PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy pork shoulder butt?

blktopbig28
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
hey guys,

I'm gonna buy a Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker tomorrow and what to give pulled pork a try. Anybody know of places to buy cheap pulled pork butt? I called some of the popular butchers around town and holy crap it's like $6-7 a pound. Don't wanna spend that much one a piece of meat when I'm trying it out for the first time.

I went to TNT and they have pork shoulder collar bone cut but it's only in 3 pound sections ($3/pound). I tried Costco (NW) but they don't have it. Tried Coop too but they only have boneless 3-4 pound sections. Want to know if there's a good place to get like a 7-9 pound shoulder at a good price.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

VWEvo
09-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately it seems like your gonna pay around $6/lb around here. Go to Bon Ton Meat Market, they may not be cheap, but you will get exactly what your looking for.

The Weber Smoky Mountain is amazing (I have one), just watch a couple of YouTube video's on how to smoke a Pork Shoulder and you will be fine. I just did a 6 lb one this weekend it turned out incredible. Make sure you give it enough time, 1.5 hrs/ lb, and in my case a little longer than that. Dont' forget a meat thermometer.

Good Luck!!

ricosuave
09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Just go to any butcher shop!

LadyLuck
09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Check out a place in the SE called Illichmanns Sausage shop, its a euro deli with import foods as well. Everything is made in house and they also have their own smoke houses on site as well. Family has been going there for years, they do custom orders and cutting as well. Give them a shout for a price quote, ask for Ken hes the owner and cuts all the meat himself.

1840 36 Street Southeast
(403) 272-1673

lint
09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
why wouldn't you pay $3/lb for a 3lb section if you're trying it out for the first time instead of trying to find a cheap 7-9 lb cut?

Guillermo
09-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I've bought it from Sobey's before, but they don't always have it. check their flyer, it goes on sale occasionally for super cheap (that's when I stock up on it).

illtim3d
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
with all the driving around you've done to find it cheaper price, you spent the money in gas :dunno:

blktopbig28
09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks to all those that helped. I ended up getting a 9 pound shoulder butt from TNT. They had uncut ones behind the counter.

r3ccOs
09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
WSM bullet rocks!

That being said, I would do a high heat method, and all you will need is foil, being that a juicy butt has more than enough fat to braise itself in the foil.

12+ hours is way too long to wait for BBQ lol

I buy my pork butt from master meats, but if you don't need a full butt, I'd just grab any specials from any supermarket including T&T

I prefer wood chunks and I placed the prepp'd meat as soon as the hot coals are put on the unlit (minion style method) I stay with lump as its much more pure, and will add a deeper flavor without that chemical taste that briquettes will.

remember that meat will only truely absorb smoke until its internal temp reaches 145f, so any more smoke, or low heat is really not required to finish it to completion.

Cheers

VWEvo
09-14-2011, 08:54 PM
When I first started smoking meats on my Bradley, I had smoke the whole time. Now, I just usually smoke for the first couple of hours. I do tend to go with 250 degrees and foil around 3-4 hrs. So far Apple wood and Hickory have given me amazing flavor.

Dave P
09-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Superstore usually has them