PDA

View Full Version : How do you lowball without being a lowballer?

Pages : [1] 2

Cos
09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I have been following this car on Kijiji for about 3 months. The guy is overpriced and wont drop the price. He is asking $5000 and I figure I would buy it for $2800 or $3000. How do I offer him $2800 without being a total douche about it.

Also one thing I have going for it is that it is located in the middle of fucking nowhere too.

Advice? How do I go about this?

TomcoPDR
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
"Hi, I only have $2,800 in my bank account, will you take it?"

xDodge2x
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
go see the car in person and prove to him that its not worth as much as he's asking for. Look for rust.

beyond_ban
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Send me the link and i will low ball him so badly that your low ball will seem like a compliment. If this works, paypal me $50 and call it a day. Deal?

Cos
09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
"Hi, I only have $2,800 in my bank account, will you take it?"

Lol I was just thinking about doing that.

Originally posted by xDodge2x
go see the car in person and prove to him that its not worth as much as he's asking for. Look for rust.

Yeah I am thinking about going to look at it, but if he is firm on his price I am not going to waste my time to drive out there (3 hour drive from here). Also seems like a dick move to drive out and then lowball someone.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
Send me the link and i will low ball him so badly that your low ball will seem like a compliment. If this works, paypal me $50 and call it a day. Deal?

That may work.... haha. I am sure I can get a friend to do it for a beer though. Ill give you a 6-pack for the idea.

90_Shelby
09-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Go in person to see the vehicle and only bring what you're willing to pay in cash and be prepared to take the vehicle away. Money Talks.

beyond_ban
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos
That may work.... haha. I am sure I can get a friend to do it for a beer though. Ill give you a 6-pack for the idea.

You just lowballed my original offer so i think you are getting the hang of it. I am sure you'll be able to throw him an offer now sans negative feelings.

Mibz
If you can't justify that the car is worth what you're willing to pay, how do you know you're not being a lowballer?

Abeo
Make fake kijiji ads with the same type of car with less km for 3 grand, print off, show to him :D

Kidding aside, I would look at the car, and offer him the amount you are prepared to pay. Tell him that you don't think its worth 5K. Prepare to walk, too.

pf0sh0
09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Go in person to see the vehicle and only bring what you're willing to pay in cash and be prepared to take the vehicle away. Money Talks.

risky if the seller declines the offer, because now OP just drove 3 hours for no reason lol

Thaco
09-11-2011, 09:13 PM
offering like 60% is a lowball, no matter how you put it... but do it anyways... the worst he can do is ignore you... or make a mom joke..

Cos
09-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

You just lowballed my original offer so i think you are getting the hang of it. I am sure you'll be able to throw him an offer now sans negative feelings.

Haha.

Originally posted by Mibz
If you can't justify that the car is worth what you're willing to pay, how do you know you're not being a lowballer?

Well I know I am not being too bad because otherwise it would have been sold by now. It isnt worth the 5g's because it would have been snapped up already. 3 months is a long time. Also it is a non-turbo and a horrible colour. Both of those things would have to change. Nice colour turbo ones sell for $6000 or so.

Originally posted by Abeo
Make fake kijiji ads with the same type of car with less km for 3 grand, print off, show to him :D

Kidding aside, I would look at the car, and offer him the amount you are prepared to pay. Tell him that you don't think its worth 5K. Prepare to walk, too.

That is pretty sneaky. Never thought of that.

Yeah I dont want to be underhanded but he hasnt dropped his price and for the 5g there are other cars I would rather. For the $3000 or so it would be worth it.

Originally posted by Thaco
offering like 60% is a lowball, no matter how you put it... but do it anyways... the worst he can do is ignore you... or make a mom joke..

Yeah I agree I know it is low. I have just been waiting for him to drop his price off the 5g's though then it wouldnt have seemed so bad.

star-k
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I have been following this car on Kijiji for about 3 months. The guy is overpriced and wont drop the price. He is asking $5000 and I figure I would buy it for $2800 or $3000. How do I offer him $2800 without being a total douche about it.

Also one thing I have going for it is that it is located in the middle of fucking nowhere too.

Advice? How do I go about this?

No offence, asking this question is like being open minded about not being open mined.

How do you slap someone in the face and compliment them at the same time?

Many people feel if they cannot afford it, they won't lowball someone who is trying to make a sale.

Some ancient advice...
Karma is Karma.

botox
09-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Shoot the guy an email and say you are interested and to call you back at xxx-xxx-xxxx or give you their number so you can call. IMO talking personally with the guy makes a huge difference. Just don't be a straight up prick and say your car isn't worth that much blah blah, talk nicely and see what he has to say to back up the price he's asking.

Cos
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by star-k

No offence, asking this question is like being open minded about not being open mined.

