PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Dealership

msommers
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
What is the most reputable Toyota dealer in town? After calling Country Hills Toyota and talking to someone in service, it seems that if I do my own maintenance, according to him no dealer will honor the warranty because there would be maintenance records missing from the Toyota's service database. I'm waiting to hear back from the service manager and should probably call Toyota Canada about this. But if I end up getting screwed and have to go to the dealer, I'd like to know which is the best (Think Brasso for Nissan).

A790
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
No factory warranty allows you to do your own maintenance.

I've always had good experiences with Canyon Meadows Toyota for maintenance. They were good to me when I used to own a Corolla.

CapnCrunch
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd take my Toyota to Brasso.

CapnCrunch
09-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by A790
No factory warranty allows you to do your own maintenance.

You sure about that? Mine says it's fine right in the owners manual.

max_boost
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Just log everything. Keep receipts, days you switched out your oil/fluids/filters etc. Take a picture with time stamp and load it on to your computer etc. haha

Dealers make their money in service your car, everyone from the parts/service/mechanic rely on you to take your car in, of course they are going to say, it "may" void your warranty.

:D

ExtraSlow
09-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Every automaker honours warranty IF you can prove the maintenence is done.

Receipts and a logbook should be sufficient.

The guy you spoke to is either a) uninformed or b) lying.

nixrx8
09-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I've never had issues with the service department at Stampede Toyota

94boosted
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

This.

You should be able to change your own oil, air filter, cabin filter and rotate your own tires without any hassle from the service department just keep all of your receipts and make sure you log the km's.

n1zm0
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

so just receipts and logbook entries needed you think, no pics or w/e? i've always been curious about diy scheduled maintenance on your own car vs dealer warranty.

msommers
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Spoke with the service manager and yes, keeping a log book and receipts is sufficient, which is a relief. 70 bucks for an oil change is retarded.

Capncrunch, please PM me if you have issues. I noticed you made some Dbag comment in another thread as well.

ExtraSlow
09-14-2011, 01:59 PM
This question is a lot clearer in the USA where they have the " Magnuson Moss Warranty Act ( Wiki LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act) )
I haven't been able to find a compareable act in Canada, btu I belive provincial consumer protection laws will basically uphold the spirit of this law.

Masked Bandit
09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Spoke with the service manager and yes, keeping a log book and receipts is sufficient, which is a relief. 70 bucks for an oil change is retarded.

$70 for an oil change? Is that synthetic or something? I'm assuming not plain old Dino juice?

Rat Fink
09-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Chantastic
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
How would you prove you did the tire rotation if the tires are still looking really new? Not liek you have to pay anything to do it yourself so you won't have any receipts. Would a visual inspection do it? Or would you have to take a photo of it being done?

msommers
09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

$70 for an oil change? Is that synthetic or something? I'm assuming not plain old Dino juice?

I honestly don't know. The 4Runner takes 6.2L of oil w/ filter so I reckon it isn't synthetic. All my owner's manual mentions is "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" which I don't know what it is relabeled from.

I swung by Charlesglen Toyota here in the NW and they have a printout of the estimated maintenance costs. Some of the stuff isn't specific in the least but has a cost down to the cent! For example at 32,000km I have:

Maintenance Service - $191.45
Brake Service - $80.50
Lubricate propellor shaft - $23.00
Replace cabin air filter - $55.95
Tighten propellor shaft bolts - included

After searching online, it's is just a repeat of what Toyota has on their website. Interestingly, I called about the cabin filter. It's $32.xx which means they charge an install fee which is absolute garbage because you open the glovebox and literally pull it out!

Chantastic
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Interestingly, I called about the cabin filter. It's $32.xx which means they charge an install fee which is absolute garbage because you open the glovebox and literally pull it out!

That's why they call them stealerships

msommers
02-05-2014, 02:01 AM
Thought I'd follow up my own thread with some positive news.

