PDA

View Full Version : What's the best oil&gas job to break into?

Pages : [1] 2

Davex
09-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I want to go work this winter, save a ton of money over the winter so that I can pursue some things next year, and I want to break into oil and gas but I do not have any experience/education post secondary and I do not want to be the guy hooking up / disconnecting the oil pipes on the derrick(sp?). What are some options? I only want to do this for one winter too

93VR6
09-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Unless you have some sort of skill or experience you'll be the guy hooking up pipe.

ExtraSlow
09-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Work for a service company, like Frac or cement.

kaput
09-18-2011, 05:01 PM

badatusrnames
09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Work for a service company, like Frac or cement.

This, or maybe production testing, slickline/wireline or something like that as well?

If you work on a rig, you're going to be doing the bitch work, no way around it.

Cos
09-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Davex
I do not want to be the guy hooking up / disconnecting the oil pipes on the derrick(sp?).

Why dont you want to be that guy? Is there a specific reason? As Kaput said (although a little harsh) is about right.

Redlined_8000
09-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by kaput
You have no education, skills, or experience, but you want a temporary high paying job that doesn't involve manual labour? It's time for a reality check.

:werd:

vengie
09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
You have no education, skills, or experience, but you want a temporary high paying job that doesn't involve manual labour? It's time for a reality check.

09-18-2011, 06:29 PM

-relk-
09-18-2011, 06:53 PM

FraserB
09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
So we're going to have 15 posts quoting that stuff above me and then a post by Toilet_D offering to pay OP for "site services"?

ExtraSlow
09-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Toilet_D is about the only thing this thread is missing.

know1edge
09-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Vous n'avez pas d'éducation, les compétences ou l'expérience, mais vous voulez un emploi bien rémunéré temporaire qui n'implique pas de travail manuel? Il est temps pour une vérification de la réalité.

Davex
09-18-2011, 08:36 PM
To the above poster "reality check", no it's not that I don't WANT to do the physical labor, it's that my knee cap that likes to rotate to the side of my knee that doesn't want to do the physical labor. I was just seeing what kind of other 'grunt' jobs were out there besides hooking the pipe that is all. I know when I worked seismic there was multiple jobs you could get into entry level, jughound, survey, shooting, i have done those before.

Davex
09-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

This, or maybe production testing, slickline/wireline or something like that as well?

If you work on a rig, you're going to be doing the bitch work, no way around it. I don't mind doing bitch work I just have to choose wisely, I don't want to make an existing injury that much worse if I can prevent it, I just don't know what other kinds of jobs I can go to a camp and do work for 6 months straight there is???

brucebanner
09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I know when I worked seismic there was multiple jobs you could get into entry level, jughound, survey, shooting, i have done those before.

I wouldn't suggest seismic, I mean back in the day I had a lot of fun when I was there but there is zero money involved for lower totem pole type of positions.

The rigs would likely fetch you the most money, but if your body can't do the task, they why pursue that avenue.

Something else you could look into is pipelining. Pretty easy job, you'll either be stuck doing one type of work or get to do a bunch of different stuff.

max_boost
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
You have no education, skills, or experience, but you want a temporary high paying job that doesn't involve manual labour? It's time for a reality check. ZING! :eek:

dirtsniffer
09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
You could try to get a job driving a mining haul truck? I'm not sure I you need a special license, but I've definitely seen some 'special' people driving them

Jlude
09-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Harsh but very true

People that look for the easy/quick money... never find it, and if they do, it never lasts.

Davex
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM
This thread was just more or less to explore different jobs/options within the field, and to see what experience or lack thereof is required. Nothing wrong with that imho no need for the hate!

Team_Mclaren
09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
seem like the typical thread by OP who cant keep a job for more than 2 weeks

Davex
09-18-2011, 10:05 PM
i wonder if I should sign up for my class one right quick here and explore options for trucking too. Anybody else do any kind of trucking ?

Davex
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
seem like the typical thread by OP who cant keep a job for more than 2 weeks Longest Job held nearly 3 years. Been self employed for the past year, but I'm doing some extensive travelling next year and just trying to find something that pays decent to save up. Thanks for not contributing anything useful to my questions or the thread though :thumbsup:

CompletelyNumb
09-18-2011, 10:08 PM
With a bad knee? Get your class 1 or 3 and go drive a truck in Fort Mac. Best money for a job not requiring lower body work.

