PDA

View Full Version : cross country move - sell or drive?

brady0922
09-15-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm new to forums, but wanted to know if anyone has any advice for me. Planning on moving from Toronto to Vancouver in the next month. I drive a 2004 Mazda 6 but don't want to keep it (want something smaller). Do I sell it in Ontario or drive it to BC and sell it there? If I sell here, do I buy the next one in Ontario or BC? I've heard Ontario cars are cheaper..is that just used or new too? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

project240
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
The easiest way is to sell your current car in Ontario and buy a new one in BC. No inspections, no hassles.

bspot
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Sell it on your way in Alberta since our cars are overpriced.

dirtsniffer
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
ya no one wants cars from out east here cause they are generally rusted out junk. bc cars are nice and clean. its also the easiest way of going about moving

Abeo
09-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Toronto has a very large market for cars, you shouldn't have trouble selling it there. And people in the west view eastern cars as junk. I'd sell there and buy a BC car for simplicity sake.

craigcd
09-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Sell it to avoide the out of province IMO

Nakadah
09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Cheapest cars are in Toronto area indeed! However, if you travel with your car to Vancouver and decide to sell it there you will have hassle with the Out-Of-Province inspection which will be costly as well as not many people want to buy cars from Ontario.

What other options of transportation do you have? Do you have a second vehicle that you would like to keep? You really need to compare the different options and compare how much each will cost you.

brady0922
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I decided I will drive it out to BC for the reason that I can get at least 2000 more for it out there, according to autotrader, which I assume will cover the extra inspection needed. It's also cheaper to drive my stuff out there instead of shipping and flying over.

don't cars rust out in BC too?

brady0922
10-05-2011, 03:02 PM
p.s. my car doesn't have any rust on it and has low kms. Hopefully that will help when I'm trying to sell "ontario junk" out west....

JustinMCS
10-05-2011, 03:04 PM
We don't use as much salt in the west as you guys do in the east on the roads during winter, so rusting is less common.

Abeo
10-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by brady0922

You can see rust free beaters from the 70's still on the road in Van. Cars don't rust to the same degree as Toronto or Southern Ontario. And good luck with getting $2000 more for your vehicle; most people out here fear anything that has spent time out east. And its for good reason, I see cars still on the road in Calgary that would have rusted out in the early 2000's in Ontario, and I can actually take things apart in the junkyard that aren't fused together or hopelessly rusty. Its quite the difference.

brady0922
10-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

You can see rust free beaters from the 70's still on the road in Van. Cars don't rust to the same degree as Toronto or Southern Ontario. And good luck with getting $2000 more for your vehicle; most people out here fear anything that has spent time out east. And its for good reason, I see cars still on the road in Calgary that would have rusted out in the early 2000's in Ontario, and I can actually take things apart in the junkyard that aren't fused together or hopelessly rusty. Its quite the difference.

why is that? road salt? I can see calgary cars not rusting because it's so dry there (i'm originally from there), but I would have thought with all the rain out in Vancouver, cars would rust too. Just curious what makes Toronto such a corrosive environment.

Abeo
10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
In Toronto, its a combination of salt + temperature. Near the lake, its relatively mild which helps rust grow, and the salt spray from wet roads in the winter means the corrosion is pretty much always active (with the amount of humidity in the air). Vancouver doesn't use salt in any way comparable to Toronto, so the cars don't have active corrosion from the salt spray (unless they spend time around actual salt water, which still doesn't reach the concentration of salt that the road spray is in TO)

brady0922
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately my company isn't paying for my moving expenses, so I have to keep them down as much as possible. I will just have to take my chances that it will sell there eventually. There's really nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to downsize, that's all.

thanks for the input!

firebane
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Sell in Ontario nobody trusts those cars.

Vancouver doesn't salt they just sand their roads and vehicles don't rust NEAR as fast down there.

And OOP inspections can suck.

bourge73
10-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Just a general question, but does one province vs. another have tougher vs. easier OOP's? or are they all pretty standardized?

Abeo
10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Just a general question, but does one province vs. another have tougher vs. easier OOP's? or are they all pretty standardized?

Ontario's safety inspection is a joke compared to Alberta's OOP.

Example: "exhaust gas cannot enter the interior of the car"
AB OOP: no rust
Ont Safety inspection: no holes. Rust holes plugged with mono foam and newspaper OK.

DeeK
10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by brady0922
Thanks for the feedback.
I decided I will drive it out to BC for the reason that I can get at least 2000 more for it out there, according to autotrader, which I assume will cover the extra inspection needed. It's also cheaper to drive my stuff out there instead of shipping and flying over.

Ok. well after living in Vancouver for the past 3 years, everything here is WAY overpriced, except cars... you WILL NOT get even close to what you are asking for. Sell it in Ontario. buy another here in BC. Trust me on that one.