I've taken my Toyota in twice to Heninger and both times has been smooth sailing. Once was for a brake flush and today was a major service doing a bunch of stuff I had no interest in doing myself: Tranny fluid, PS fluid, brake fluid, oil change (hey my garage is outside!), general inspection etc. I even opted to get the serpentine belt changed because I'm at 100K but the tech even said it wasn't necessary. Easy drop-off and pick up service from the dealership to my place in Killarney. Really friendly staff and absolutely no issues when I said I do my own service at home.

After hearing a lot of horror stories about dealerships, I'm honestly quite surprised and pleased to say I'd recommend going to Henginer if you need Toyota service. I believe the service clerk I dealt with today was Andrew.

BokCh0y
02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
I've personally dealt with Heninger and South Pointe and I've had nothing but excellent, upfront and honest service.

In my opionion, the worst experience I've had at any Toyota dealership was Charlesglen, I haven't been there now for close to 10+ years. I won't even head in to grab a part they have instock, I'd rather order and wait for it to arrive anywhere else.

+1 for Heninger.

Axe
02-05-2014, 01:58 PM
+1 for Stampede Toyota. Bought new and for the last 5 years have had servicing done through there.

Never any issues; always very polite/personable and have always checked with me before replacing items. Have only missed delivery time once in the four years I've been going there.

SkiBum5.0
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Just as an fyi, apparently 4Runners do use synthetic oil and hence the $70 oil change (oW20). Personally I'm glad they do on morning starts like this week.

Heisenbergh
10-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Heninger and South Pointe are by far the two worst Toyota dealership's to deal with.

Brian Heninger always had a bad reputation in the car business, and his father Jack was even worse. Brian now only owns a small percentage (5-10%) of the dealership, having sold a majority of the store to a new ownership group which is just as dishonest and untrustworthy.

Brian Heninger tried many time's to get a Lexus franchise. but was always turned down by Toyota because he such a crook.

IMHO, if you want to buy a Toyota, go to Charlesglen or Cochrane.

Colin_R6
10-26-2016, 09:19 AM
I used to have an '07 Tacoma, it used the same cab air filter as a Pontiac Vibe, which you can buy online for about $4.00 each.

Your 4Runner might have some different compatibility as well, do your research!

nzwasp
10-26-2016, 11:37 AM
I took my toyota recently to get serviced at henniger and they a) used a different rotor in my brakes which then didnt allow my winter tires to fit and b) told me my tires were completely fine even though one had a nail stuck in it and the pressure was down to 15.

I think i might be going back to charlesglen for maintenance even though henninger is only 5 mins from work.

klumsy_tumbler
10-26-2016, 12:06 PM
+1 for Cochrane Toyota

J-hop
10-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I've seen people who have kept a maintenance binder where they keep receipts of the oil and oil filters, and they clearly write the mileage and date of the oil change on the receipts and never had a problem.

I have seen cases where warranty was questioned over repairs where cheap oil filters may have been the cause of the failure......so make sure you use a filter purchased from your dealer. Dealers will often give you a price break if you buy more than 1 filter at a time anyways which often makes them comparable to the cost of some shitty fram junk.

If your engine shits the bed, the manufacturer may request proof of maintenance records which is why you will want an organized method of presenting them (keep them in a binder). We have hutterites who come into Ford all the time for warranty work and they do all their own oil changes out on the colony but maybe import dealers are more strict?

Run it by the service manager and if they are pricks about it, call another dealership or write Toyota canada and see what they say.

Also, to add. I would follow the "extreme service" intervals listed in your owners manual if you are doing your own service......not sure if Toyota shows shorter intervals like that for oil changes?? That way you will cover your ass even more to prove your vehicle is well maintained.

Yea I know with my VW only certain oils are "certified" for use in my vehicle. Not that it has a warranty anymore but the castrol syntec (I think now edge) was at one point one of the only easily available oils that was approved. I doubt if you used a non-approved oil they would honour an engine warranty in the end.

Don't know why people use cheap oil filters, the price difference is literally pocket change. With some of those cheap ones I've found the size isn't always exactly same and sometimes they have really sloppy threading on the "multi application" cheapos. Just buy OEM!!!!