Davex
09-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
With a bad knee? Get your class 1 or 3 and go drive a truck in Fort Mac. Best money for a job not requiring lower body work. Do you know if those truck jobs require you to have any certain # of hours driven, or will they accept somebody green? Also if anybody has good websites to add to the job search feel free to post them, I know I'm not the only person looking get out of the city and make money somewhere else this winter!

CompletelyNumb
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Depends on how badly they need drivers. Experience never hurts. Taking a school if you're green would be recommended. Honestly the only site I've ever used is rig zone.

Get the license and get a local job. Even if it's delivering or garbage trucks. License + experience = hired come winter.

Davex
09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
True that, but also you could drive a truck for anything and make decent money. Maybe do city work picking up recycling or something for the winter would be fun!

CompletelyNumb
09-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I know a guy that got a job driving garbage truck in the okanagan valley. He makes decent cash, works good hours, and gets to go to the beach every day in the summer and ski every day in the winter. He loves it.

But if you're looking for money, it's always gonna be O&G. Drive a water truck in fort mac. Horrible hours.. Great pay. No living expenses. Spring hits, travel away.

Davex
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Water truck hey? Looks like driving is going to be my choice until I get physio done

93VR6
09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
True that, but also you could drive a truck for anything and make decent money. Maybe do city work picking up recycling or something for the winter would be fun!

Not even close to the same pay.

ExtraSlow
09-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Plus, driving a garbage truck in Calgary is actually a pretty sought-after position. you don't just walk into that one.

in*10*se
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM

johnboy27
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Plus, driving a garbage truck in Calgary is actually a pretty sought-after position. you don't just walk into that one.
Aslo, with no previous driving experience you don't want to start out having to drive around Calgary. My advice would be buy a knee brace of some sort and apply at Gasfrac. They will train you to get your class 1 and they are pretty desperate for guys right now so you have a chance woth no experience to get a job. The pay won't be the best until after you get your class 1 but better than nothing.

GT.....O?
09-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Just a tidbit that ill through in,

Starting October 1st, roughneck wages will be raised to 29 bucks an hour.

A solid 14 day check for roughnecks making 26.5 plus 140 a day for liveout is 5500 bucks after taxes.

Davex
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by GT.....O?

A solid 14 day check for roughnecks making 26.5 plus 140 a day for liveout is 5500 bucks after taxes. :eek:

msommers
09-19-2011, 04:29 PM

A solid 14 day check for roughnecks making 26.5 plus 140 a day for liveout is 5500 bucks after taxes.

That's pretty high LOA. You must have to pay for housing and food yourself. How many hours are you working usually? That's wicked pay.

Redlined_8000
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
So is that 14 days straight? if so then have fun haha.

AndyL
09-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Crap who's hiring green roughnecks then? I'd go out to camp for that!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
So is that 14 days straight? if so then have fun haha.
for some people its worth working 14 days straight for $7644 (before tax) with the possibility for more if you are working with certain mud types

Originally posted by AndyL
Crap who's hiring green roughnecks then? I'd go out to camp for that!

Everyone. there is a major shortage of workers this season.
If I remember correctly camp jobs are only $50/day subsistence which is also non taxable

msommers
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
The fuck do people get $50/day for if they're living in camp?!

kaput
09-19-2011, 06:26 PM

ExtraSlow
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah, as the guy who signs the invoice, I can confirm that it's $50/day for camp, and $140 a day for non-camp jobs.
14 days straight is the SHORTEST anyone is working, 21 or 24 days is more common. 24 is the legal maximum, although you always hear rumours of certain operators going past that if it's busy. I stick to the 24 days.

That's a real hassle when you are drilling 30 day wells,and your rig has no relief crews.

As mentioned, you get a bonus for working with oil based mud systems. That's supposed to may for all the clothing that you wreck, but most guys buy very little new gear, even if it's damaged. I hear people are getting the same bonus for working with silicate muds too, but I don't run those, so I don't know.

This winter is shaping up to be quite busy too, deep rigs are in high demand, and shallow rigs are being pulled out near Conklin and Fort Mac for Heavy Oil delineation work.

CompletelyNumb
09-21-2011, 04:48 AM
If you have two hands and two feet, you can get a roughneck job.