How do you slap someone in the face and compliment them at the same time?

Many people feel if they cannot afford it, they won't lowball someone who is trying to make a sale.

Some ancient advice...
Karma is Karma.

So I should overpay for his car, that isnt worth it since no one else has bought it, so that Karma doesnt get me?

:nut:

Originally posted by botox
Shoot the guy an email and say you are interested and to call you back at xxx-xxx-xxxx or give you their number so you can call. IMO talking personally with the guy makes a huge difference. Just don't be a straight up prick and say your car isn't worth that much blah blah, talk nicely and see what he has to say to back up the price he's asking.

Yeah that is sort of the plan I am thinking about going with. It makes the most sense and it isnt a personal thing but I am not giving this guy 2g's just because he is nice (or maybe he isnt).

Sugarphreak
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM

hampstor
09-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Be direct with facts to back it up:

I believe your car is worth $XXXX. I believe this because of the market price as well as X, Y and Z which I noticed about your car. With that in mind, I am offering you $ZZZZ. Please let me know if you are interested in working to close a deal.

J-hop
09-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
People that try to pull the "I've got cash on hand" game piss me off to no end... seriously, when somebody comes to complete a deal from Kijiji and instead of bringing the agreed amount they start waving around half the money spouting "I got cold hard cash for you right here right now" line, what are they thinking? Were we going to do the deal in bottle caps or something? Of course it is going to be a cash deal you fucking twit.

Bahahaha, I know what you mean, so stupid. Yo I gotz cash in hand like a bawz.

You are going to have to call him and talk it out. Who knows maybe he doesnt really want to get rid of it. That would be my guess if he hasn't adjusted the price yet.

Zero102
09-12-2011, 07:18 AM
If he is way overpriced and isn't lowering it, and lists the price as firm he probably isn't in any hurry to sell. Some people list cars that they would like to keep for sale at a high price, so that if a buyer comes along they can make decent money off them, but they really don't want to sell.

If he is one of these people there is no way he will take your offer, but all you can do is try. Email him, or call him up if there is a number, ask him about it, and ask whether he is in any hurry to sell. Tell him what you think it's worth and don't be a dick about it.

I've turned down tons of lowball offers and never been mad at people if they are perfectly nice, so long as they don't waste my time. Just don't waste his time and you will be fine.

blitz
09-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

I believe your car is worth $XXXX. I believe this because of the market price as well as X, Y and Z which I noticed about your car. With that in mind, I am offering you $ZZZZ. Please let me know if you are interested in working to close a deal.

This.

Don't go out and waste your time and his time without seeing if he's stuck on the higher price.

spike98
09-12-2011, 08:02 AM

I also agree with this. Show him a vmrcanada.com report and comparable cars from the auto trader.

Spend some time on the email and word it in a professional manner so you dont come off as some douche wanting to lowball. If you can show him that his price really is inflated he might bite. Its also possible he will tell you to take off then after sleeping on it change his mind.

dirtsniffer
09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
details on the car?
i would suggest showing him some info on why his car is worth what before you drive 3 hours to look at it

ddduke
09-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Why aren't you showing us the car?

hampstor
09-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I should also add, always give the other side the option to discuss why they think it's worth more. In addition to what I said earlier, add "I understand you believe the vehicle is worth more and I am open to discuss the reasons for that". You should usually know enough about what you're buying to prepare a rebuttal.

It goes a long way to making someone feel better about it when you are low balling them.

I do this all the time as part of my job. :)

Kloubek
09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
As suggested in another post, I would first get in touch with him by phone. It is easy to press "delete" on an email you don't like, but harder to hang up on someone.

At that point, you can discuss your position, and it would be nice if you had examples you can offer to email him which show that his price is out of line - without actually having to say those words.

If he seems receptive to the fact it is worth far less than he is asking, then (and only then) might it be worth your time to go out and see it. At that point, having someone stand in front of you wish cash in his hand could be a persuasive sight, and he might be willing to let it go for less than he would have intended otherwise.

And my final tip: Always come in a couple hundred below what he ultimately wants, and be prepared to start walking back to your vehicle. Usually, people will cave or at the very least offer to meet you in the middle if it means the difference of only one or two hundred dollars.

max_boost
09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Most of the time I don't even make an offer.

I'll send an e-mail, establish some rapport i.e talk a bit about the vehicle, why I'm interested, ask for vehicle and service history etc. so buyer knows I'm serious. I'll just ask him how negotiable his price is or where he stands. I'll thank him for his time and move on.

I wanted to buy this SLK55 out of Ontario, mint, 06 with 16k but buyer wouldn't budge on his price so I just thanked him and moved along, no offer made.

jdmXSI
09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
You could have a hand full of friends (3-4) call of the period of a few days and make lower offers than what you are prepared to pay, ie: offers in the $2000-2400 range. Then you call him back a few days later with a justified price as to why it is not worth what he is asking. Maybe logic will set in that he isnt going to quite get what he is asking.

