PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever find that your bills don't make any sense?

arian_ma
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Sometimes it seems to me that even the company that is billing you doesn't know what the hell is going on. For example, I recently sold my car and bought another car. Now my insurance company is making me pay for two months of insurance up front, so I asked them what happened to the two months up front I paid them with my previous car. They told me that that money is gone because I canceled my insurance prematurely. I asked her what I was supposed to do, even though I bought and insured my new car within a week of cancelling the old one, and she said that to prevent getting charged you either have to sell exactly when your one year is up or align your buying and selling on the exact same day. Like, you little fuckers don't have a big enough scam going as an insurance company that you have to do this too?

Or Enmax, they sent us a bill for $300 for our first month of use, and the actual electricity portion of that was $28. We called them and they dropped $150 off of the bill. Do these people have their heads up their ass completely or is it just a tactic to suck more money out of people because people just can't decipher their complicated as fuck bills which seem to make absolutely no sense????

:banghead: :banghead:

Mar
09-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Same problem, I called Enmax to explain to me what ever line meant and they had to get help from a few different people, I think someone ended up calling me back.

max_boost
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Curious what insurance company? I'm with STatefarm and never had that problem.

lint
09-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Shaw and Telus same thing. I was told by a Telus rep "You're focusing on the numbers too much" when I couldn't reconcile my bill, and neither could she.

arian_ma
09-09-2011, 12:15 PM
This was with Meloche Monnex. They told me they put in a request to refund my money but it would have to get approved. What choices do I have if it doesn't get approved?

I have the same problem with Rogers too. I have a $130 text messaging charge on my bill currently, but it's awesome because I have an unlimited texting plan.

:nut:

D'z Nutz
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I find all bills don't make sense, even when I'm getting charged what I'm supposed to be getting charged.

- Cheap Chinaman

Kennyredline
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
http://eschewsupererogatoryobfuscatio.wikispaces.com/file/view/obfuscation.jpg/198892062/obfuscation.jpg

bwling
09-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I'm with Meloche Monnex as well and didn't encounter this problem. I sold my old vehicle and cancelled my insurance a few weeks before getting my new one. They gave me a credit for the remining months up to my renewal date and then charged me the normal amount when I added my new vehicle. You might want to call again and talk to a different CSR.

With regards to your Rogers bill, my wife encountered the same problem. If you haven't already, take a look at the detail for the $130 charge. She was getting charged in increments of $10 for different services from a third party company. She had to call that company to request that they remove her from these services and get a refund. It took them two months, but they finally sent us a letter confirming removal along with a cheque for the refund.

Feruk
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Meloche Monnex has usually been pretty good to me. Exception being one time my car got vandalized and I called to see if it was worth claiming. The rep said my insurance wouldn't go up BUT I'd lose some 10% discount I didn't even know was on my account (price of insurance never changed). How the fuck is that not insurance going up? Stupidity.

I think Shaw is the biggest bunch of sheister Jews (no offense to actual Jewish people) in Canada. I pay for cable and internet. Got the whole deal for like $50 last year, now I'm paying $110 monthly for 5 good channels and 50 total garbage channels like APTN and the food network.

I get mad just thinking about it... But I don't wanna miss an episode of Jeopardy.

C_Dave45
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The problem is having absolute idiots that couldn't pass a grade 5 math test working behind customer service.

A perfect example of this:
zN9LZ3ojnxY

codetrap
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Meloche Monnex has usually been pretty good to me. Exception being one time my car got vandalized and I called to see if it was worth claiming. The rep said my insurance wouldn't go up BUT I'd lose some 10% discount I didn't even know was on my account (price of insurance never changed). How the fuck is that not insurance going up? Stupidity.

I think Shaw is the biggest bunch of sheister Jews (no offense to actual Jewish people) in Canada. I pay for cable and internet. Got the whole deal for like $50 last year, now I'm paying $110 monthly for 5 good channels and 50 total garbage channels like APTN and the food network.

I get mad just thinking about it... But I don't wanna miss an episode of Jeopardy.

I was the same way with Bell, so I called them looking to cancel. I now have the full package with 1 HD PVR and 1 HD reciever for $60/month for a year. The lady also told me that they're shifting to pay per channel, where you can pick just the channels you like without having to pay for all the shitty ones.