Times are good right now indeed :)

GT.....O?
09-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Literally EVERYONE is hiring right now, two of my good buddies have been hired in the last two weeks and have been sent out the day after completing orientation. (Completely green, no idea the difference between casing or pipe, or even what a drill bit looks like)

Extra slow is correct, I'd say 14 days is the shortest anyone is working right now. I myself just got back from a 30 day hitch and one of the guys on the other crew finally got to go home after 57 days.

Money is good out there right now, and everywhere is looking to drill. Except everyone is short on guys. Some rigs only have two crews and have been working with very little time off since breakup ended. If you wanna make some quick money (why I am out there temporarily) and don't mind some hard physical labour for a little while, O&G is the place to go.

The numbers arent hard to figure out

As it stands right now

12 hour days, 7 days straight.

44 regular time hours at 26.5 = 1166
40 overtime hours at 39.75 = 1590
140 a day/7 days for LOA non-camp = 980

before taxes = 3736 for a weeks work isnt too bad.

work three weeks and you got yourself some decent coin for a decent turbo upgrade or new car and thats not including the raises coming in october

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D

Florida_Son
09-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Literally EVERYONE is hiring right now, two of my good buddies have been hired in the last two weeks and have been sent out the day after completing orientation. (Completely green, no idea the difference between casing or pipe, or even what a drill bit looks like)

Extra slow is correct, I'd say 14 days is the shortest anyone is working right now. I myself just got back from a 30 day hitch and one of the guys on the other crew finally got to go home after 57 days.

Money is good out there right now, and everywhere is looking to drill. Except everyone is short on guys. Some rigs only have two crews and have been working with very little time off since breakup ended. If you wanna make some quick money (why I am out there temporarily) and don't mind some hard physical labour for a little while, O&G is the place to go.

The numbers arent hard to figure out

As it stands right now

12 hour days, 7 days straight.

44 regular time hours at 26.5 = 1166
40 overtime hours at 39.75 = 1590
140 a day/7 days for LOA non-camp = 980

before taxes = 3736 for a weeks work isnt too bad.

work three weeks and you got yourself some decent coin for a decent turbo upgrade or new car and thats not including the raises coming in october

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D

How physical is the work? Would a guy that has warehouse/grocery labour experience be able to handle it? I pull/push heavy pallets for 8 to 12 hours a day. Heck a few weeks ago, I worked 13 hours straight.

cosmok
09-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Florida_Son

How physical is the work? Would a guy that has warehouse/grocery labour experience be able to handle it? I pull/push heavy pallets for 8 to 12 hours a day. Heck a few weeks ago, I worked 13 hours straight.
Each shift is 12 hours, starting out you need to know how to use a scrubber brush and a power washer

CompletelyNumb
09-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Or more likely, since some crews are short handed, even the lease hand is on the floor tripping pipe.

Any man can do the work, it's a matter of will power more then physical strength. As long as you try you will do fine.

And yes, it's worth the money.

Florida_Son
09-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by cosmok

Each shift is 12 hours, starting out you need to know how to use a scrubber brush and a power washer

Okay thanks. I'm driving out to Red Deer for a visit next month to apply for well testing assistant. If I can't get anywhere with that, I'll drive up to Nisku to apply at some of the drilling companies.

Been wanting to move to Alberta for a long time the timing just wasn't right. It might be right now. Glad to hear that things are going well out there.

lint
09-21-2011, 07:44 AM
software developer. no physical requirements at all, and based on the projects that I inherited, you don't need much in the way of development skills either

Florida_Son
09-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Or more likely, since some crews are short handed, even the lease hand is on the floor tripping pipe.

Any man can do the work, it's a matter of will power more then physical strength. As long as you try you will do fine.

And yes, it's worth the money.

Sounds good to me I'm fired up and anxious to get out there. I've been watching a lot of you tube videos and reading everything I can to grasp the different processes and lingo. I know you can't really learn anything until you get out there, get dirty, and do the work though.

ExtraSlow
09-21-2011, 08:10 AM
All you really need to know is this:
1) the crew will play tricks on you for the first week(s). Don't let it get under your skin.
2) No matter what you used to do, don't think you are smart.
3) you are going to be very tired and possibly sore. Work through it and it does get better, really.
4) Look out for your own safety.

brucebanner
09-21-2011, 08:17 AM

4) Look out for your own safety.

