PDA

View Full Version : U of C admittance

BloodBaneZXY
01-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Hmm, I'm in my last year of highschool right now, already applied to U of C, pushing a 75ish average (chances are, that may be subject to a little higher with the incredibly easy diplomas this year :thumbsup: ) Anyways, I'm kind of concerned if I'll BE able to get admitted with these marks, (Probably to engineering or General Sciences). I know they got rid of guaranteed admission this year, so that adds some difficulty to the situation. This year, admission is strictly based on competitive marks, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do personally to increase my chances. Bla Bla, I know try talking to U of C councellors and reading their websites, but I was wondering if anyone WAS or has BEEN in a similar situation and could shed some light on it :dunno:

Must...make....U of C

nismodrifter
01-23-2004, 12:51 AM
just do good on diplomas and you're set.......think of it this way, doing good now will save you LOTS of trouble in the time to come in the near future

spend some time on your studying and just focus on school for the few more months that you have in school and you'll do fine

I know ALOT of people who didn't get the average in HS required to get into engineering, either off by 1-2% or they went down hill later on in the year with the "i am goiing to graduate time to do nothing at school" mentality and dropped their averages by like 5-10%. If you plan on getting into engineering or even science then just start working harder RIGHT NOW

thich
01-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY

Must...make....U of C

haven't heard that one yet... lol
usually every just criticizes the U.

ANYWAYS, nismo put it as best as it can come: work harder NOW

everything is based on your HS marks now - only 5000 seats this coming fall for admission.

RSeXy
01-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Yes, I agree..work your ass off in High School. With 75% there is no way you'll get admitted into the Faculty of Engineering. With direct entry, it is in your best interests to get in while its a lot easier (through high school) than it is to waste a year in another faculty, working your ass off to get into the faculty you wanted to originally be in.

Also, KNOW what you want to do, or else the U will just sucker more money out of you...those bastards. Ahh, one more year...must make it...LOL

Nav13
01-25-2004, 09:04 PM
On a similar topic, would you guys recomend Mt Royal college? I'm also in my last year of highschool, trying to get into engineering at the UofC, but right now my marks arent quite there yet. I hope to do well on diplomas and apply early on during the next semester. If i dont make it to UofC i plan on taking the transfer course at Mt Royal. Just wondering if anyone on here has taken this course and tranfered to the UofC, if so, how difficult was it making it into the U? and was it difficult to adjust to the different teaching style? or are they nearly identical? Ive already talked to my counselor at school, just hoping to get some input from someone with experience.

D'z Nutz
01-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I went to Mt Royal for 2 years and enjoyed my time there a lot. I'm not sure how it is in other faculties, but as far as computer science went, when I came out of MRC and into U of C, I was surpised to find that U of C students that were in the same level as me (ie: 3rd year students) didn't seem to have learned nearly as much as the students from MRC.

The classes are smaller, so there's more interaction with the instructors, which is pretty good. So you might actually go through your two years with many of the same teachers and get to know them on a personal level.

Another thing is that the instructors at MRC don't have TA's, so they mark all the assignments themselves and tend to have a much higher expectation than any TA would. At MRC I would literally take close to two weeks straight to finish an assignment (several hours a day and in few instances pulling all nighters) and hope to get a B but would settle for a C on that particular assignment, where as once I transferred to U of C, the most time I've ever spent on any given assignment is about 10 hours (that and the lowest mark I've ever gotten on any programming assignment there was ~95%). Friends that failed courses at MRC ended up retaking them as unclassified students at U of C and ended up getting A's and B's! Hahaha! In fact, I heard the passing rate for a few of the courses right there right now are even lower than when I went.

Of course, many U of C Comp Sci students probably question anything I've just said, but really, unless you went there, you wouldn't really know.

Again, keep in mind this is from my experience as a CPSC student. Other faculties may vary.

tulit
01-25-2004, 09:53 PM
With 75% there is no way you'll get admitted into the Faculty of Engineering

And even if you do, theres a high chance you'll never make it through. Engg has a drop out/kicked out rate. Make sure you're ready for it, willing to work and its what you really want to do. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and money.

Team_Mclaren
01-25-2004, 10:01 PM
I just got my early-admission to engineeing on friday with 84, 83 on math and chem. i think their early-admission mark to engineeing is at 82 right now. and the entry mark is 80-81. So 75 will not cut it. make sure u do good on your diploma and your set. u can try apply to engineering with your mark as a first choice but put something like general study as second choice so if u dont make into engineering u can still get something. thats what i've been told and did.

girlRACER
01-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
At MRC I would literally take close to two weeks straight to finish an assignment (several hours a day and in few instances pulling all nighters) and hope to get a B but would settle for a C on that particular assignment, where as once I transferred to U of C, the most time I've ever spent on any given assignment is about 10 hours (that and the lowest mark I've ever gotten on any programming assignment there was ~95%). Friends that failed courses at MRC ended up retaking them as unclassified students at U of C and ended up getting A's and B's! Hahaha! In fact, I heard the passing rate for a few of the courses right there right now are even lower than when I went.