Mitsu3000gt
09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
People that try to pull the "I've got cash on hand" game piss me off to no end... seriously, when somebody comes to complete a deal from Kijiji and instead of bringing the agreed amount they start waving around half the money spouting "I got cold hard cash for you right here right now" line, what are they thinking? Were we going to do the deal in bottle caps or something? Of course it is going to be a cash deal you fucking twit.

I tell them to either go get the rest of the money from a bank (which I usually choose a meeting spot where one is nearby) or go home.

I'd say just be polite in your response, offer the amount you are willing to pay and either the guy says yes or no.

I totally agree, when people play the "$XX CASH" line on me, lowballing by 50 or 60% or whatever, I am FAR less likely to move on my price. If I know it will sell anyways, I'll stick to my asking price even more firmly and the guy will have wasted his time driving over. Most of the time the rest of the money magically appears lol. Personally I find it insulting, that they think, say, $5000 cash is more appealing than a $10,000 bank draft (just for example). I do not want that much cash haha, I am not a drug dealer.

To the OP:

You don't need to feel bad about "low-balling" if you can show him multiple comparable ads of people selling for less. It's not low-balling if he's the one who is grossly overpriced. If I tried to sell my car for $10,000 more than it's worth and someone offered me market value, they aren't low-balling me by $10,000.

codetrap
09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Because Cos knows better than to trust in Beyond. 50% of the guys here would start harassing the seller to lower his price just because they're douchbags.

freshprince1
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Just be honest. Do not trash talk his vehicle into a lower price...no one likes getting shit on.

Send over an email like this: "

Hi there, I am interested in your vehicle and have been shopping through comparable alternatives for a while. I can offer $2800. I understand this is below your asking price, but just wanted to see if you'd entertain an offer in that range from a serious buyer. Let me know if you'd like to meet."

ercchry
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
i think i found it :rofl:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Mazda-323-gtx-Hatchback-3-cars-for-sale-with-lots-of-parts-W0QQAdIdZ311994073

Disoblige
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Mazda-323-gtx-Hatchback-3-cars-for-sale-with-lots-of-parts-W0QQAdIdZ311994073
LOL!

jdmXSI
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM

That one said it is a turbo. From the op's post, he said the one he was looking at was a non-turbo.

Originally posted by Cos

Well I know I am not being too bad because otherwise it would have been sold by now. It isnt worth the 5g's because it would have been snapped up already. 3 months is a long time. Also it is a non-turbo and a horrible colour. Both of those things would have to change. Nice colour turbo ones sell for $6000 or so.

Sugarphreak
09-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Afrodeziak
09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Have multiple examples of the same car that go for the price you want to pay. Tell him when he comes to the sense that it's not worth what he wants, that you'll pay him in that ballpark.

If you've done your homework and know why a car is worth less than asking. Then you're not douchin' the guy.

Mibz
09-12-2011, 03:29 PM

I can't see COS getting behind the wheel of a RHD, so that leaves a pretty limited number of possible matches:

-Audi A6
-Toyota Supra

And of course:
-Toyota MR2

My money is on the MR2 My guess is Talon

Kloubek
09-12-2011, 03:37 PM
That was my first thought too.

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Holy crap guys. Go to the dentist and now I have to quote something like this! haha

Originally posted by pf0sh0

risky if the seller declines the offer, because now OP just drove 3 hours for no reason lol

Actually it would be 6 hours. It is 3 hours each way. Haha

Oh I am not 100% pulling the number out of my ass. I could probably justify $3500/$4000 but being that far away and some of the other issues with it I dont see it being worth that much of MY time.

Originally posted by blitz

This.

Don't go out and waste your time and his time without seeing if he's stuck on the higher price.

Exactly what I am hoping to do. Just want to be nice and fair to the guy while lowballing him. Haha

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
details on the car?
i would suggest showing him some info on why his car is worth what before you drive 3 hours to look at it

I may provide details.

Originally posted by ddduke

Because there actually are lots of sales of this type of car and this one seems like a bit of a gem. I am worried about someone going in with $4000 and showing the seller this thread. Haha

I should also add, always give the other side the option to discuss why they think it's worth more. In addition to what I said earlier, add "I understand you believe the vehicle is worth more and I am open to discuss the reasons for that". You should usually know enough about what you're buying to prepare a rebuttal.

It goes a long way to making someone feel better about it when you are low balling them.

I do this all the time as part of my job. :)

Hey if he can make it worth my while I would probably pay it. Just based on photos and the short history I dont think it is.

DAMMIT! :eek:

I can't see COS getting behind the wheel of a RHD, so that leaves a pretty limited number of possible matches:

-Audi A6
-Toyota Supra

And of course:
-Toyota MR2

My money is on the MR2

Haha Yeah no RHD for me. Even the car that I love has RHD versions I wont even look at. Ill give you guys a hint. If you find the post your first car thread.... it is my first car. And for you lazy bastards it has NOTHING to do with my username.

My guess is Talon

Nope. Hate those bastards.

Mibz
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Search on this forum fucking sucks. Tried "first car", "first + car", "first AND car" and ""first car"" and they all bring up single instances of fucking 'car'. I'm not weeding through every thread with 'car' in the title.

EDIT: Apparently no threads exist with "first" in the title. Moved on to "1st" and there's nothing.

And of course you've got 250 pages worth of posts yourself.

Just tell us the godamn car, jackass.

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Lol angry bastard:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Toyota-Supra-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ313295940

Edit: So the color sucks. The motor is rebuilt without receipts as far as I can tell. It is 1.5 from town (not sure where I got 3 hours, must have been all in trip), it has been for sale for a while, and overall appears to be good shape.

ercchry
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
it takes you 3 hours to get to cluny?! brooks is twice the distance and it takes me 1:30 :nut:

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:29 PM
it takes you 3 hours to get to cluny?! brooks is twice the distance and it takes me 1:30 :nut:

Yeah I put that in my post. Must have been 3 hours round trip I originally though.

You know as much as I travel around, I have never been to Cluny. Haha

G-ZUS
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
This car is in great shape we installed a replacement motor that had 94,000 km on it. It is a motor from a 1990 toyota supra. At that time we replaced the clutch. Since then we installed a new exhuast and other parts. Have receipts to show the parts and exhaust.. It has good tires, little to no rust, no cracks in windshield. Also has target top roof. $4700 OBO

It's the target roof top that makes it worth his asking price

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

It's the target roof top that makes it worth his asking price

But the color, his location, non-turbo, and the motor with no receipts or actual KM on the motor is a big detractor.

He replaced the motor 94,000km ago. I would like to know if it had 300,000km on it to begin with. Hence where I am getting my price from.

Usually cleaned up ones for for $5000 - $7000 and fully restored for $8000 - $10,000 (from what I have seen anyways). This doesnt really include RHD but does include some turbo ones.

Abeo
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a feeling that the car is rusty :/

Doesn't look spectacular from the pics... straight, yeah, but not cared for.

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a feeling that the car is rusty :/

Doesn't look spectacular from the pics... straight, yeah, but not cared for.

I dont expect MUCH for the $3000 - $5000 price point. Targa's usually rust really bad around the roof anyways. Add that to the normal spots (1/4's and rear wheel wells) it may need a bit of work. My plan would be to get it repainted anyways so I dont mind that too much.

Abeo
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I dont expect MUCH for the $3000 - $5000 price point. Targa's usually rust really bad around the roof anyways. Add that to the normal spots (1/4's and rear wheel wells) it may need a bit of work. My plan would be to get it repainted anyways so I dont mind that too much.

Again, though, the car isn't worth much more than 3 grand from the mileage standpoint alone. Paint will be 3 grand at least, so its worth your time to find one that is nicer in the first place.

edit:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2589200898.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2593184847.html

Cos
09-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Again, though, the car isn't worth much more than 3 grand from the mileage standpoint alone. Paint will be 3 grand at least, so its worth your time to find one that is nicer in the first place.

edit:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2589200898.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2593184847.html

There we go.... see now who's the lowballer! Haha That is why I was going to pay somewhere between 2800 and 3500.

I know it is worth less than the $5000.00 but I really needed advice on how to get him down before I drive out to Cluny just to even look at it.

gretz
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Cos

But the color, his location, non-turbo, and the motor with no receipts or actual KM on the motor is a big detractor.

He replaced the motor 94,000km ago. I would like to know if it had 300,000km on it to begin with. Hence where I am getting my price from.

$2800 offer seems fair... The fact that he has no proof of the swap / mileage seems sketchy (was the tranny replaced too?)
> hell, I could advertise my XL7 as having a swap it runs so good lol...

300000kms is a lot of wear and tear all rubber components > seals, window trims, etc... as well as the rest of the car

Abeo
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Cos

There we go.... see now who's the lowballer! Haha That is why I was going to pay somewhere between 2800 and 3500.

I know it is worth less than the $5000.00 but I really needed advice on how to get him down before I drive out to Cluny just to even look at it.

Take it from someone who spent his summer welding up an old, rusty japanese project car: its worth it to buy a clean chassis. I'd look at it, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was rust and crash damage free.

