PDA

View Full Version : Driving laws affect what car you will buy?

max_boost
09-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Serious question lol

Chatting with friends and my case is simple, slower car, you drive slower, period. Faster car, you drive faster. What's the point of having a faster car if you are never going to push it? No I'm not advocating always speeding so let's use good judgment here. There's a time and place for things. Owning a 400hp vehicle and getting it impounded for going 140kms on the highway? That's BC right? 40 over and it's game over? I don't know about you guys but I've driven 400hp cars and at 140, it feels like nothing.

I usually get a speeding ticket once every two years and it's usually the 30-40 over variety. I'm a fairly tame driver but I'll lay it down occasionally and I will only accelerate when I can see a clear road ahead, divided highway, cars in a far distance and only for short spurts. Yea I also do understand that going 40 over, I can lose control, flip my car, crash into a school bus full of kids and burn down a farm. Yes that could happen. :nut:

I drive a lot, 40k in the past year so losing my license is not an option. Getting fined and demerits, that's OK haha

Anyone else in my line of thinking? I'm looking for a 3rd car and I'm strongly considering a 140hp Subaru Impreza, 0-60 in 9.8 seconds, perfect.

hurrdurr
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
That's why you have an NSX, it only looks fast :devil:

Sugarphreak
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM

max_boost
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
My GTI feels faster than the NSX. :rofl: :burnout:

heavyD
09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I hate city supplemental taxes as much as anyone but it will be a cold day in hell before I let those greedy scumbags determine what car I can drive. Every car has to be faster than the last for me.:thumbsup:

Kennyredline
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe one day, the laws will dictate HOW people drive what they have as opposed to WHAT they drive.

max_boost
09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
My friends say I'm going to get bored and frustrated with a slow car and will kick myself. I'm just putting myself in a position where I'll resist the urge to speed. Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I got a ticket for anything else other than speeding. :rofl:

Tomaz
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I would agree to a certain extent. I would be happiest in a practical daily driver that feels peppy. I would kill myself if I was driving a Fiat 500, Hyundai Accent, Smart car, or similar. One the flip side, I don't want to be pulled over and arrested every time I find an excuse to go on the "Stoneyburgring". I need balance.

I am interested in mid-sized vehicles, usually between 200HP and 250HP, loaded to the nines, and look cool. Examples would be WRX, Ralliart, Edge, A3, and similar. I find that I can put up with less power as long as I have all the options and some good styling. It keeps me out of trouble, and the bank likes the fuel savings!

benyl
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I hate city supplemental taxes as much as anyone but it will be a cold day in hell before I let those greedy scumbags determine what car I can drive. Every car has to be faster than the last for me.:thumbsup:
:werd:

The problem is that I am at over 500hp now and so the selection of cars is getting slim to move on to.

My F150 is dog shit slow. It is less than a year old and I want to trade it in on an Ecoboost. Not for fuel economy, but for the lack of power. It drives me nucking futs.

I too have been tempted to get something slower, more economical. Then I slap myself, come to my senses and realize that cars are my only real vice and so I should get what I want, and not what I think I need.

Mibz
09-07-2011, 12:55 PM
:dunno:
I drive my Jeep like I drove my SRT-4

Into walls *zing*

Seriously though, my driving hasn't changed. The Jeep takes longer to get to speeds, and obviously I can't corner as hard but my style, my habits, etc. are all the same.

-relk-
09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Hell my civic feels fine at 140...

If I had the option to buy a faster car, I would. I wouldn't let the laws change that. One day, maybe after school is done...

firebane
09-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I've owned many different vehicles.. some fast.. some slow.

And personally I hate slow vehicles you just can't get any around anything and when you try and do things like pass vehicles you need 4 miles to do it.

Just cause you have the power doesn't mean you need to use it but come on...

Those people who drive cars like vipers and corvettes and never open them up.. sacriledge.

Abeo
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I bought a slow truck thinking it would calm me down, and a fast dirt bike to take my driving aggression out in a suitable place. It hasn't worked out, and it sucks driving a slow vehicle in the mountains. Funny thing is, when I first got the truck ( at sea level) it had "enough" power. In Calgary, its hurting, and even worse when I put on the AC. Remember that the 0-60 time for the impreza is probably going to be longer, and it won't have 140 hp at this elevation.

kamakurakid
09-07-2011, 01:11 PM
For me 0-60, 80-130 (for passing), etc and overall comfort as well as interior sound levels from road/wind noise are the only things that matter. I am not the type to babysit or worry about a car while I am in a store or cafe, etc. I used to, one day came to the conclusion that it was all ego.

