

If you're still looking for a company, I'd be willing to take a look at it and give you some recommendations on materials, methods, and pricing.

redevil
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...there has been a change of plans and I have decided to sell the house instead.