And really, its a NA MK3 supra. Those things aren't worth much anyways.

baygirl
09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Search on this forum fucking sucks. Tried "first car", "first + car", "first AND car" and ""first car"" and they all bring up single instances of fucking 'car'. I'm not weeding through every thread with 'car' in the title.

EDIT: Apparently no threads exist with "first" in the title. Moved on to "1st" and there's nothing.

And of course you've got 250 pages worth of posts yourself.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314669
/:hijack:

Cos
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by gretz

$2800 offer seems fair... The fact that he has no proof of the swap / mileage seems sketchy (was the tranny replaced too?)
> hell, I could advertise my XL7 as having a swap it runs so good lol...

300000kms is a lot of wear and tear all rubber components > seals, window trims, etc... as well as the rest of the car

That is where I got the number from. I figured $3000 was about right and $200 distance fee. Haha

Take it from someone who spent his summer welding up an old, rusty japanese project car: its worth it to buy a clean chassis. I'd look at it, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was rust and crash damage free.

And really, its a NA MK3 supra. Those things aren't worth much anyways.

True, thanks. I am looking for any project car really so I am open to everything. If I get something cheaper I want to have SOMETHING I need to fix. I do like to tinker.

Originally posted by baygirl

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314669
/:hijack:

Hey hey! Good job. Jesus I feel bad for you going through all that. Haha

Sugarphreak
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM

max_boost
09-13-2011, 10:38 AM

haha, I was so close!

However with your prior Porsche ambitions, I figured you would have gone for a mid-engine MR2 over a Supra. :werd:

Never driven MR2 before but everyone raves about how great they are.

star-k
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
If one can't afford it, they don't have sufficicent purchasing power.

If you go to the store, and something is listed with a price tag, thats how much it costs. Lowballing is like taking the product in your hand which is say $100 and going to the clerk, and saying, can I offer you $50 for this item? what do you think they will say.

G-ZUS
10-25-2011, 03:10 PM

If you go to the store, and something is listed with a price tag, thats how much it costs. Lowballing is like taking the product in your hand which is say $100 and going to the clerk, and saying, can I offer you $50 for this item? what do you think they will say.
:zzz:

JRSC00LUDE
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM

At least have the courtesy to troll a recent thread instead of going back five weeks to one that is irrelevant since OP bought a different car. For more money. At a price fair for the example.

Moran.

Cos
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

At least have the courtesy to troll a recent thread instead of going back five weeks to one that is irrelevant since OP bought a different car. For more money. At a price fair for the example.

Moran.

LOL exactly. It was never about the money but I am not going to buy a double wide trailer for $500,000 because I have that much available on my mortgage.

Disoblige
10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Ouch. haha

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
buy my 99 Acura EL 1.6 for $17,995.00 OBO feel free to send me a bit of a low ball, I just might take your low ball offer :rofl:

unknownsleeper
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
buy my 99 Acura EL 1.6 for $17,995.00 OBO feel free to send me a bit of a low ball, I just might take your low ball offer :rofl:

will you take $35.00 cash and a subway gift card, like a bawz!!!

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
All BS aside though. Most ppl on Beyond are the worst for low balling, when i was giving my old EF hatch away for a pack of smokes i got low balled and the guy just asked if he could have it cause he didnt have the money for smokes,LOL.

just offer him what you want to pay for it, if he says "no" then buy something that is in your price range.

xnvy
10-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Just offer him what you want to pay for it, if he says "no" then buy something that is in your price range. I would probably do this, but my bargaining skills are f***ing terrible.

Cos
10-25-2011, 09:22 PM
All BS aside though. Most ppl on Beyond are the worst for low balling, when i was giving my old EF hatch away for a pack of smokes i got low balled and the guy just asked if he could have it cause he didnt have the money for smokes,LOL.

just offer him what you want to pay for it, if he says "no" then buy something that is in your price range.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Moran.

asifka
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
If your email is too nice with too many details, he will think its a spam:thumbsdow

thetransporter
03-29-2017, 05:37 PM
sometimes things sit for a long, i have listed things for sale so they can be discounted. its like at the supermarket. but not always the case. low balling can be offensive sometimes but sometimes people list things (or offer a low ball) not knowing the value, they mean no harm

Buster
03-29-2017, 07:06 PM
I think the term is silly.

Markets discover prices through a bid/ask setup. People who get offended by low offers are people who don't work in a deal-making environment on a regular basis.

relyt92
03-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
sometimes things sit for a long, i have listed things for sale so they can be discounted. its like at the supermarket. but not always the case. low balling can be offensive sometimes but sometimes people list things (or offer a low ball) not knowing the value, they mean no harm How'd you even find this thread lol? Last post was like 5.5 years ago.

