PDA

View Full Version : Don't trust your hotel safe (video)

googe
09-08-2011, 08:54 AM
vW7M84khZy8

Tik-Tok
09-08-2011, 09:27 AM
The default password is changeable though, so in other words that hotel just didn't do it's diligence and change it, lol.

jsn
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I get what he's complaining about but sorta seems like a double edged sword. He forgot his code and asked the hotel to open it and then was shocked that they were able to open it for him? :dunno:

lint
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jsn
I get what he's complaining about but sorta seems like a double edged sword. He forgot his code and asked the hotel to open it and then was shocked that they were able to open it for him? :dunno:

no. he's pissed that the default code is "000000". that's like leaving an Admin password "PASSWORD"

max_boost
09-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Well there has to be a default code lol as long as only management knows it and not the maids cleaning the rooms haha

codetrap
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well there has to be a default code lol as long as only management knows it and not the maids cleaning the rooms haha

Yeeeaaah... So, you're saying some flunky running the desk at night isn't going to have access to that code? And you think that they're not going to be lazy and send the doorman/maid up to the room to unlock it for you? Remember who you're talking about here.. most likely a bunch of high school dropouts working at the best western, or some seriously impoverished mexican who makes in a year what you're spending in a night?

Couple all that with a total lack of "give a shit" and I bet you dollars to donuts that 99% of the default room safe passwords haven't been changed.

Xtrema
09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Well there is a default code when the system ships.

That code should be changed once deployed and only building security/management should know what that code is and nobody else.

403Gemini
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I dont even lock my stuff up when I leave my hotel room and I've never had an issue any where I've traveled. Laptop right on the desk/table in my room, passport i usually keep in my backpack / with my wallet... so I don't really see the point of the safe. I mean, I went to China this year and nothing got stolen so... ;)

Maybelater
09-09-2011, 01:19 AM
e
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I dont even lock my stuff up when I leave my hotel room and I've never had an issue any where I've traveled. Laptop right on the desk/table in my room, passport i usually keep in my backpack / with my wallet... so I don't really see the point of the safe. I mean, I went to China this year and nothing got stolen so... ;)

Nearly every case of stolen stuff is idiots losing their own stuff and blaming others for it.

Also, sorry but all the front desk staff are going to know the default way to enter the safe, why? Because the manager is sure as hell not going to come down at 2:00am to unlock an angry guest who locked important items in there, forgot the password and the suddenly had to leave in the middle of the night.

They'll know if anyone not authorized to enter the room did outside of normal times anyway, all the locks in a hotel keep documentation of key-cards used to open a door and any good hotel will issue keys only used by that one staff person. So even if it does have a default password a missing item from the safe and entry into the room at 9:00PM for no reason is going to raise questions.