PDA

View Full Version : Getting married without a ceremony of any kind

Unknown303
09-09-2011, 06:45 PM
So say me the my better half just want to get married. I've been reading over the "http://www.servicealberta.ca/542.cfm" website and still don't really know the final step to actually getting it done.

It says you get a marriage commissioner to do the deed but can we just go to city hall for that person or what? We are seriously doing this in the cheapest way possible.

Cascade
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
How romantic.

codetrap
09-09-2011, 06:52 PM
You just have to go down to the courthouse and sign the documents that say you're married.

Sugarphreak
09-09-2011, 06:57 PM

kvg
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
GO TO VEGAS!!!! It's cheap and you can make some memory's. Going to city hall sounds about as memorable as a trip to Walmart:dunno:

Unknown303
09-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I did the same thing, I will forward you the information on who we used to conduct the ceremony on Monday if you want. The lady who did it for us basically did all the running around getting certificates and submitting forms and hosted a signing ceremony for me, my wife and my folks at her place... was really stress free and easy.

I believe the whole thing cost us 400$... we used all the money not hosting a 1 day party to go on a 5 week holidayoverseas, no regrets at all.

Now I feel ultra cheap since we are literally just looking to do the paperwork...

Originally posted by Cascade
How romantic.

:rofl: Thanks for that quality information.

Weapon_R
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM
All you need are the papers from the registry and a marriage commissioner. $150 or so for the commissioner and he will submit the papers to register you.

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Best decision you'll ever make.

Think of the money you saved, that can now go toward a house, honeymoon, or literally anything else which would be a better investment than a huge wedding :thumbsup:

IMO you're lucky to have found a girl who doesn't want a $50k wedding.

Unknown303
09-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Think of the money you saved, that can now go toward a house, honeymoon, or literally anything else which would be a better investment than a huge wedding :thumbsup:

Exactly, it's all going into our next house once we sell our condo, and it was her idea to do it this way. :love:

eblend
09-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Ditto, very luck, same reason I married mine. She didn't want a big wedding at all just something small, 20 people, a room with buffet, and it cost me a total of like $3000 at canmore nordic center. Not the same thing as just signing the papers but spending retarded money on weddings is stupid in my opinion. Couldn't even imagine going anywhere over 5k myself

Maxt
09-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Getting married cost me 50.00.... It wouldn't have cost me anything if I didn't have to pay the consulate general for his signature confirming my citizenship. Damn Canadian government can pick your pocket across an entire ocean..

dannie
09-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Weapon R has it correct. Head to the registry, get a marriage licence (approx $70), ask for the list of marriage commissioners in Calgary and area, call them and set up a time. My two favorites are Ron Kromm or Sue Saunders. Either does quickie weddings in your home or theirs, you supply the witnesses and you are good to go.

xxviet
09-09-2011, 09:47 PM
ive been to a mormon wedding everyone left after the first drink...it was water. :facepalm: maybe ure better off without one

ddduke
09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Why can't you just stay common law? What's the point of even getting married if you don't have a ceremony or anything. The only difference is that you paid $150 to sign a piece of paper. It's nothing more then a title if you don't celebrate it in any way.

BTW, I completely understand your logic behind why you don't want a wedding and I'd much rather save my money for a house, I just don't get why you need the title?

I already told my girlfriend to never expect a wedding/marraige out of me because it really doesn't mean shit besides potentially a cunt of a divorce.

EDIT- maybe read this thread
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/331939/lf-divorce-lawyer-recomendations-/

Thaco
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Weapon R has it correct. Head to the registry, get a marriage licence (approx $70), ask for the list of marriage commissioners in Calgary and area, call them and set up a time. My two favorites are Ron Kromm or Sue Saunders. Either does quickie weddings in your home or theirs, you supply the witnesses and you are good to go. sue did our, it was like $300 for a quick ceremony with like 20 family members... prolly cheaper if she just has to sign the papers.

taemo
09-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Exactly, it's all going into our next house once we sell our condo, and it was her idea to do it this way. :love:

she's a keeper :love:

chkolny541
09-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Why can't you just stay common law? What's the point of even getting married if you don't have a ceremony or anything. The only difference is that you paid $150 to sign a piece of paper. It's nothing more then a title if you don't celebrate it in any way.

BTW, I completely understand your logic behind why you don't want a wedding and I'd much rather save my money for a house, I just don't get why you need the title?

I already told my girlfriend to never expect a wedding/marraige out of me because it really doesn't mean shit besides potentially a cunt of a divorce.

Breaking up in certain common law relationships can be the exact same results as getting a divorce ya know:rofl: . eg. . spousal support, taking half your shit etc..

JordanLotoski
09-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by kvg
GO TO VEGAS!!!! It's cheap and you can make some memory's. Going to city hall sounds about as memorable as a trip to Walmart:dunno:

I got married in Vegas, went through the drive through. Cost me 700.00, my 10 anniversary is next summer:thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

I got married in Vegas, went through the drive through. Cost me 700.00, my 10 anniversary is next summer:thumbsup:

This must of been BEFORE you were a baller realtor. Cause I don't believe this would be the case since your so balling

hurrdurr
09-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Well he did spend $700 on a drive thru wedding...

JordanLotoski
09-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

This must of been BEFORE you were a baller realtor. Cause I don't believe this would be the case since your so balling

Actual I'm not a big wedding guy, nor is my wife. We are pretty low key. So I don't think it would have changed...wait instead of renting a prowler it might have been a Lamborghini .