ExtraSlow
03-29-2017, 08:20 PM
If your feelings can be hurt when someone offers to purchase an item you are selling, I think the problem is with the seller. Maybe they should let an adult sell that item for them.

Thaco
03-29-2017, 10:17 PM
dat 6 year bump tho

dirtsniffer
03-29-2017, 10:21 PM
How do you lowball?

Make a bunch of fake ads for similar products with artificially low prices to use as fake comparibles for the seller.

My_name_is_Rob
03-29-2017, 10:22 PM

This thread is so old, yet somehow the information in it, is startlingly current. :eek:

Dumbass17
03-30-2017, 07:58 AM
I get so pissed off when I have something for sale on kijiji, at a great price and I get a message/email and the first message is "what is your lowest price?" Screw off, I posted the ad 2 minutes ago and you're already being cheap.
Or when people offer you less than half of what you're asking on an already stellar deal.
I love/hate kijiji.:banghead:

G-ZUS
03-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I get so pissed off when I have something for sale on kijiji, at a great price and I get a message/email and the first message is "what is your lowest price?" Screw off, I posted the ad 2 minutes ago and you're already being cheap.
Or when people offer you less than half of what you're asking on an already stellar deal.
I love/hate kijiji.:banghead:

Don't get me started on those "what is your lowest price?" goofs :banghead:

rx7boi
03-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Lowest price goofs are annoying as fuck haha.

jwslam
03-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob
This thread is so old, yet somehow the information in it, is startlingly current. :eek:
Lowballing isn't a new concept... I would be there were people who wanted to trade their two ears of corn and an egg for someone's cow.

Darkane
03-30-2017, 08:48 AM
I don't find the lowest price people annoying. They're actively seeking the sellers intention of bargaining prior to dropping the "offensive" 40 cents on the dollar offer.

The world works on haggling. I've sold almost all my cars with a simple line of:

"At xxxxx.xx this vehicle is a great deal, and you know it". Stupid as it sounds the verbal cues you drop while they're looking at the vehicle is what sells.

Another example: I sold my GTR and the tires were 6/32 (7-8/32 is absolutely brand new). As the buyer was trying to nitpick I simply suggested to myself but mostly to him "man It looks like I barely drove on these tires, I didn't get MY money's worth at all, At $2600 for four".

After that he sort of looked at me. He might have though we'll if the tires are hardly worn maybe the rest of the car IS as mint as he said. And it was anyway.

Last thing: Anyone selling a highway mileage vehicle - ask how many times the rear brakes have been replaced. That's my favourite. The answer should be none or once only. That's it.

G-ZUS
03-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
I don't find the lowest price people annoying. They're actively seeking the sellers intention of bargaining prior to dropping the "offensive" 40 cents on the dollar offer.

The world works on haggling. I've sold almost all my cars with a simple line of:

Yes, don't get me wrong - the world does work on haggling. But when their first question is "what's your lowest price?", it's annoying. Why not come see it first and give me YOUR highest price? Why would I drop my price right off the bat?

gretz
03-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Lowest price goofs are annoying as fuck haha.

Wowwwww, bump from the past

Why are they annoying? You list a price, often for more than the number you have in your head... if someone asks what your lowest price is and shows up to purchase your vehicle for the number you had in mind, is that a bad thing?

I always ask what number the seller has in mind to avoid "lowballing" and showing up with less cash / bank draft in hand than what was discussed.

When I sold both my 350z and s13, i had lots of "whats your best price bro" emails, to which i provided what i wanted to get out of the vehicle, to which serious buyers showed up with that number knowing not to bring less and waste their trip.

Abeo
03-30-2017, 09:12 AM

:eek:

That post was making fun of greasy kijiji buyers...

But yeah, seeing the 370z thread and the girl doing the fake ads makes this relevant, unfortunately

Darkane
03-30-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Yes, don't get me wrong - the world does work on haggling. But when their first question is "what's your lowest price?", it's annoying. Why not come see it first and give me YOUR highest price? Why would I drop my price right off the bat?

Because nobody prices themselves at a disadvantage off the bat. If they reply politely then you have some leverage as a buyer.

I prefer to use kijiji emails for questions about the vehicle and the "what's your lowest price" or "are you flexible on the price" type questions over the phone. Then go see the vehicle.

If it's something I really feel strongly about I'll go see them asap and just work the person.

flipstah
03-30-2017, 09:24 AM
As a seller, I'd rather hear that they're going/wanting to lowball me BEFORE meeting them and wasting time.

SKR
03-30-2017, 10:06 AM

Wowwwww, bump from the past

Why are they annoying? You list a price, often for more than the number you have in your head... if someone asks what your lowest price is and shows up to purchase your vehicle for the number you had in mind, is that a bad thing?