A Subaru with AWD, sunroof, heated seats, heated windshield wiper area and good stereo (seems to be a Subie issue from what I have read) would fit the bill. Something to be said for running under the radar in a safe vehicle and not getting attention for tinted windows, loud car, etc.

The laws are only going to get tougher, it is hard to be against a law making the roads safer for all. Like arguing seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. Then again, car makers ought to be offering vehicles only capable of doing no more than the maximum speed in NA. Stalin like indeed. They sell XL condoms as well, I doubt 99% use the space purchased, same goes for car makers and their customers.

Jsen-DC2
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
ive had a winter beater 89 accord auto that was very slow, i got my first real speeding ticket in that, i was 30 over on a 80 zone, but seriously i had no idea i was speeding, car just took a quarter mile to get up to a hundred so i didnt realize it creeped up there:banghead: , drive faster car, you will speed but atleast knowingly :dunno:

ercchry
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
the only slow cars i have enjoyed were full size luxury land yachts, only because they are so comfy to drive it is soothing and the need to drive fast goes away :rofl:

that being said... until i am at a point in my life where i can drive a brand new fully loaded LS460 of the lot... my cars will have to have some pep to them

Sentry
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I drive my slow car faster.

In my Civic I drive with traffic's speed maybe a little quicker, just doing WOT blasts once in a while because the acceleration feels awesome.

In my 800 dollar GTI I drive like a 16 year old everywhere, 15 over minumum, hauling balls into turns and then lifting the throttle trying to induce oversteer, flat foot shifting it just accelerating on an on ramp, etc. Little fucker is fun.

I'm trying to sell the Civic because it doesn't match my driving style. I push the limits of the slow shitty car, in the fast car I just cruise and do little shots of acceleration. My next project is most likely going to be a high horsepower Aristo, something I think would better suit how I drive "fast" cars.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I drive faster in slower cars, it's like I want it to be fast so I have to drive the shit out of it.

I have had one minor for speeding so far.

Aleks
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My friends say I'm going to get bored and frustrated with a slow car and will kick myself. I'm just putting myself in a position where I'll resist the urge to speed. Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I got a ticket for anything else other than speeding. :rofl:

You can speed in any car. However, in 1.5 yrs I had my GTI I got 4 tickets, 3 speeding and one dirty LP ticket :rofl:

Since I got into slow cars, 0 tickets. My reasoning mostly I wanted cheap, auto, regular gas, not having to add oil, no chance of modding engine and mosly comfy since I drive 60kms per day in stop and go traffic :banghead:

I miss the power only if I drive the thing late at night somewhere where there is no traffic.

benyl
09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I want to get into slow cars...

Fuck, I should buy a prius and start hypermilling.

Sentry
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I drive faster in slower cars, it's like I want it to be fast so I have to drive the shit out of it.
Exactly, I was having trouble putting that into words.

Big_Fat
09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I switched to an Acura TSX after i sold my R32 GTR and it was soo damn boring to drive I sold it after owning it for like 3 months.

heavyD
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I want to get into slow cars...

Fuck, I should buy a prius and start hypermilling.

I don't know about you but I can't handle the dickhead drivers in this city. You know when you are in a lane that has a merge ramp approaching and the type of person that's behind you and intends to merge off ahead but rather than go behind you and waiting his turn he decides to speed past you in the other lane and cut you off by crossing two lanes so he can merge at the last minute. I like having a fast car so I can fuck them over before they fuck me over and not let them pass me.

samh54
09-09-2011, 02:35 AM
I find that if you have a "slow" car I try and drive it fast to make it look more than it is.
But with a faster car you and others already know its fast so you dont have to try make a stament. Plus the power is there when you need it.

Blue
09-09-2011, 04:28 AM
i agree with max boost, i usually speed when theres a clear road ahead of me but only for a short period of time. But otherwise ill still stick to a fast car like my M3. I dont mind driving slow with a fast car but its just people that dont know how to drive. ex) not turning on the signal when they're turning etc etc :whipped: :whipped:

syritis
09-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

or maybe it's more fun to drive shitty cars because it starts to feel like your pushing the limit at much lower speed, ie having fun before being scared/leery of getting a ticket.

my next build will be a low HP, car with a retardedly high lateral G. so it'll be great on gas because i won't have to slow down for on/off ramps. also it'll class much betting in time attack.

as for daily driver, i'm glad my truck as an abundance of HP. it makes it so much easier to merge into traffic on the highway/deerfoot/crowchild. I set my cruise and never worry about my speed. it also allows me to focus more on other drivers. like noticing that person shoulder check, and give them some room before they pull the steering wheel off the column, trying to forcibly rotate the cars angle, nearly putting themselves into the ditch..... just for a lane change.