Unknown303
09-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Just trying to make an honest woman out of her before we decide to get a kid brewing.

ddduke
09-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Just trying to make an honest woman out of her before we decide to get a kid brewing.

That's fair, I'm not ripping in to you or anything, just curious.

Unknown303
09-10-2011, 08:57 AM

That's fair, I'm not ripping in to you or anything, just curious.

Yeah no problem. We went through the whole spectrum of wedding ideas, we though of doing something moderately sized locally, but we didn't want to pay that much, so we looked at destination weddings, and once again there was some retarded prices coming back again which threw off my fiance, so we canned that idea. In the end we both came to grips with we just want to get married to really just get our families off our backs and so we can move on and do other things.

If I didn't propose we probably would have never worried about getting married I bet, but now that we're here we are just wrapping it up and getting on with other things in our lives.

kvg
09-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I have been married for over 10yrs and I think our wedding was $15k and it was a small one. We would have eloped if we were paying due to the out of pocket cost, but her parents wanted her to have a proper wedding and payed for the whole thing. I was just fucking with you earlier with the Walmart comment. My cousin did a what you want to do couple years ago and had a a big gathering after and it was still fun. We did the bachelor party the night before, don't try that at home kids! His wife still hasn't forgiven me (It was epic)

codetrap
09-10-2011, 09:27 AM

In the end we both came to grips with we just want to get married to really just get our families off our backs

I'm hoping that's not the only reason you're getting married. Also, one thing to keep in mind, the party isn't so much for you as it is for the family and friends to celebrate for you. At the bare minimum, I would suggest a BYOBeef BBQ and firepit so we can all celebrate your union. I know my mom and my wife's mom would have been disappointing if we hadn't done something. Women are like that, fantasizing about watching their kiddies getting hitched.

Unknown303
09-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

I'm hoping that's not the only reason you're getting married. Also, one thing to keep in mind, the party isn't so much for you as it is for the family and friends to celebrate for you. At the bare minimum, I would suggest a BYOBeef BBQ and firepit so we can all celebrate your union. I know my mom and my wife's mom would have been disappointing if we hadn't done something. Women are like that, fantasizing about watching their kiddies getting hitched.

We are planning a dinner with friends the day of and then finding a time to get family together afterwards. But neither of us are the type that feel we owe if to everyone to have some big gathering. We just don't really care, and what's funny is her grandmother suggested the eloping as I guess her great grandparents did just that back in the day. Ever since her Grandma was on board it's really made it a whole lot easier that's for sure.

And don't get me wrong, we do want to get married, we just don't give two shits about actually having a wedding is the thing I guess.. :dunno:

Cooked Rice
09-11-2011, 02:19 PM
A couple of my friends have recently got married without any sort of ceremony. Especially in these times it's kinda nice not having to spend 10+K on a wedding when there's obvious better things it could go towards as mentioned above, like putting it towards a fund for future children, house etc... Just do the get together with family as mentioned.

sexualbanana
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I have no knowledge of the process involved in getting married (adminstratively, I mean), so I'm not adding any value with this post. But I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

I've had some friends get married in very small and very big ceremonies. One of the things I've found is that, at some point, the couple who did a small-ish ceremony (if one at all) will look back and wish they had a bigger wedding. How much of that comes from seeing other people's weddings, I'm not sure.

On the flip side, I've known some couples who have had big, 500+ guest weddings and wished they had done something smaller. Because there were people there that they either didn't know at all or hadn't seen in many, many years.

So ultimately it comes down to whatever you guys are comfortable with.

Personally, I want the ceremony and all that jazz for my eventual day. I only get married once, so why not? Everyone has a good time, and I thirty years down the line, I get to tell my kids and their kids what my wedding was like. To this day, my friends and I reminisce about the wedding of one of our friends which happened 6 years ago.

Sugarphreak
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Xtrema
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
Well he did spend $700 on a drive thru wedding...

I would have demanded Elvis at that price.....

http://www.elvischapel.com/elvis.html

ga16i
09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, what someone said in a post above, you just need a license and a commissioner.

The license you can get at a registry, basically just says you guys are legal to marry each other. You do have to know your parent's name, birth city, etc, so grab all your documents before wasting your time.

Once you have license, the commissioner can marry you two.

Bring that license and a certificate signed by commissioner to the registry and a few weeks later you'll have a marriage certificate in the mail, it's a flimsy piece of paper about the size of driver's license. This piece of paper will make your life a lot easier if either one of you decides to change last name for driver's, Alberta health care, etc. Also for traveling too if the passports need name changing.

There's no such a thing as "going to cityhall" in Calgary for those interested :)

nickyh
09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
My wedding basically cost around $15K.

I bought most things second hand, yes - even the dress. The only splurge was on my engagement ring, wedding bands we went cheap - hopefully if finances allow we will upgrade those for a 10 or 15 year renewal.

We had about 60 people (close family / friends), and after all the wedding gift money, selling EVERYTHING (except the ring) the wedding basically cost around $1000.

it's not that I am not sentimental, I have pictures that take up less room that all the left over wedding stuff.
I would rather have gone to city hall and just gone out with my immediate family and his family after, a lot less stressful.

Team_Mclaren
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
If you are chinese, you would want to have a wedding. Invite as many asian guests as you can. You'll probably come out on top at the end.

just saying

Rat Fink
09-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Unknown303
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Damn shame that I'm white I guess....

Except for the fact that I can have a none wedding that only costs what it takes to complete the paperwork. :clap:

Thanks for the info guys.