I always ask what number the seller has in mind to avoid "lowballing" and showing up with less cash / bank draft in hand than what was discussed.

When I sold both my 350z and s13, i had lots of "whats your best price bro" emails, to which i provided what i wanted to get out of the vehicle, to which serious buyers showed up with that number knowing not to bring less and waste their trip.

I 100% of the time either reply with "what's your highest price", or a price higher than what's in the ad. Last year I listed my quad for $6500 and everybody who asked me what's my lowest price got told $7500. I've never had an issue selling anything to normal people so I don't worry about the lowest price guys.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Sure, asking about the lowest price before you have viewed the item is kind of rude, but suck it up.
For selling vehicles, I usually just tell them to come take a look so they can see how fair my price is. When buying, I find I have better leverage when I've already driven it and looked it over. I don't mind negotiating via email or text, have bought a few cars that way hours after the test drive. I don't see that as lowballing, since I'm 100% serious about purchasing the vehicle by the time I get to that stage.

Some people don't know the value of the item they are selling, so I don't mind educating them a little. If they don't want to learn, I also don't mind if they choose not to sell the item.

HiTempguy1
03-30-2017, 10:29 AM
I sometimes ask what the person's lowest price is so I don't waste my time :dunno:

Might as well see if there is remotely common ground. Also, most of you assholes don't remotely have a f*&king clue what the real value of a car is (see: Beyond's marketplace which I haven't used in years) :p

But how to lowball without being a lowballer? If you are serious about said lowball, go negotiate in person, make the offer, flash the cash (always helps weed out the desperate people), and if they say no or get huffy, tell them "you have my phone number, you have my offer, when its not sold in two weeks, give me a call" and then leave.

The biggest thing is you can't NEED the item you are looking for. Only want.

Rocket1k78
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Im such a hypocrite because iill get pissy about being lowballed but here i am being the same dbag:D on kijiji.

You cant just up and lowball or ask the lowest price right off the bat. You need to prove to the buyer you're serious before you lowball and by then hopefully theyre beyond fed up with the dead beats and accept your lowball lol

jwslam
03-30-2017, 03:48 PM
1. Sees your price of $100
2. Lowballs and says $60
3. You agree to $80
4. He sees a scratch and says it's only worth $50
5. He only has $40 cash in his pocket

:banghead: :banghead:

gretz
03-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Im such a hypocrite because iill get pissy about being lowballed but here i am being the same dbag:D on kijiji.

You cant just up and lowball or ask the lowest price right off the bat. You need to prove to the buyer you're serious before you lowball and by then hopefully theyre beyond fed up with the dead beats and accept your lowball lol

Why do you need to prove anything? You haven't even made an offer to be considered a lowball and are wondering what they are realistically trying to get out of their item for sale... People get too sensitive it seems lol

I sold my 350z this way, kijiji emails asking lowest price, to which i would politely respond with my number... A guy came down with a bank draft and after everything checked out, it was a done deal... No haggling, pissing, moaning; here's my number, take it or leave it, its simple

When I bought my truck, i asked the same question posed to me... The seller said his asking price was the bottom line, I showed up with his "bottom line" in hand, everything checked out, simple

Why is it insulting to the ladies on here when someone wants to know, realistically, what you would take for your item?

SKR
03-30-2017, 04:02 PM
I just don't get why if you have a number in your head, you wouldn't just list it for that. If you're going to ask one price and then immediately drop to another as soon as someone asks, what's the point of even trying the higher number?

Buster
03-30-2017, 04:12 PM
I've take a few negotiations theory courses (I'm exciting at parties). And the actual process is fascinating from a psychology point of view.

gretz
03-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SKR
I just don't get why if you have a number in your head, you wouldn't just list it for that. If you're going to ask one price and then immediately drop to another as soon as someone asks, what's the point of even trying the higher number?

Because there is "market value" and the real worth of any item > "what someone is willing to pay for it"

Are you saying price listings should be non-negotiable? Have you ever sold something for less than your "asking" price?

HiTempguy1
03-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Because used items differ in value to different people.

Pretty good negotiating tactic is to play different buyers off each other.

I have an item for $1k. A potential buyer offers $800. Another potential buyer says $900.

I tell the $800 offer I can get $900, so they can do $950 or no deal.

Its a bit of a risk if you piss everyone off, but really, negotiating/bartering is all about how desperate you are.

SKR
03-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Because there is "market value" and the real worth of any item > "what someone is willing to pay for it"

Use more words, because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I understand the strategy from the buyer's point of view. I just don't know why the seller would ever answer that. Unless it's been on the market for a while, but even then I would have a hard time giving that out without at least hearing a counter offer first.

