PDA

View Full Version : Calories to eat

Everlast
09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
ha guys!

I'm hoping to get some advice regarding the proper amount of calories to eat in a day.

I was under the impression that to maintain your weight you eat around 10cals/1lb body weight, or 12cals/1lb if you're more athletic.

I'm at ~170lbs, 5'10, and been eating ~2000cals/day.

I started working out over the past 5 weeks (took a 3 year break but worked out before) and getting great results, likely from muscle memory, but I dropped down to 163lbs.

I only lift weights and go hiking on the weekend but no other form of cardio.

Should I be eating a lot more or am I simply losing weight from working out again.

TIA

-relk-
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Goggle a caloric intake calculator (or something around there)

From what you described, depending how active you are, to maintain your weight you probably are in the 2500-2600 range. To gain a pound a week you need to eat around 3000 calories a day. You are eating considerably less, which shows in your weight loss. Depending on your goals, adjust accordingly, but take this with a grain of salt as I did not use a calculator or anything. There are many out there though, but many will give different results so nothing is set in stone.

bspot
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
I love being tall.

I just ran the calculator here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

and it says I can eat 2926 Calories/day for maintenance.

That means I can go to dinner with a chick, order the exact same thing, then go home and pound 8 beers to make up the difference.

wintonyk
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I love being tall.

I just ran the calculator here: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

and it says I can eat 2926 Calories/day for maintenance.

That means I can go to dinner with a chick, order the exact same thing, then go home and pound 8 beers to make up the difference.

Haha that hilarious.

I need about that many calories too.

To OP google harris benedict equation. Its kind of the standard for estimated energy requirement. IIRC

max_boost
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
It would appear that you are just burning more calories than you are consuming, hence the weight loss.

What's your body composition like? Would give you a better idea. Some people like the lean look, some prefer buff etc.

I dropped 15lbs this past summer and it's very noticeable (5'5). Vacation, plus being lazy, not eating as much, stopped weight lifting etc. I'm much leaner now and OK with that. I've maintained 90% of my strength.

Everlast
09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
According to that calculator I should be eating 2374 Calories/day

Guess that's about 1lb a week that I'm losing eating ~2000cals

I'll try adding another meal/shake to my daily consumption and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone.