PDA

View Full Version : Picking a job

Sugarphreak
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM

CompletelyNumb
09-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Is this a fresh in the workforce job, or a "I'm a man and can bite my tongue because I'm gonna retire soon" job?

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does buy early retirement. I'd take the 3rd on and ask for more money.

Sugarphreak
09-18-2011, 10:31 PM

FraserB
09-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I would go with number 2 and ask for more money. Even if a monetary boost is not possible I would still choose it. More pay and you get challenged which is a good thing (you seem like the kind of person who would hate doing the routine stuff I see the guys in your line of work doing).

Sugarphreak
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM

CompletelyNumb
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
2 + more money if it's long term.

I can't fathom not making money lol.

Rat Fink
09-18-2011, 11:43 PM

M.alex
09-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I picked #3 - highest wage - no stress for me because I follow what my dad taught me.

Look around your office - how many people in there honestly give a damn about you if you get ill? 0

Look outside - how many people do you see in an hour - thousands. How many give a damn about you if you get ill? 0

So, conclusion - don't stress out about a worthless job. Just do it, have fun, and just let stress fall off you.

Also, if the work is challenging that means nobody probably knows the right answer, so if you get bored you can just make up some random answers.

Sugarphreak
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Ven
09-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Happiness is the most important by a long way, but that's inclusive to a good wage. You won't be happy if you can't get anywhere and see a future.

davidI
09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
I picked #2. I am a #3.

93VR6
09-20-2011, 07:04 AM
It all depends on who you are, me for example, i'm shallow and for me money = happiness so I chose 3.

Sugarphreak
09-20-2011, 08:51 AM

flipstah
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
#2 is the best because of:
- Stable income
- Good managerial influence/relationship
- Challenging tasks at the workplace are a must(!) if you don't want to rot from the inside

Chandler_Racing
09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I would pick #3. My goal is to retire comfortably at 40.

I really don't get stressed out, so bring it on.

With that said, I would ask for 40%.... :poosie:

M.alex
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

*One cool stary bra coming up*

About 8 years ago I was in a company sponsored 'supervisor training' course; they gave out a list of 10 things and asked you to rate them from first to last on the scale of most important to least important.

After they did that they asked people to raise their hands for each item if it was your most important... to my surprise I was the only person in a group of about 20 people that put my hand up for "Salary"! I was feeling pretty shallow when that happened, lol.

The instructor for the course quickly pointed out this was pretty common for younger employees (which I was the youngest by far), and that what they found is statistically younger people value a high salary because they were in more need of it. As time goes on, other things like recognition and work flexibility started to become more important.

/Stary Bra

So don't be surprised if this changes over time!

Here's option 2 - older people are smart enough not to say money 1st because they realize that makes them seem shallow and not caring about their job.

By saying 'recognition' it makes it sound like they value their job and will be an excellent company asset.

nickyh
09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm #1 right now.

Voted #2, it's good to keep busy - the days go by faster, but it's important to have a good boss.

BrknFngrs
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
#2 in my opinion is the most desirable as it allows you to learn/grow, make a good wage and learn to deal with reasonable amounts of stress associated with this process.

I'd say that #3 is the worst by far. The stress a person gets from not understanding what they're expected to do and a complete lack of direction is absolutely draining and is unlike stress from "being too busy". I'd also say that the increased wages don't make up for it because unless you can compartmentalize perfectly it starts to degrade your time away from work as well.

For the record, I'm quite young and a year or two ago I would have picked #3.

brucebanner
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
#2 in my opinion is the most desirable as it allows you to learn/grow, make a good wage and learn to deal with reasonable amounts of stress associated with this process.

I'd say that #3 is the worst by far. The stress a person gets from not understanding what they're expected to do and a complete lack of direction is absolutely draining and is unlike stress from "being too busy". I'd also say that the increased wages don't make up for it because unless you can compartmentalize perfectly it starts to degrade your time away from work as well.

For the record, I'm quite young and a year or two ago I would have picked #3.

:werd:

Sugarphreak
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM

JfuckinC
09-20-2011, 01:00 PM
take #2 and work with the "good boss" to fix the management problems maybe? I couldn't do #3 personally.. #1 would be ideal, if the work was hard, everything about it would be good, but wouldn't you get bored?!

Sugarphreak
09-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Disoblige
09-20-2011, 01:08 PM
My part time job I do for fun is #1, and my career job now is #2.

I can't really imagine #3 unless you are somewhat unqualified for the line of work (regarding stress and not understanding). For example, if you were qualified for the job, even with the lack of direction you would be able to ask enough questions or inquire enough to make the job easier for you. And if they cannot do that for you, then technically it's not really your fault and I personally wouldn't be stressed out from it if I am doing good performance work with what I am given.

M.alex
09-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

There may be some truth to that if people are concerned with how other people or management view them.

Still though, having a job where people appreciate your efforts and you do work that you feel pride in can be rewarding.

When you look back at your life down the road and how many hours were spent doing it when you were in your prime; whether it was on a worthless job or a career you can be proud of could be worth the difference in the wage to some people.

You can be proud of your past while standing in the soup kitchen line at the Mustang Seed :rofl:

As you can tell, I disagree and believe money is the be all and end all :D