Probably the most important thing. The guys will look out for you but ultimately it's up to yourself to not do anything stupid to get yourself hurt.

Being hurt = not working, which we all know that means little $$.

Florida_Son
09-21-2011, 08:33 AM
A lot of great advice here and it's much appreciated. If hired, I won't be able to start for another two weeks probably. Could that be a problem?

I'd love to start the next day, unfortunately that won't be possible. I will have to get back here to Saskatchewan to take care of a few things.

Type_S1
09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
All you really need to know is this:
2) No matter what you used to do, don't think you are smart.

If you are going to work up there most likely many of the guys don't consider themselves "smart".

The rigs pay decent money if you have no other skills you can exploit to someone. The reason you make decent coin though is because your literally killing your body for 12 hours a day for 14-24 days straight. Worth it? To some people hell yes...look at the $$ you make, to others...hell no they can make comparable wages in the city.

I have friends that work for drilling companies and they like the money, but no the job. If you don't mind the tradeoff go for it! These guys are definitely needed for the oil industry...and this winter is going to be extremely busy from what I have seem so there is no problem finding a job since they will literally hire anyone that can walk and lift their arms.

Like ExtraSlow said...watch out for yourself...it can be a dangerous job if you don't pay attention or don't know what you are doing. No matter what anyone else tells you always consider your own safety and health above everything even if other guys say their are quicker or better ways to do things.

-relk-
09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
1) the crew will play tricks on you for the first week(s). Don't let it get under your skin.

Just curious, what kind of tricks? Im not planning to work at a rig anytime soon, but I am curious, and am sure some other people might be too if they are looking into it.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

Just curious, what kind of tricks? Im not planning to work at a rig anytime soon, but I am curious, and am sure some other people might be too if they are looking into it.
go out to work and find out..lol

ExtraSlow
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
If you are going to work up there most likely many of the guys don't consider themselves "smart".
The new guy often goes up there thinking he's better than the people he meets. He thinks that since he's only doing this for one winter, he's somehow better than the guys who have been doing this for years. Nothing could be farther than the truth. All I'm trying to say is to leave your ego at home and realize that you can learn from everyone.

Type_S1
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

The new guy often goes up there thinking he's better than the people he meets. He thinks that since he's only doing this for one winter, he's somehow better than the guys who have been doing this for years. Nothing could be farther than the truth. All I'm trying to say is to leave your ego at home and realize that you can learn from everyone.

Got what your saying now...that is really good advice once you say it like that, for any job infact.

bitteeinbit
09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
For being away from home? That's the one plus of drilling vs servicing. We generally don't get any subsistence. Makes a difference at the end of the day but the work sucks in the long-run. Drilling seems extremely monotonous. I've heard alot of rigs are automated now, which means all you do is dope and stab. Is this true?

Also, S1 gives some very good points. All it is is a tradeoff. I personally would rather make 1000$ less per month for a nice job in a city with cool perks and some FREE TIME to enjoy life. But in certain circumstances, I think it's worth it to go out and make some coin for a bit. Some guys make a career out of it, but I for one definitely wouldn't. Just different perspectives and it all comes down to how much you like it.

ExtraSlow
09-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm an Engineer, and I contstantly see these new-grad kids coming out of school thinking they are smarter and more motivated than anyone else. Generally they either learn some humilty, or they are hated by the bosses and co-workers, to the point that they are pretty much forced to quit.

I'm lucky, I never thought I was smart, so I started out at least partly humble.

johnboy27
09-21-2011, 04:36 PM

I cmpletely agree. I feel that you can learn something new everyday and if you don't, you are doing something wrong.

CMW403
09-21-2011, 06:03 PM

:burnout:

SKR
09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
I'd love to start the next day, unfortunately that won't be possible. I will have to get back here to Saskatchewan to take care of a few things.

So get a job in Saskatchewan then. Red Dog Drilling is in Estevan, Panther Drilling is in Weyburn, Crusader Drilling is in Yorkton, Vortex Drilling is in Carlyle, Canelson Drilling has a field office in Carlyle, Betts Drilling is in Carnduff. Get on with one of them and be back in Regina every night.

Rat Fink
09-21-2011, 07:43 PM

AndyL
09-21-2011, 08:36 PM
No muffler bearings or headlight fluid?