The one that never ceases to piss me off is my Gas bill. I've averaged between $6-9/month in actual gas usage.. yet my fucking gas bill is never less than $60. THAT is fucking insanity.

Sugarphreak
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

clem24
09-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Weird.. All my bills are great.

My insurance company has been great. I am through Intact (formely ING) and they automatically do refunds for the situation listed above.

On my last Shaw bill, after I switched to the new SPP, I got credited for the price difference for the days that I was only the plan.

No complaints here.

CompletelyNumb
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Shaw was always bad at mysterious charges for me. Telus Communications as well. Telus mobility has always been good. Utilities were always good.

Love that Verizon video ^ :nut:

bignerd
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Telus internet and home phone etc... so many discounts on the bill, portions of charges that are pro rated, no idea if I am ever getting the discount I am supposed to.

turbotrip
09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
what car u get holmes? and congrats on finally selling the benz

Tik-Tok
09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
she said that to prevent getting charged you either have to sell exactly when your one year is up or align your buying and selling on the exact same day

You were talking to a complete idiot. I'm also with MM, and have never had this problem.

Just out of curiosity, did you cancel your insurance the same day your car sold, then a few days later call them back to put insurance on your new car?

Wakalimasu
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
You don't cancel your insurance, you just sub in a new car and they will remove the old one and add the new one to your existing policy.

If you did cancel your insurance then you will lose a % of your down payment with a bigger % at the start of the term (almost a full month) if you cancelled early.

If you start a new policy you will have to pay a down payment all over again. I subbed in my new car and they spread out the additional premium over the remainder of my months as my new car is worth more than my old car and my rates went up like $200 / year.

I didn't have to pay a new down payment and they kept billing me as usual except with like about $20 more added a month.

johnboy27
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Shaw is really greasy. When I moved they set up a new account for me( they did tell me about it but I forgot). I kept paying into my old account by accident until I got a 500 dollar bill from them one day. Called them up to ask about it and we figured out that I had been paying into the wrong account. So I asked them to transfer the funds(600 bucks) into the other account and they told me they couldn't do it. Not too sure why but the woman just said she can't and told me to go to my bank and have all the payments reversed.
I went to the bank to talk to them about it and they said it will take 5-6 weeks to do it and that Shaw should have no problems moving the cash over as they have done it for other customers in the same situation in the past. Fast forward a couple days and I get a letter from Shaw saying they are gonna disconect my cable for non payment. If I can ever find 6 hours to stay on hold with them I am going to call and give them one more chance to transfer the cash. If they can't I may just go back to Telus, as much as I do not want to.

Davex
09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Two days after getting my gas bill, which was barely $200 my gas got shut off, without warning. Now it's over $300 to get it all hooked up again.:dunno:

Xtrema
09-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I never had a problem with AMA. But I never cancel. I either have both cars for awhile and get refund later or keep old insurance around and switch over when new car lands. The penalty for canceling isn't worth it.

SKR
09-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27
Shaw is really greasy. When I moved they set up a new account for me( they did tell me about it but I forgot). I kept paying into my old account by accident until I got a 500 dollar bill from them one day. Called them up to ask about it and we figured out that I had been paying into the wrong account. So I asked them to transfer the funds(600 bucks) into the other account and they told me they couldn't do it. Not too sure why but the woman just said she can't and told me to go to my bank and have all the payments reversed.
I went to the bank to talk to them about it and they said it will take 5-6 weeks to do it and that Shaw should have no problems moving the cash over as they have done it for other customers in the same situation in the past. Fast forward a couple days and I get a letter from Shaw saying they are gonna disconect my cable for non payment. If I can ever find 6 hours to stay on hold with them I am going to call and give them one more chance to transfer the cash. If they can't I may just go back to Telus, as much as I do not want to.

Shaw did that to me too after I moved. I kept paying into the old account I guess, because I figured Shaw is Shaw and I didn't know I was doing it wrong. I don't think I even got called; I think they just shut me off, and I called them to find out what happened. They told me I hadn't been paying.

I thought it was funny that nobody ever questioned why unsolicited money was coming in, because it definitely left my bank account. I wonder why after receiving a couple payments nobody called me and asked why I was paying for service that I wasn't getting.

