PDA

View Full Version : Replacing BBM

sexualbanana
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
A friend of mine lives in NYC and we BBM each other back and forth all the time. But we've come into the problem where, at some point, we're going to have to get new phones. And Blackberrys nowadays are shitty.

She is considering getting the iPhone 5, while I am 99% positive I will get an Android phone.

Short of paying for long-distance texts, what are our options for staying in touch?

Xtrema
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Whatsapp.

Type_S1
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
1. "WhatsApp"...an extremely shitty shitty slow laggy version of BBM that any smartphone can download...I'm pretty sure it just uses data just at a heavier rate then BBM

2. Call her...

3. Webcam(extra added fun if she's a good looking girl)...

:poosie:

schocker
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Short of paying for long-distance texts, what are our options for staying in touch?
Texts are generally for north-america :dunno:

rage2
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Txts to US costs extra money, at least on my Rogers plan.

iPhone will have iMessenger, basically a BBM ripoff made pretty, around end of Sept with iOS5.

WhatsApp is a decent solution, but it's an app, and not integrated into the OS, so quality isn't as tight as BBM. I've had missed messages, messages coming in the wrong order, and slow notifications with WhatsApp on the iPhone. The quality of the service is dependant on WhatsApp servers that's run by the developers, and when they're an outage or slowness, it all goes down the shitter for everyone.

BBM and iMessage are run by RIM and Apple, so the quality of service is much higher.

edit - You're getting an Android phone... well then, WhatsApp is your only choice.

spike98
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You're getting an Android phone... well then, WhatsApp is your only choice.

Or Liveprofile. I use it and its never failed me yet. Cross platform between blackberry, iphone, and android

benyl
09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
My City Fido plan includes unlimited texts to anywhere in the world. $35 / month.

BBM's only advantages over texts is group messaging and read receipts.

Other than that, it is just a text if you are only talking to one person.

max_boost
09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
A friend of mine lives in NYC and we BBM each other back and forth all the time. But we've come into the problem where, at some point, we're going to have to get new phones. And Blackberrys nowadays are shitty.

She is considering getting the iPhone 5, while I am 99% positive I will get an Android phone.

She? Really? BBMSEXTING? haha

Ukyo8
09-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Get an android and download Viber, you can make phone calls to other Viber users with it for free over 3g/4g

ZEDGE
09-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

edit - You're getting an Android phone... well then, WhatsApp is your only choice.

Um No... :nut:

Whatsapp
Kik
LiveProfile
Google + Huddle
Facebook messenger
Fring (chat and voice)
Skype (chat and voice)

To name a few.. there are tons of apps on the Android Market and Apple App store to chat or send messages from ether, the ones above are cross platform for sure.

Also Samsung is soon releasing ChatOn, a BBM rip off much like Apples however its cross platform unlike Apples..

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/samsungs-chaton-messaging-service-brings-free-texting-to-androi/

There are many options.

r0g3r
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
there's also pingchat, it's supposedly good

i remember reading long long ago that BBM may be coming to android/ios

but..that never came to fruition and likely won't

it's too bad

btw I don't think whatsapp uses too much data?

Although it's connectivity and reliatblity issues are bothersome

swak
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
What's wrong with blackberry?
I see no problems at all with my 9700, and now the 9900 just came out sexy as ever.
Stick with RIM dude.

K3RMiTdot
09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
^+1

i love my 9900 =D

Gorilla
09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
^+1

i love my 9900 =D

Word up. Why all this hate towards blackberry

schocker
09-08-2011, 10:01 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ywi7wh.jpg
BB 9900 $599
SGS II $599
HTC Sensation $549
Atrix $599
This is problem number one.

streethondas
09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Had few customers return there 9900 because of the white screen issue, go with the s2 it's truly an amazing device! For the unlimited txt package either virgin or Fido like Benly suggested!

rage2
09-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
Um No... :nut:

Whatsapp
Kik
LiveProfile
Google + Huddle
Facebook messenger
Fring (chat and voice)
Skype (chat and voice)

To name a few.. there are tons of apps on the Android Market and Apple App store to chat or send messages from ether, the ones above are cross platform for sure.
What I meant to say is that WhatsApp is the best cross platform chat app. In terms of reliability anyways.

Kg810
09-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Beluga is what I use on my iPhone to message my Android friends.

It is straight forward easy to use and fast. I prefer Beluga over Whatsapp.

With Beluga you can create "Pods" which are groups, you can sign in on the website and continue chatting as you were on your phone, you can log in with your FB account, send photos (with or without location), profile picture, pod picture, etc.

I was using Beluga before FB bought it out and it has always been reliable and fast for me.