So, who are the better employers vs who to avoid?

Florida_Son
09-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by SKR

So get a job in Saskatchewan then. Red Dog Drilling is in Estevan, Panther Drilling is in Weyburn, Crusader Drilling is in Yorkton, Vortex Drilling is in Carlyle, Canelson Drilling has a field office in Carlyle, Betts Drilling is in Carnduff. Get on with one of them and be back in Regina every night.

Most of the jobs advertised in Saskatchewan want experienced hands it seems.

jsn
09-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

This was a guy who showed up to his first day on lease with a collared shirt, dress pants and shoes......he told us how he wanted to bring a higher professional image to it all. haha :rofl:

Wow seriously? I'm a geo and alot of times I just wear sweat pants and sweatshirts. "Dressing-up" for me means jeans and a t-shirt or a polo if I'm feeling extra fancy, which is almost never. What was his job? Better not be a roughneck:rofl:

Pinner
09-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by SKR

I agree, it's busier in Sask. than AB. and I heard Red Dog was a great company to work for.

polarice
09-22-2011, 09:55 AM
So, how many women get hired on up North? Is it possible when they're desperate for workers?

Cos
09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

What he means is that no matter what you do don’t tell people what you used to do and act like a big shot. People like that get hurt and really annoying. It looks bad on the crew and 12 hrs at night in the freezing rain there isn’t a lot of room on people patience.

I worked rig as a MWD. I was a smart ass on the crew. One guy who was a driller was either a geo or engg and worked the crew because he liked it better. Just because they throw pipe doesn’t mean they are stupid.

My lead DD was making $1000 a day. If you are smart you get out after 4 or 5 years as a millionaire. Takes about 5 - 10 to get to that level. If you are 25 with schooling (or even not but it is harder now) by the time you are 40 you can be retired. That is if you are smart. Most guys aren’t.

A cab ride is 200-300 bucks back to Fort Mac from most of the projects in the area. I've literally seen people have a breakdown from all the pranks and trash talking. We got one guy to sit in the middle of the lease on an office chair while he was crying waiting for the taxi to drive to the site to get him. This was a guy who showed up to his first day on lease with a collared shirt, dress pants and shoes......he told us how he wanted to bring a higher professional image to it all. haha :rofl:

Lol I hot-shotted myself off the site when I quit. I lost it. I was there for 30 days straight. Sharing a room (2 room Atco Trailer) with the day MWD. I was the night MWD and the DD got the room on the end.

desi112
09-23-2011, 10:23 AM

I did wireline related shit, and was on quite a few SAGD projects where you get to know the rig crews very well

You might be sent everywhere looking for a left handed pipe wrench.....sent looking for keys to the V-door......might get you to chop down a tree and trim all the bark off and the branches and paint lines every 1m for when the wireline guys come to "log" the well. That one was my favorite!!

There's other ones, like wearing underwear for several days straight and then stuffing them inside a coworkers pillow case so his face is pretty much on your rank undies for the rest of his hitch depending on how dirty the camp is. LOL. I did this to a friend in response to him dropping his toe nail clippings under my sheets. I woke up and felt something scratchy on my chest! haha

I was totally hoping my friend would get pink eye but he never did! haha

A cab ride is 200-300 bucks back to Fort Mac from most of the projects in the area. I've literally seen people have a breakdown from all the pranks and trash talking. We got one guy to sit in the middle of the lease on an office chair while he was crying waiting for the taxi to drive to the site to get him. This was a guy who showed up to his first day on lease with a collared shirt, dress pants and shoes......he told us how he wanted to bring a higher professional image to it all. haha :rofl:

sounds like you and your work mates were a bunch of greasy dbags who would'nt last at any other job.

Cos
09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by desi112

sounds like you and your work mates were a bunch of greasy dbags who would'nt last at any other job.

wow because you know him or the work so well :rolleyes:

Ratfink is actually a great guy. I know him personally.

desi112
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Cos

wow because you know him or the work so well :rolleyes:

Ratfink is actually a great guy. I know him personally.
actually i was on the way back in to apologize, i read some of his other posts and he seems like a very gentle person.

But those activities are still a little fucked up regardless of the work.

Florida_Son
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Cos

What he means is that no matter what you do don’t tell people what you used to do and act like a big shot.

