PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of godaddy, who should I switch to?

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm currently using godaddy for my domain names and email accounts, I have half a dozen domain names, a 10 user IMAP email account and a microsoft exchange email account. I'm looking to switch to another established company with good service, who should I be considering?

FreakinPrince
09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Take a look into your ISP provider? Shaw or telus whoever you use?

See what they have to offer?

Mibz
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
What's annoying you about them?

I use Netfirms for my Canadian domains but GD for everything else because they tend to be the cheapest and there are a million and one coupons on RetailMeNot :P

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
Take a look into your ISP provider? Shaw or telus whoever you use?

See what they have to offer?

Shaw can't even get my PVR working, never mind the 2+ hour hold times if you need to speak with someone.

schocker
09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I use stablehost out of america as they had a promo on RFD for like hosting and free domain for some amount of money per year. It was pretty cheap and they are a fairly stable host...

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
What's annoying you about them?

I use Netfirms for my Canadian domains but GD for everything else because they tend to be the cheapest and there are a million and one coupons on RetailMeNot :P

First they told me their web store services work with Canada Post, which they don't. I've since switched my store to another provider who only does web stores and they have been great.

Secondly, my email accounts through them are set up as IMAP, apparently there is a known bug with Outlook 2010 and godaddys IMAP service. When I try to do a send/receive in outlook I get the following error:

"Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on [email protected]' reported error (Ox800CC0E) : 'Outlook cannot check for new mail in subscribed folders for account [email protected]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If I call godaddy and have them reset my SMTP relays from 250, back to 0, then back to 250 it works fine for about half an hour then the same error message comes back. It randomly happens to either one or two of my email accounts every time I try to hit send/receive, but there is no consistancy as to why or when it happens.

Thirdly, after talking to tech support I found other people in their forums have had the exact same issue. When I went to reply to one of the threads I was unable to create a "Forum name", it kept asking me to create a new name every time I tried to reply to the thread. Their tech support told me it's the fault of Internet Explorer 9 and that godaddys website has compatibility issues with IE9. They told me to download firefox instead. I then downloaded firefox and had the same bug, went on my laptop with firefox and still the same issue... I can't even get on their forums and make a post, lol.

Grogador
09-08-2011, 11:41 AM
www.cheap-domainregistration.com for domain names, www.iweb.com for all of your hosting needs. Regardless, you should NEVER have your domain registrar do your hosting, not even DNS if you can help it, as they have a nasty habit of hijacking and holding your domain names hostage if there's billing or legal issues.

A790
09-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
www.cheap-domainregistration.com for domain names, www.iweb.com for all of your hosting needs. Regardless, you should NEVER have your domain registrar do your hosting, not even DNS if you can help it, as they have a nasty habit of hijacking and holding your domain names hostage if there's billing or legal issues.
This.

GoDaddy has a few dozen of my domain names, but hosts none of them.

NameCheap is a decent registrar, worth checking out.

Mar
09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I use HostGo, the customer service is amazing. I don't use GoDaddy, the customer service is shit.

Maybelater
09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Check these guys out: http://www.fatcow.com/

They have a great customer service and tech department. When I closed my account they offered me tons of free stuff and ended up refunding me a bunch of my subscription when I finally closed it.

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

I got my issue with their forums fixed, Godaddy was trying to pass the buck to poor microsoft programming. The problem ended up being the godaddy website was telling me that the names I was picking were availble, when they were in fact already taken by someone else. Once I selected a name and added some random numbers on the end it finally worked, though they assured me it was a IE9 issue. :thumbsdow

Now hopefully they can fix my email issues, I've escalated it with live support and am supposed to hear back from them tomorrow.

UndrgroundRider
09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

First they told me their web store services work with Canada Post, which they don't. I've since switched my store to another provider who only does web stores and they have been great.

Secondly, my email accounts through them are set up as IMAP, apparently there is a known bug with Outlook 2010 and godaddys IMAP service. When I try to do a send/receive in outlook I get the following error:

"Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on [email protected]' reported error (Ox800CC0E) : 'Outlook cannot check for new mail in subscribed folders for account [email protected]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If I call godaddy and have them reset my SMTP relays from 250, back to 0, then back to 250 it works fine for about half an hour then the same error message comes back. It randomly happens to either one or two of my email accounts every time I try to hit send/receive, but there is no consistancy as to why or when it happens.

Thirdly, after talking to tech support I found other people in their forums have had the exact same issue. When I went to reply to one of the threads I was unable to create a "Forum name", it kept asking me to create a new name every time I tried to reply to the thread. Their tech support told me it's the fault of Internet Explorer 9 and that godaddys website has compatibility issues with IE9. They told me to download firefox instead. I then downloaded firefox and had the same bug, went on my laptop with firefox and still the same issue... I can't even get on their forums and make a post, lol.

Oh, that's the infamous PEBKAC error. It doesn't surprise me that tech support is having problems solving your issue. Unfortunately I think you will experience the same problem regardless of provider.

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Oh, that's the infamous PEBKAC error. It doesn't surprise me that tech support is having problems solving your issue. Unfortunately I think you will experience the same problem regardless of provider.

Right, how do you figure?

CompletelyNumb
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I've had domains since 1996, and honestly GoDaddy has been the easiest/best registrar to deal with in recent times. I preferred it when domain were cheaper but oh well. I've used easily 2 dozen different companies in that time. Stick with GoDaddy.

Can't comment on the email issue, I've never heard of it. But I know if you get a ticket escalated then they usually solve it.

If the tech on the phone ever tells you it's a pebcak error, he's being a dick lol.

tictactoe2004
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, I was able to figure out the email issue on my own.

They don't support SPA, if it's enabled in outlook everything will slow down and send/receive will only work properly about 75% of the time. Ever time I called in they would reset the SMTP relays and I would think the issue was fixed... 20-30 minutes later it would return. Instead of trying to figure out the cause of the problem they basically kept telling me microsoft made shit product and just reset the relays.

Mar
09-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

Right, how do you figure?

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

treg50
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Was a final decision made?

Also, does anyone find a benefit to using Canadian vs American hosting companies? (ie. like customer service, billing issues, etc.)

tictactoe2004
09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Was a final decision made?

Also, does anyone find a benefit to using Canadian vs American hosting companies? (ie. like customer service, billing issues, etc.)

I ended up partially fixing the email myself, although it's better it's still not perfect. Their tech support is horrible, so I switched my webstore to another provider and it's been fantastic.

I'll probably upgrade my godaddy email accounts from imap to an exchange account, I have never had any issues with godaddys hosted exchange emails.