Of course, many U of C Comp Sci students probably question anything I've just said, but really, unless you went there, you wouldn't really know.

Again, keep in mind this is from my experience as a CPSC student. Other faculties may vary.

In my experience with MRC and other people whom I know that took classes there it was the exact opposite. Most people get higher marks at MRC than UofC. I spoke with 2 Profs, one Math and one Religious Studies prof who teach at both places, and both of them said that according to some kind of standard they have to mark harder for the University courses.

I agree that teachers at MRC spend more time trying to teach you but at the U, that same help is available. A person just has to seek it. I spend hours with my profs after class discussing Buddhism...so I wouldn't say I learn more at one institute than the other. But you're right...it differs from faculty to faculty.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-26-2004, 03:29 AM
http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/averages.html

check it out if u havent yet.

just by observation, a lot of the required marks are up! especially for transfers! u can totally tell by comparing the marks for previous years

eur0
01-26-2004, 05:06 AM
i slacked off in high school, pulled off like a 65 avg and got into science haha...those were the days! :thumbsup:

9taccord
01-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Ive got another year left at Mtroyal and to transfer to Kinesiology I need a 3.4 average.... damn this popular faculty

it went from a 3.0 in 2002 to a 3.4 for next Fall

DeSi
01-26-2004, 10:32 AM
i think early addmission for engineering is around 83 ish this year, so usually early addmission is 3% higher then the garunteed admission grade. I know its competitive this year but you should aim for 80 and above and you'll have a good chance to get in.

Gondi Stylez
01-26-2004, 12:09 PM
damn science at the U has also gone up quite a bit! 2.62 in 2003 and now its 3.3!! damn!! :eek: competition is gettin stiffer!! education is now not a luxury, you have to work your best to get the very best! now more then ever! wonder what the transfer GPA will be in 2005 when im goin to the U! :nut:

no_joke
01-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
On a similar topic, would you guys recomend Mt Royal college? I'm also in my last year of highschool, trying to get into engineering at the UofC, but right now my marks arent quite there yet. I hope to do well on diplomas and apply early on during the next semester. If i dont make it to UofC i plan on taking the transfer course at Mt Royal. Just wondering if anyone on here has taken this course and tranfered to the UofC, if so, how difficult was it making it into the U? and was it difficult to adjust to the different teaching style? or are they nearly identical? Ive already talked to my counselor at school, just hoping to get some input from someone with experience.

I know a guy who took his first year at MRC taking Engg courses and then transferred over here with his 3.6 gpa. He said the courses were about the same difficulty but the important thing was to keep the gpa up because the U of C faculty will only accept a certain number of transfers meaning your marks really have to be competitve to get in. Although I seriously doubt that MRC's first year engg program is on an equally difficult/ work load level to that of the U of C's, he seemed to be doing just fine in his courses. But long story short, you can try the MRC route, do good, transfer to U of C and still be okay.

no_joke
01-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

I know ALOT of people who didn't get the average in HS required to get into engineering, either off by 1-2% or they went down hill later on in the year with the "i am goiing to graduate time to do nothing at school" mentality and dropped their averages by like 5-10%. If you plan on getting into engineering or even science then just start working harder RIGHT NOW

Well a lot of people can afford to slack off in high school and come out well enough to get into the faculty, but then not do so well. But I don't think that the marks are as important as the study habits that you get out of high school. Especially in Engg, you should try to stay on top of the notes (at least enough to do your quizzes and assignments) and do your homework. (Should be following my own advice here :rolleyes: ) Just don't coast your way through any course expecting to do good on the final and coming out with a good mark (Although, I can't say it hasn't been done). So I guess you just have to learn how to learn sooner or later for U, but it's better to start while you're still in high school.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-27-2004, 12:16 AM
transferring to u of c from mrc is harder. the number of ppl they accept is quite small and the marks required high

thich
01-27-2004, 12:14 PM
one thing probably not stated is that they are not obliged to take transfer students either... at least from my understanding.
Haskayne usually takes 1-3 student from MRC

9taccord
01-29-2004, 03:35 PM
not true - if you have the guaranteed admission average to transfer than they will take you.

-250-
01-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I think i am more then ready for u of c rocking physics 30 with 93, math 30PF with 97, chem 30 with 91%

i want to go to toronto, hows is the mark scale there?

lint
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by -250-
I think i am more then ready for u of c rocking physics 30 with 93, math 30PF with 97, chem 30 with 91%

i want to go to toronto, hows is the mark scale there?

Anything over 90 and you should be pretty safe. There was an article recently (I think it was in Macleans) regarding the discrepancies betwwen grades in western canada and eastern canada, where for example a 90 here would be the equivalent of a 95 there. Making it harder for western students to compete. Also, you are only allowed to apply for 3 schools in Ont (at least that was the policy waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was looking into it)