:werd:

If I get on, I'll be keeping my mouth shut.

Cos
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by desi112

actually i was on the way back in to apologize, i read some of his other posts and he seems like a very gentle person.

But those activities are still a little fucked up regardless of the work.

Fair enough. Yeah working O&G field is something different. I think it is something similar to being in the Canadian Forces. You can either hack it or you cant. I lasted as long as I could but I am just too thin skinned to do it.

RatherBePerfin
09-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Most of the jobs advertised in Saskatchewan want experienced hands it seems.

What an ad says and what the reality is are 2 very different things. You have to keep in mind that starting out on a rig is largely the same no matter who the company is. That is comparing apples to apples, there are differences between the rigs themselves (automated rigs, top drive, rotary table, drilling overbalanced or underbalanced, ect). Obviously some rigs are far better off hiring an experienced hand than a green hand. My opinion is that a lot of companies advertise a desire for experienced hands because it is the obvious best case scenario for them.

The companies who advertise a willingness or desire to hire inexperienced people is a red flag (in my opinion). It is a sign to me that the company is unable to retain staff or manage turnover, they've bitten off more than they can chew (too many contracts)(AKA overworked), and they are likely to be overwhelmed with green hands. As far as the last point goes, it can be a blessing and a curse. Being a green hand surrounded by other green hands has a significantly higher chance for incidents or injuries. The upside to it is: if you are motivated and have a decent aptitude for the job you may progress quicker. Keep in mind that too fast a progression may not always be the best thing either though. If you end up running equipment that you do not have a thorough understanding of, you are posing a hazard to yourself and others.

Florida_Son
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by RatherBePerfin

What an ad says and what the reality is are 2 very different things. You have to keep in mind that starting out on a rig is largely the same no matter who the company is. That is comparing apples to apples, there are differences between the rigs themselves (automated rigs, top drive, rotary table, drilling overbalanced or underbalanced, ect). Obviously some rigs are far better off hiring an experienced hand than a green hand. My opinion is that a lot of companies advertise a desire for experienced hands because it is the obvious best case scenario for them.

The companies who advertise a willingness or desire to hire inexperienced people is a red flag (in my opinion). It is a sign to me that the company is unable to retain staff or manage turnover, they've bitten off more than they can chew (too many contracts)(AKA overworked), and they are likely to be overwhelmed with green hands. As far as the last point goes, it can be a blessing and a curse. Being a green hand surrounded by other green hands has a significantly higher chance for incidents or injuries. The upside to it is: if you are motivated and have a decent aptitude for the job you may progress quicker. Keep in mind that too fast a progression may not always be the best thing either though. If you end up running equipment that you do not have a thorough understanding of, you are posing a hazard to yourself and others.

I hear what you saying. You currently working in the SK patch?

RatherBePerfin
09-23-2011, 12:20 PM

I hear what you saying. You currently working in the SK patch?

Been in SE Sask for just over a year. The 3.5 years prior to that I was mainly in central AB and SK, but experienced a fair bit of BC and northern AB.

Rat Fink
09-24-2011, 02:09 PM

bitteeinbit
09-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Lol I hot-shotted myself off the site when I quit. I lost it. I was there for 30 days straight. Sharing a room (2 room Atco Trailer) with the day MWD. I was the night MWD and the DD got the room on the end.

Sounds like a story! Please share :angel: :angel: :bigpimp:

240SX92
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I read the whole thread and didn't see a mention of where some green people could start looking for places to apply to, so does anyone have any recommendations? I've been searching through kijiji, jobbank, all those sites, finding random companies and emailing but haven't heard anything back from ONE of them. Nabors, Concord, Phoenix are a few I recall, but still don't hear back.

Ive gone through rig zone as well, that's mostly where I found a few, but basically what I'm asking is if anyone could describe a typical way for a new but interested in rig labour person to go about getting into one of these jobs? Anyone list some companies that would hire a completely green worker? Thanks for any help, appreciate it. I was told these companies are hiring like crazy but I think i've emailed about 10 of them and haven't gotten a single email back. My resume must be that lousy. :rofl:

Florida_Son
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 240SX92
I read the whole thread and didn't see a mention of where some green people could start looking for places to apply to, so does anyone have any recommendations? I've been searching through kijiji, jobbank, all those sites, finding random companies and emailing but haven't heard anything back from ONE of them. Nabors, Concord, Phoenix are a few I recall, but still don't hear back.