My only other option is Sasktel, and after a long list of fuckarounds ending in, "if anyone from Sasktel shows up at my door I'm going to punch them in the fucking face," they're pretty much not an option.

sneek
09-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I have a $170+ bill from Shaw this month...not sure where it came from considering almost nobody was home. I called into ask but then the automated system told me they would call me back in 4 hours.

My usual bill from them is around $60, so I am quite uncertain of where the numbers came from. One strange thing is Canada post no longer seems to deliver half my mail after the strike months ago, so I can't even set up the eBilling without calling in. :banghead:

guessboi
09-11-2011, 10:32 AM
ENMAX, all those fricken fixed fees. :banghead:

arian_ma
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Well shit I don't know how much more clear I can make it for the lady when I say "I've sold this car, I am buying another one soon." Why would she cancel my insurance when she knows I'm buying another car. The second rep even told me that what I said was documented on my account. So what I'm understanding here is that his whole situation is her fault?

As for the Rogers bill, I switched my account to be under my own name since it was a shared family account, and in the transition they fucked up EVERYTHING. For about a month I didn't have a texting plan and was getting charged about 19c per text, hence the $130 charge on my bill. I specifically asked the lady 3 times too; "Does my plan change in ANY way by doing this transfer?" -> "Absolutely not sir I have made a point of it it's all exactly the same," HOW DID YOU FUCK EVERYTHING UP?!?!?!

And our Enmax bill, we moved into our new place right around the time of the strike. They sent us our first bill in the mail, which we never got, and then shut off our electricity after we "received" a shutoff notice and then had to pay a $150 service fee.

Fuck all of them.
:whipped:

sh0ko
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I have a $170+ bill from Shaw this month...not sure where it came from considering almost nobody was home. I called into ask but then the automated system told me they would call me back in 4 hours.

My usual bill from them is around $60, so I am quite uncertain of where the numbers came from. One strange thing is Canada post no longer seems to deliver half my mail after the strike months ago, so I can't even set up the eBilling without calling in. :banghead:

i think this mth is f*ed.. i just got a 170$ bill from enmax ... i dont have a/c i didnt use next to anything in terms of water.. and it was hot as hell...

what part of that makes sense haha

eblend
09-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

i think this mth is f*ed.. i just got a 170$ bill from enmax ... i dont have a/c i didnt use next to anything in terms of water.. and it was hot as hell...

Ditto, same thing, noticed that the last few month the prices increased while my usage decreased. I have all my bills from months past still, gonna look at all of them to see wtf is up.

RBPiranha
09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

It sounds like you don't submit your actual meter readings each month and Enmax just uses an estimate. A meter reader likely came around and noticed your actual usage is higher than the estimate. You are just paying your actual usage that you have not yet been charged for.

BrknFngrs
09-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by RBPiranha

It sounds like you don't submit your actual meter readings each month and Enmax just uses an estimate. A meter reader likely came around and noticed your actual usage is higher than the estimate. You are just paying your actual usage that you have not yet been charged for.

Agreed, it sounds like they are "trueing-up" your usage to actual and they just started doing so this month.

sh0ko
09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
^ yeaa i work with an electrical utilities company so at first i thought this was the case.. but it wasnt...they said it wasnt an estimate my last few mths either (according to two people i talked to)

bighead2267
09-12-2011, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arian_ma
[B]Well shit I don't know how much more clear I can make it for the lady when I say "I've sold this car, I am buying another one soon." Why would she cancel my insurance when she knows I'm buying another car. The second rep even told me that what I said was documented on my account. So what I'm understanding here is that his whole situation is her fault?

they can't cancel your policy verbally, they need a written request in order to cancel and she shouldn't cancel your policy if she know you are getting a vehicle real soon(within a month of 2). You should ask how they could cancel your policy without your signature as an argue point.
On the side note, this is the advantage to have an actual broker to look after your file instead of talk to new stranger with those call centre insurance company everytime.

good luck

Cos
09-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Just put this in the Shaw thread too:

So I cancelled my services in August one week before the end of the period I pre-payed for. Got the final invoice today and they zero'd it out. I am owed for almost a week so at $120.00 that is almost $30.00

I called the billing department at 7:50 and they werent open. Called about 20 minutes ago and it is a wait of more than 2 hours.