Negotiations I understand, from the seller's point of view:
Seller: "I'm asking $40,000."
Buyer: "Would you take $30,000?"
Seller: "No, $30,000 is too low, I can come down to $37,500."
Buyer: "That seems like a lot, but I can come up to $32,500."
Seller: "No, the lowest I could go is $35,000."
Buyer: "Okay I'll take it."

Negotiations I don't understand, from the seller's point of view:
Buyer: "What's the lowest you'll go?"
Seller: "Lowest I can go is $35,000."
Buyer: "I'll take it."

At least in the first scenario you might get a little more. In the second you won't, and if that truly is the lowest you'll go, the point where you'll keep it if you don't get that price, I don't know why you wouldn't just start there. You'll either get $35k or you won't.

Am I just dumb? I feel like I must be, because I don't get it at all.

SKR
03-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Because used items differ in value to different people.

Pretty good negotiating tactic is to play different buyers off each other.

I have an item for $1k. A potential buyer offers $800. Another potential buyer says $900.

I tell the $800 offer I can get $900, so they can do $950 or no deal.

Its a bit of a risk if you piss everyone off, but really, negotiating/bartering is all about how desperate you are.

Well yeah, but is that what we're talking about here (maybe it is, see post above, I might be dumb)? When you have buyers actually making offers, I get that. But when you have something for $1k, and buyer 1 comes with what's your lowest price and you tell him $700, you're leaving $100 on the table from him and $200 from buyer 2. Maybe even $250, if you could have played them against each other. That's what I don't get by answering "what's the lowest you'll go".

SKR
03-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Just to make things clearer for me, when you're giving out your lowest price, that's the absolute lowest, won't-sell-if-you-get-less price, right? Like, if you're selling something for $1000 and I ask what's the lowest you'll go, and you say $700, then that's it, if I counter with $650 there's absolutely no way you'll take it? Because if your "lowest price" isn't actually as low as you'll go, then I get that. I still wouldn't use it as a tactic myself, but I get it.

But if it's down to "if I don't get $700 I'll keep it", and you're going to answer the inevitable question honestly, I don't get the point of asking $1000.

I'm starting to wonder if I understand anything.

Dumbass17
03-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Use more words, because I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I understand the strategy from the buyer's point of view. I just don't know why the seller would ever answer that. Unless it's been on the market for a while, but even then I would have a hard time giving that out without at least hearing a counter offer first.

Negotiations I understand, from the seller's point of view:
Buyer: "Would you take $30,000?"
Seller: "No, $30,000 is too low, I can come down to $37,500."
Buyer: "That seems like a lot, but I can come up to $32,500."
Seller: "No, the lowest I could go is $35,000."
Buyer: "Okay I'll take it."

Negotiations I don't understand, from the seller's point of view:
Buyer: "What's the lowest you'll go?"
Seller: "Lowest I can go is $35,000."
Buyer: "I'll take it."

At least in the first scenario you might get a little more. In the second you won't, and if that truly is the lowest you'll go, the point where you'll keep it if you don't get that price, I don't know why you wouldn't just start there. You'll either get $35k or you won't.

Am I just dumb? I feel like I must be, because I don't get it at all.
In scenario 2, if the seller would've said the lowest he'd go is 35k. The buyer would probably say, "well I don't get paid til Tuesday and I have to sell my Pokemon cards first, could you lend it to me for free until I can afford to pay the rest, and if I change my mind I'll give it back and give you a free broken iPhone 3g?"

J-hop
03-30-2017, 08:04 PM
K guys we still haven't solved why thetransporter bumped a 5.5+ year old thread :rofl:

ExtraSlow
03-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Buster
I've take a few negotiations theory courses (I'm exciting at parties). And the actual process is fascinating from a psychology point of view. 100% fascinating to me as well. I am also very popular at parties. Wanna make out?

Originally posted by SKR
.........I'm starting to wonder if I understand anything. There is no spoon bro.

Originally posted by J-hop
K guys we still haven't solved why thetransporter bumped a 5.5+ year old thread :rofl: What's the oldest thread he'll bump?

My_name_is_Rob
03-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Lowballing isn't a new concept... I would be there were people who wanted to trade their two ears of corn and an egg for someone's cow.

My comment was mostly in regards to the old post that I quoted. I'll need at least four ears of corn, and two eggs for my cow. :D

:eek:

That post was making fun of greasy kijiji buyers...

But yeah, seeing the 370z thread and the girl doing the fake ads makes this relevant, unfortunately

I was casually reading through it thinking it was a new thread, and that your original post was based on that 370 thread. I didn't notice the date until I hit the second page, and then my mind was boggled.

jwslam
03-31-2017, 08:13 AM
I'll need at least four ears of corn, and two eggs for my cow. :D
I dunno man... your cow doesn't know how to cook and she's pretty used and abused... plus she talks a lot. How about one ear of corn?