PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VW

Onassis
09-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Any suggestions for sales people and dealerships in Alberta ?

DJ Lazy
09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
5th Ave Auto Haus were pretty good to deal with. Very detailed car delivery, and service since has been great.

I've only heard horror stories about Northland VW.. so might want to avoid them.

danno
09-08-2011, 10:31 PM
i also liked 5th ave, had nothing but problems at south centre for service though. i used tudor for sales and derrick for financing.

Nakadah
09-08-2011, 11:02 PM
DO NOT go to Northland VW!!! They have absolutely no idea of VWs. I am banned from there because they could not take me for granted and I did not allow them to steal my money.:rofl:

I have heard from a lot of close friends that 5th ave is A+ dealership.

nismodrifter
09-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Check pm

muse017
09-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Pretty much covered from previous posters. Avoid Northland VW at any cost.

btimbit
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
5th Ave is your best bet. Northland are all idiots and Southcentre seems to think that just because they also sell Porsche's that they can jack up their prices for everything else too.

Rhystar
09-08-2011, 11:33 PM
LOL, i work at northland.. as a detailer.., if you do go northland, talk to miguel, he knows his cars and is a VERY avid VW enthusiast

max_boost
09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I bring my car to SCFC for service and never had a problem!? Easy going advisers and always get things done on time.

nickyh
09-09-2011, 07:15 AM
5th Ave for the sales part is the better place to go, i went in with a car cost canada report and they realized i was a serious buyer and we came to a discount that made me happy.

I dealt with Michael Funk.

As for service, right now I give them a fail. I had to take the car back for some warranty work and they were only able to fix 1 of the three complaints i had. The car is back there today.

As for Northland, I bought and serviced my Jetta with them - i have a note on my file to treat with extra care and attention after some incidents there that involved them telling me to take my car and get the eff out of their dealership.

SSFC I would never buy from, bunch of idiots there - but the service group did a fantastic job when they took care of my Jetta. I will be trying them for my first service.

davesparky6
09-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Never actually bought it, but I was looking at a car from south centre fine cars. Brandon was the guy I was dealing with. He really knew his stuff and seemed pretty genuine. Like I said though, I never signed anywhere so can't help you with the whole process.

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2011, 09:33 AM
It's mostly going to be salesperson dependent, but I've had bad experiences at SCFC and Northland VW.

At SCFC, my friend was with my Dad and I to help him find a car. We wanted to test drive a used Jetta 2.0T, and were ready to buy that day. We were literally told "I'm too busy to help you right now (Nobody else in sight) and the car has way too much power to let you out on your own". So, we went elsewhere and bought a car that day. The guy was a clown.

At Northland VW, I again was with a friend helping him look at a car. They had a used Impreza on their lot, and we were literally told, by a small group of people hanging around the water/coffee area that they didn't have time to help us. So, we went elsewhere and once again bought a car that day.

Aleks
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Bough one at Fifth Ave, another in Lethbridge. Buying in Lethbridge was saves you on doc fees as they have smaller overhead. But the real reason I bought there was lack of stock in Calgary at the time.

Cos
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Talk to Tyler at South Center Fine Cars. He is my cousin.

davesparky6
09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Never actually bought it, but I was looking at a car from south centre fine cars. Brandon was the guy I was dealing with. He really knew his stuff and seemed pretty genuine. Like I said though, I never signed anywhere so can't help you with the whole process.

nickyh
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
What annoyed me about SSFC most was when I went to go and buy a GTI and we could not locate what i wanted in calgary so we found a car in bc - i told him, whether I buy a 2011 with what I want or I can wait for a 2012 model.

We located one in BC but it did not have the 18" wheels so I was told I would have to pay extra to have them installed at $300 over the 18" package price plus I would have to pay the freight in.
Two days later I got a call, oh we'll do the tire swap no charge but you still have to pay freight. Next day, i got another call - we'll bring it in at our expense... but they were not willing to budge on price.
He then asked me if I wanted a GLI. :facepalm:

Yeah, i get they are similar - but i never came to look at a GLI, not interested in the body styling at all (it's a jetta - come on).

At 5th Ave I got a precent decent discount on a 2012 model....

5.9 R/T
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Little story.
Bought a used passat tdi which has a known chain driven balance shaft issue. Car was under warranty still so I brought it to northland to have it checked, they said nothing wrong but I was convinced that I could hear the chain grinding. Then took it to SSFC, had their head mechanic come out and check out the car and he told me I was wrong and thats how the car was supposed to sound, there was nothing wrong with the car, he's worked on tons of them and has never ever seen an issue. Immediately after being at SSFC went to 5th ave and the service adviser (yes the adviser, not a mechanic) knew what the problem was as soon as I pulled the car into their service bay, I didn't even start telling him why I was there Saved me $10 000+ on an eventual engine replacement if that part had let go. They've been getting my service business ever since, and because they seem to have people in the service department that know which end is up I would recommend them. You only spend an hour or two with a sales guy but you (or your car) will spend much more time in the service department after the purchase (especially being a vw ha!) so thats how I would make my choice.