PDA

View Full Version : C-Train in hot weather

drclark
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone knows why the heat is turned on in the C Train when the outside weather is +29 degrees? This is during rush hours!

schocker
09-09-2011, 11:56 AM
It isn't it is the heat generated from braking coming into the cabin. If you read their twitter, which is full of lulz, this question comes in like 1000x a week :rofl:

D'z Nutz
09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
"Climate change"

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2011, 12:15 PM
When I used to ride the train, and see people regularly passing out/fainting (subsequently contributing to my almost daily delay), I got curious and brought a thermometer with me one day. In the summer it gets over 40 degrees C in the trains pretty easily, and they are packed so tight you can't even move, so it's no wonder it's an issue. Combine that with almost zero air flow, and it isn't hard to see why people go to such great lengths to avoid Calgary Transit.

Some of the new trains have A/C but the few I've been on, it does nothing because people open all the window still, and it's not nearly powerful enough.

schocker
09-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Some of the new trains have A/C but the few I've been on, it does nothing because people open all the window still, and it's not nearly powerful enough.
The windows cannot open on the trains with A/C.
It has not been too bad this summer imo, but I take it off peak generally so no mass of BO as when it is full.

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by schocker

The windows cannot open on the trains with A/C.
It has not been too bad this summer imo, but I take it off peak generally so no mass of BO as when it is full.

Didn't they retro fit the A/C on older trains? Maybe I've never been on a train with A/C then...I thought that's what the big things on top of the train were, though. Maybe not?

And does this mean you can't open the windows for air flow on a moderate day?

schocker
09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Didn't they retro fit the A/C on older trains? Maybe I've never been on a train with A/C then...I thought that's what the big things on top of the train were, though. Maybe not?

And does this mean you can't open the windows for air flow on a moderate day?
I think on a few then they sealed the windows and they have stickers that they do not open. On the newer trains there is no window at all and just one big piece of glass, at least some are tinted, but they had better watch out for the cops as they would pull the train over.
Correct though, no airflow except a/c.

drclark
09-09-2011, 01:01 PM
The newer train is great. It has AC. In the older ones the heat is radiating off the register below the window. It is super hot. I don't think it is the brake that is generating the heat, because on someday it is nice and cool eventhough it is warm outside.

drclark
09-09-2011, 01:08 PM
How come there are more old trains running on the City Hall/Mcknight Westwind route than the Crowfoot/Sommerset route? We always get the crappy old train with no AC where Crowfoot/Sommerset is always using the new trains.

Who's idea is it to get those newer trains with one superlong bench seat on the side of the windows? You cannot sit without touching the person beside you.

codetrap
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by drclark
How come there are more old trains running on the City Hall/Mcknight Westwind route than the Crowfoot/Sommerset route? We always get the crappy old train with no AC where Crowfoot/Sommerset is always using the new trains.

Who's idea is it to get those newer trains with one superlong bench set on the side of the windows? You cannot sit without touching the person beside you.

Duh.. it's the NE. They're not going to give that bunch of hobo's something nice to deface up there..

:angel:

bspot
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Way more passengers on the Crowfoot/Sommerset line.

Which means you piss off less people by giving them crappy, old, hot cars.

drclark
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
So those of us living in the NE are second class citizens.

Kg810
09-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Who's idea is it to get those newer trains with one superlong bench seat on the side of the windows? You cannot sit without touching the person beside you.

lol wtf? You actually expect to have space and not to be touched or touching anyone else on the trains during rush hour?

The benches are way more efficient because it doubles the standing room compared to the old seating arrangement + tight isle space.

Ukyo8
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Correct

schocker
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Crowfoot gets alot of crappy old trains as well :dunno:
Hate getting crushed in those f'n doors when I am not paying attention :rofl:

Cos
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Yes, NGED

Guillermo
09-09-2011, 01:53 PM

yes, but remember that regardless of what the street signs say, the NE is anything north of Dover.

kvg
09-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Yes #4

kvg
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

yes, but remember that regardless of what the street signs say, the NE is anything north of Dover.

Wrong, north of glenmore some exception do apply

Civic_Drift
09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
And this is why I miss taking the New York subway in hot weather... nice cool air blasting at you!

bignerd
09-09-2011, 07:20 PM
In Japan they actually had different cars with different levels of air conditioning... light, heavy, none. It says on the outside of the car before you get in so you could choose.

NuclearPizzaMan
09-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Seems like most of the old U2's have jammed heat diverters. The heat isn't on, we are simply blasting heat through the heating elements into the train car! Fortunately, this problem will invert itself in time for winter.

Mitsu3000gt
09-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
Seems like most of the old U2's have jammed heat diverters. The heat isn't on, we are simply blasting heat through the heating elements into the train car! Fortunately, this problem will invert itself in time for winter.

I noticed this A LOT on those trains. Blasting heat in the summer, no heat in the winter. All passengers super uncomfortable.

Marsh
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
anything north of Memorial dr and East of Deerfoot Tr is NE = *insert NE jokes here*

msommers
09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Calgarians bitching. What else is new!

CapnCrunch
09-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Calgarians bitching. What else is new!

msommers trolling. What else is new!

whiskas
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Yes #5.

ClearBluewater
09-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Yes #6

Xtrema
09-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Feel better that ballers who will use the west LRT line will have to slump it with you.