Ive gone through rig zone as well, that's mostly where I found a few, but basically what I'm asking is if anyone could describe a typical way for a new but interested in rig labour person to go about getting into one of these jobs? Anyone list some companies that would hire a completely green worker? Thanks for any help, appreciate it. I was told these companies are hiring like crazy but I think i've emailed about 10 of them and haven't gotten a single email back. My resume must be that lousy. :rofl:

From what I understand, you have to drive to the places and apply in person. I've read on a few message boards that a lot of resumes get overlooked online and via fax.

240SX92
09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Really? That's bad news Hahah. Unless the companies are located in Calgary, so anyone know any Calgary based companies that I could look into? And when I go to the office just say I'm looking for some rig labour work?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Really? That's bad news Hahah. Unless the companies are located in Calgary, so anyone know any Calgary based companies that I could look into? And when I go to the office just say I'm looking for some rig labour work?
Let me get this straight, you are trying to get a job that requires a lot of driving but are not willing to drive anywhere to apply for it ?

240SX92
09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

Let me get this straight, you are trying to get a job that requires a lot of driving but are not willing to drive anywhere to apply for it ?

When did I say that? I just meant at the moment I don't have the means of driving 3-6 hours north just to hand out resumes to come back at the chance I might get hired. I don't think that's a crazy thought.

Also there's such things as greyhound/Bus lines if I get said job.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I can see your level of comittment is pretty high. That'll serve you well once you do get a job.

240SX92
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Jesus christ what does this have to do with commitment. I said I don't have the means and that means automatically I'm lazy and uncommited? Grow the hell up.

Good to know 2 of you jump on my personal situation instead of lending a hand with some simple suggestions which I politely asked for.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
:poosie:

adamc
09-30-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd run you off just because you're a leafs fan.

Rat Fink
09-30-2011, 12:28 AM

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-30-2011, 12:31 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/boostjunkie1/ProfessorFarnsworth.jpg

240SX92
09-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Hahah Ok guys, you got me. You're totally right.

I'm lazy and don't give a shit or care enough about getting the job, i'm uncommitted and everything I post is bullshit.

You've got my entire life situation figured out from two posts, thanks for the free psychiatric evaluation and job aptitude test, where'd you guys school? Maybe I can half-ass that like you morons and win at the internet/trolling.

CompletelyNumb
09-30-2011, 02:20 AM
:whocares:

Rat Fink
09-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Florida_Son
09-30-2011, 08:30 AM
For those that work on the drilling rigs, how much time are you usually off due to Spring breakup?

brucebanner
09-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Jesus christ what does this have to do with commitment. I said I don't have the means and that means automatically I'm lazy and uncommited? Grow the hell up.

Good to know 2 of you jump on my personal situation instead of lending a hand with some simple suggestions which I politely asked for.

Drive to Nisku, look presentable, hand out all the resumes you care to hand out while there.

Come back to Calgary and I'm guessing within a business week you'll have an interview/job if you come across as being anything close to useful.

If you're unwilling to spend a day and a $100 looking for a job, stay in Calgary and start looking for something else that isn't in the oilfield.

lasimmon
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I'd run you off just because you're a leafs fan.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Florida_Son
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Anyone can recommend some drillers looking for green hands? Went to Savanna, Trinidad, Ensign, Patterson, and Akita today. Actually got to talk to recruiters at Trinidad and Ensign.

kwjent
10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
The key to getting a job is going to apply in person. I work in the industry and can tell you showing that you give a shit is step one. I've talked to some guys in the field and wonder how they are even still alive.

Have a decent resume, go up to Nisku and ask to talk to a recruiter. Dress well, not in a suit and show that you have half a brain. Follow up after the visit with a phone call.

Take this advice and you should get a job. Also, make sure that you have the proper certs. It shows that you have the ambition and may be serious.

Florida_Son
11-04-2011, 12:01 PM
The few drilling recruiters I have spoke with have basically said to keep calling once a week or in a few weeks--things are still slow. I wish I would have gotten out there in Sept. or early Oct. to apply. Just want to work man and get out of Saskatchewan. I mean no disrespect to the fine people that live here, it's just not for me any more.