PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and registration when selling my half of the car to the other owner

jmc
09-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Background info:
The car is jointly registered (me and my dad).
Currently only I have insurance of the car with just me as the primarily driver.
My dad has another car, with insurance of just him as the primarily driver; the insurance is with a different insurance company.

What I need to do is sell my car to my dad (so registration is just in his name), and he needs to get insurance [but not necessary with my or his current insurance company].

How do I do this and what are the steps (the more detailed, the better)?

Many thanks.

[Yu]
09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought the transfer of registration is as simple as going down to registries and getting it transferred under his own name.

As for the insurance part, I would normally suggest getting a temporary one, but since you said your dad might not be going to do it with the current insurance company, then I don't know. Perhaps your dad's current one can still fax him a temporary insurance card or e-mail him one, where he can drive the vehicle for a short duration (i.e. home) then start getting quotes?

pheoxs
09-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Easiest way is just go to the registries and do it there.

Otherwise just draw up a bill of sale with you selling the car to your dad for X amount of money and he can take that to the registries and register it only in his name.

Fun fact: The bill of sale and current registration names don't need to match as far as the registries are concerned (a vehicle could get sold a dozen times without being registered...) so regardless of it being half your car, just do it that way, if hes okay with it then there is no issue.

jmc
09-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I think i need more details:

The 'transfer of registration' is a sale, right? i.e. I will need to fill in the back of my current registration form, and use that as the Bill of Sale?

Wouldn't my dad have to get his own insurance for the car first before I can transfer it to him (in his name only)?

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Also keep in mind that the registry will only issue registration to the INSURED driver on the pink slip. ...
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=14532

I guess he'll also have to buy a plate?