PDA

View Full Version : Review: Calypso's Taverna

supe
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Calypso's Taverna

This place is definitely on my favorite list and so I thought I'd share it with you. Me and the gf love our Greek food and Calyspo was a very pleasant surprise for us. I'll mention first that I'm not Greek so I can't attest to authenticity but from reading other reviews, most people think so.

Food rating 5/5
I've been to Calyspo a few times now. For lunch Calypso's has a different menu just for lunch. My co-workers swear by the Greek club house and I assure you its enough to satisfy any appetite. They order it every time. I personally really like the Calypso salad which is my favorite salad anywhere. It comes with grilled chicken and a vinaigrette dressing.

For an appetizer you have to try the calamari here. I'm usually not a big fan of calamari, but I think its the tzatziki sauce which is probably the best tzatziki I've had.

If you're looking for an authentic dish, try the mousaka. From the Calypso menu "Layers of grilled eggplant, zucchini and sliced potato with a layer of seasoned meat sauce. Topped with a creamy bechamel sauce". I have tried home made mousaka from a Greek friend of mine and this one is very similar.

What me and the gf normally do is double date and we all share the Combination platter for two with a few appys which easily serves four and you get to try a little bit of everything. The combination platter comes with pita with that great tzatziki dipping sauce, roasted lamb that is melt in your mouth, potatoes, chicken souvlaki, mousaka, rice and soutzoukakia which is greek style meatballs in a tomato sauce. The platter is $69.

Ambience 3.5/5
The restaurant is midsized and has hints of Greek decor. It is generally pretty quiet and usually has a good mix of people in the crowd but definitely more family oriented during the evening.

Service 4.5/5
I personally never had issues. For lunch they are pretty speedy. I've been twice on Saturday evenings and both times they brought in a belly dancer at 9pm. The girl's are very good at what they do and are very interactive which makes it fun, and they're cute too.

Value: 5/5
I've always left this place feeling like I got exactly what I paid for if not more. Their lunch menus are priced right and all the dishes especially the combination platter for 2 is way more than enough food.

Overall: 4.5/5
I definitely recommend this place. It has a big enough menu that it should have something for everyone.

Urbanspoon rating: 91
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1452176/restaurant/Centre-St-N/Calypsos-Taverna-Calgary

Guillermo
09-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by supe
Calypso's Taverna

This place is definitely on my favorite list and so I thought I'd share it with you. Me and the gf love our Greek food and Calyspo was a very pleasant surprise for us. I'll mention first that I'm not Greek so I can't attest to authenticity but from reading other reviews, most people think so.

Food rating 5/5
I've been to Calyspo a few times now. For lunch Calypso's has a different menu just for lunch. My co-workers swear by the Greek club house. They order it every time. I personally get the Calypso salad which is my favorite salad anywhere.

For dinner you have to try the calamari here. I'm usually not a big fan of it but its just over the top here. If you're looking for an authentic dish, try the mousaka (I don't even know how to explain it). What me and the gf normally do is double date and we all share the Combination platter for two with a few appys. Yup the platter for two easily serves four and you get to try a little bit of everything.

Ambience 3.5/5
Nothing great to say here but nothing wrong either.

Service 4.5/5
I personally never had issues. For lunch they are pretty speedy. I've been twice on Saturday evenings and both times they brought in a belly dancer at 9pm. The girl's are very good at what they do and are very interactive which makes it fun, and they're cute too.

Value: 5/5
I've always left this place feeling like I got exactly what I paid for if not more. Their lunch menus are priced right and all the dishes especially the combination platter for 2 is way more than enough food.

Overall: 4.5/5
I definitely recommend this place. It has a big enough menu that it should have something for everyone.

Urbanspoon rating: 91
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1452176/restaurant/Centre-St-N/Calypsos-Taverna-Calgary

interesting, so what I take from this is:

1) you like greek food.
2) they have different lunch and dinner menus, and you get salad at lunch
3) the calamari is "over the top" (whatever that means)
4) you can't describe the mousakka
5) you can't comment on ambience
6)service is speedy, sometimes they have a belly dancer, and you like the restaurant

how did you write so much without saying anything??? I read the whole thing but still know nothing about the food. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

supe
09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Some good points. Its my first review. I'll try to be more detailed and specific next time.

bulaian
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM
What's in the platter? how much was it?

supe
09-14-2011, 02:32 PM
$69 and you get pita with tzatziki, chicken souvlaki on rice, slowly roasted lamb, potato, mousaka, and greek style meatballs in a herbed tomato sauce.

Guillermo
09-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Do they have avegolmada (lemon soup) on the menu, and if so does is have rice, orzo, or pasta? and what is the average price for an entree? thnx.

supe
09-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes they do have a lemon rice soup, its almost like a congee but different flavor, its good. I just did a quick look at the menu on their website, looks like the average entree is about 18-20. On their lunch menu the most expensive item is $14 which is pretty good.

Guillermo
09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
^^awesome, I love that stuff.

bspot
09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
This place is really, really good. I've been impressed both times I've been.

supe
09-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bspot
This place is really, really good. I've been impressed both times I've been.

Watch out Guillermo won't be impressed with your post.

V6-BoI
09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I always go there when I go for Greek, and the food is always good.

Guillermo
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by supe

Watch out Guillermo won't be impressed with your post.

it wasn't a very descriptive review.... :dunno: it's not a big deal, don't get all butthurt about it.

bourge73
09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Well it is a Greek restaurant after all ;)

supe
09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

it wasn't a very descriptive review.... :dunno: it's not a big deal, don't get all butthurt about it.

Not at all. And I agreed with you about the descriptiveness.

Anyway back on topic, my original post edited. Keep in mind I'm trying to put good food in your belly.

statick
11-05-2011, 08:34 PM
In my experience, this is one of the better Greek spots in town. I've been a number of times and see no reason why I won't return. I suppose the help could be a tad more consistent, but that's all.

rx7_turbo2
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I may have to give this place a try for myself I guess. I've been told by numerous people, people who's opinion about food I trust a great deal that I should avoid this place at all cost.

There are enough decent comments here that maybe I'll take a gamble on it. Until I read this thread I was told to avoid Calypso like it was the plague so.....

egmilano
12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
in my opinion over priced boring food. the waitress was so cheesy

ExtraSlow
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Santorini, just a few blocks south, is also good. I'll be trying out Calypso soon.