At least I got the call back option this time, let see if it works this time though.

Tik-Tok
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
. So what I'm understanding here is that his whole situation is her fault?

Yeah, pretty much. But in the future don't even bother calling your insurance company until you have the new car.

arian_ma
09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
But then they're charging me insurance for a car that isn't mine...

Tik-Tok
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM

True, but if you're planning on getting new car within a week, who cares? If you were going 2 months without, then definitely put insurance on hold.

codetrap
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Is it worth all the other charges you accumulated?

schurchill39
09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
This happened to me to when I had insurance in Alberta. I had to pay 2 months up front and my payments started immediately then when I switched cars I lost that 2 months which was over $400. Sooooo dumb

I went to Alaska earlier this year and called Telus up to find out what the fees would before using my phone up there. The said data was so much, phone calls were so much but texting was free. A few months later I got a notice telling me I have an unpaid amount I need to square up. I always pay $150 on my $70 bill so if I have a few rough months its no big deal because I have credits built up so I was thoroughly confused. I looked and my bill was $780!!! $610 of that was from texting when I was in Alaska. I called them up and asked WTF. The guy said "oh yea, it looks like you did call and who ever talked to you said texting was free. We will credit your account but know that for the future texting is NOT free.

Sometimes it seems to me that even the company that is billing you doesn't know what the hell is going on. For example, I recently sold my car and bought another car. Now my insurance company is making me pay for two months of insurance up front, so I asked them what happened to the two months up front I paid them with my previous car. They told me that that money is gone because I canceled my insurance prematurely. I asked her what I was supposed to do, even though I bought and insured my new car within a week of cancelling the old one, and she said that to prevent getting charged you either have to sell exactly when your one year is up or align your buying and selling on the exact same day. Like, you little fuckers don't have a big enough scam going as an insurance company that you have to do this too?

:banghead: :banghead:

Recca168
09-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Every utility company is messed up. Just looked at my credit card bill yesterday. In the span of two and a half weeks direct energy has billed me 6 times and credited my 5 times for the exact same amount.

At least the bill is still right in this case... but still :facepalm:

davidI
09-13-2011, 12:29 AM
My favourite was that I had fire and theft on a car that is in storage since I'm out of the country. I also have my house rental insurance through the same provider and have had the money being automatically debited from my account for quite some time (though apparently the amount dropped by $15 or $20 at some point without me realizing).

So I get a call from the company one day where they're trying to sell me insurance for my car. I tell them that I already have insurance on my car through them, for fire and theft. They tell me that policy lapsed because I didn't respond to a notice sent to my rental property. So they're calling to up-sell me insurance, but didn't call me before canceling my policy???

Anyways, I tell them I want the fire and theft insurance on my car again. They tell me I have to first drive the car to them so they can look at it. WTF!? They didn't have to do that the first time I put fire and theft on it. So basically, they need me to put liability insurance on the car, go to the register, pay for my registration and plates, drive the car to their agency, get the car appraised (basically to say that it exists and hasn't been set on fire), cancel my liability, get fire and theft, cancel my plates and be out several hundred dollars.

NO FUCKING THANKS.

Assholes.

johnboy27
09-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Recca168
Every utility company is messed up. Just looked at my credit card bill yesterday. In the span of two and a half weeks direct energy has billed me 6 times and credited my 5 times for the exact same amount.

At least the bill is still right in this case... but still :facepalm:
Somehow the brick decided to credit me almost 600 bucks one month.I bought 2500 bucks worth of furniture when I moved into my house and was paying anywhere from 200-400 per month and somehow had it paid off in 4 months. I signed up online to view my card info and noticed the day after I bought the furniture they credited me just about 600 bucks to my card.LOL No complaints from me.

Cos
09-16-2011, 10:34 PM

codetrap
09-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Cos

That is because you are on automatic billing and it is DE. I dont trust any company to take whatever money they want unless I have a contract saying $xyz on xx/yy/zz will be taken from your account.

I agree. I don't give anyone access to my bank account / credit cards for direct payment unless I absolutely have to.