PDA

View Full Version : Accessory/Inverter Help

rathorn
01-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Alright here is my Problem. I have a custom Computer MP3 system in my Durango, except that my Power Inverter doesn't have a accessory cable on it so I have to manually turn it on and off everytime. Is there some way that I can make it turn on and off with the rest of my audio parts? Thanks you so much in advance for the help.

tt398
01-23-2004, 01:58 AM
You need to setup a relay that is turned on / off by the igntion switch. (this is the relay's coil). The switched contacts of the relay (not the relay coil) supply +12 VDC to the inverter. When you turn off the ignition switch, the relay coil de-energizes and opens the switched contacts - therefore no more 12 VDC to the inverter. The reverse is true when you turn on the ignition.

:burnout:

rathorn
01-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Ok, that is what i thought so thank you for confirming it, but one more question then. Where do i pick up a relay, and how do i set it up? Or will instructions be provided? Thak you so much

Matt

stockEK
01-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Radio Shack, Active (or maybe its Future now) components have a retail space in Calgary.

Both will have relays. You need a 12V coil, and contacts with a current rating equal or higher than your load.

No they dont come with instructions.

soupey
01-28-2004, 11:20 AM
they come wit a diagram which is usually enough to figure it out

rathorn
01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Ok, thanks a ton

tt398
01-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by stockEK
Radio Shack, Active (or maybe its Future now) components have a retail space in Calgary.

Both will have relays. You need a 12V coil, and contacts with a current rating equal or higher than your load.

No they dont come with instructions.

I would suggest getting a relay that is rated at least two times your estimated current (amps) load - just to be safe. You'll need to find a spare 12v feed on your fuse block that is controlled by your ignition switch. this will enegerise / de-energise tthe relay coil. The relay contatcs are connected to your load and a fused 12 Volt feed.

Zero102
01-29-2004, 02:19 AM
I don't know what brand inverter you have, but everytime I disconnect the power on mine, without turning the switch off, it makes this high pitched whine, that would get very irritating if it whined every time the car was shut off.