PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger for Mustang GT

msouther
09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I just wanted to ask some advice from knowledgable Beyonders, as I have no clue about performance, repair etc. with vehicles. Things that are included in these kits also don't mean anything to me as I am a noob about it.

I am just trying to figure out two things:

1) What is the best supercharger kit to buy for a 2012 Mustang GT?

I did a quick Google search and came across Roush 700HP, Stage 3 Motorsports adds 165HP totalling 577HP, Ford Racing 624HP

2) Where in Calgary can you get this installed and what sort of charge should a person expect?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide.

Shlade
09-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Really all depends what you want out of the car.

If I was running the new 5.0 Id get the whipple for it. IMO best looking blower for the new cars yet. 2.3 would add a nice amount of power. If you plan on doing more upgrades to the car later Id right off the bat get the 2.9 crusher from Lethal Performance right away. Saves you a bunch of money if you plan on upgrading later on.

Given the Roush is a great supercharger also. Im guessing thats the TVS.

Dont knock out the centris quite yet tho. Check out the procharger. Several guys running 600+ on the net with a procharger kit.

For installs I reccomend only Tim from Zero to 60. Hes the only guy other than western motorsports that I would let touch my car.

Id say your looking at around 7-9k for the install and supercharger.

Are there any other mods done to the car yet? Dont forget youll need a nice dyno tune to get the fullest out of the car. Exhaust would always help open the car up more too.

EDIT: Check out s197forum.com

The best forum for S197 mustangs out there. Great board members, but be sure to use the search function on there.. a lot of topics have already been covered. And stay away from tuner kits (They look cheaper but theres a reason for that) read the descriptions well if your ordering online. Dont be afraid to give some places a call.

lethalperformance.com
americanmuscle.com
blowbyracing.com
latemodelrestoration.com
wmsracing.com

Just a few names to give you an idea about shopping :) hope this helps you any

msouther
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't done any mods to it and honestly would like to keep it stock for the most part other than the Supercharger kit. This might just sound like little testicles syndrome, but I would like to have a Mustang that doesn't look like it could kick your ass, but if it wanted to it could. I bought the 3.73 gears ratio and Brembo package when I bought the car.

I guess what I would ask is which Supercharger would you go with if you were just planning on doing that and leave it at that? I will admit some of your lingo above is over my head too :facepalm:

Shlade
09-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey man no worries honestly.

You have to start somewhere... surf the forum I posted for you and you will quickely learn more and more about these cars.

If your willing to drop the coin id get the 2.3 whipple full kit which will come with the proper stuff thats needed to install on the car.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-mustang-gt-5-0l-superchargers-ford-racing-c-8486_10324_10377/frpp-2011-5-0l-525hp-2-3l-supercharger-complete-kit-black-p-34947

Just remember adding any supercharger on your car will void the warranty (if you even plan on modding a car you should be well prepared to say screw the warranty anyways)

as far as keeping it stock looking thats the easiest thing to do on the mustang honestly.

What are your plans with the car first and foremost tho? Visit the drag strip every now and then? Street car that you just wanna beat on some other cars on the street? Track?

I always think a set of lower control arms for those cars are the best (I ran steeda lower control arms on my 08 Bullitt and it hooked great)

Your opening a big can of worms my friend haha. Once you start modding the mod buck will strike in every direction. It will never be enough lol

If I were modding this car and it was mine heres what Id do,

2.3 whipple
offroad x pipe
borla stinger axelbacks
steeda sport springs
koni shocks
steeda lower control arms
rear sway bar
mgw shifter

Im sure id do more but thats just the stuff at the top of my head

Cos
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Why not the factory ford racing supercharger? I believe it even has a warranty as long as you dont got for 600 WHP

Shlade
09-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I may of missed this but I didnt know ford racing offered warranty for the GT`s for that. Im not even sure they have it for the GT500?

Cos
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
I may of missed this but I didnt know ford racing offered warranty for the GT`s for that. Im not even sure they have it for the GT500?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/313555/2011-mustang-5-0l-supercharger-kit-from-ford-racing/

Shlade
09-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Very impressive...

thats an even better route if hes going to stay 100% stock outside of the supercharger.

Given tho if you add any more mods then the warranty is gone either way.

msouther
09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. I did a search but didn't find that link you posted up Cos so I appreciate that. I will check over that forum you posted too Shlade and try to better educate myself as well. I won't be doing anything until next Spring so I will spend the next while doing research and weighing options out.

I remember when I was looking for my current vehicle, I stumbled across a 2012 GT that was having the Supercharger installed locally and available for sale. Don't remember any other details surrounding this though unfortunately. I believe it was the Ford Racing one though.

stevo 27
09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
forget the supercharger and go with a turbo set-up

ercchry
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Very impressive...

thats an even better route if hes going to stay 100% stock outside of the supercharger.

Given tho if you add any more mods then the warranty is gone either way.

to void warranty on any repair they must first prove that either neglect, abuse or a non-oem part was the cause of the failure. so no, modding your car does not mean you have 0 warranty

Shlade
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
flash your computer settings with a diablo tuner or a sct and let me know what the tell you.

Theyll tell you to go pound salt. Running an intake on these new S197s requires a tune now. So yes, it will void your warranty if your getting into engine modifications.