PDA

View Full Version : CAI question

nguyen
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
I just installed a K&N CAI into my car, it's an acura 2005 tsx. Should i be worried in the winter if i'm driving this car in terms of hydrolock? it came with the dry sock but driving in winter with like 2ft of snow consistently does have me raising questions on if i should install the stock one back for the winter and change it back out again seasonally. pain in the ass, but rather do that then risk major damage to the engine.

n1zm0
09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
there was a situation at the stealership i remember where a TSX had an injen CAI and drove through a puddle, full out hydrolock even with the hydro guard filter or w/e they call it, this was through a still puddle mind you and a super SMRT owner...

but lots of ppl still run CAIs yearly, just keep an eye out for slush and puddles and how you approach them in relation to where about the filter is located.

nguyen
09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
hmm...it's behind my bumper near the left fender. there may be some crevices that water can get through, but to get a full hydroloock like that i'm just wondering how fast they ran into the puddle...

GQBalla
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes I would be worried but yeah people run them all year round.

Does your CAI turn into a SRI?

just make the swap and be safe

Disoblige
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Hydrolock is possible but IMO rare unless you are truly careless. If you are aware that you have a CAI and drive accordingly, then you should be ok.

The issue you should be aware of is that it will get extremely dirty, dirty to the point where you'll need to immediately wash it after Winter because if you do daily driving, it will be caked. This also depends where the filter is located, but typically you will see it in the lower wheel well area.

nguyen
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
definately is in the lower left wheel area behind the bumper. if worse comes to worst i'll just convert it to a sri for the winter. or just place the stock one back into the engine. i was hoping to not deal with the hassle but that's better than a fucked up engine.

Heru-Farukon
09-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Yes I would be worried but yeah people run them all year round.

Does your CAI turn into a SRI?

just make the swap and be safe

:werd: I would just convert it into an SRI for it to be safe.

My intake was originally suppose to be a CAI but I just went to SRI

triplep
09-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by nguyen
definately is in the lower left wheel area behind the bumper. if worse comes to worst i'll just convert it to a sri for the winter. or just place the stock one back into the engine. i was hoping to not deal with the hassle but that's better than a fucked up engine.

Shouldn't be a problem, I run my CAI all year round (Rain/sun/snow). It also sounds like it is in the exact same place as in my Accord, and I have never ever had a problem with it.

You should be fine, the only thing that I do is avoid driving through huge puddles...